Sleeping Bag For The Short Guy With Broad Shoulders

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input on sleeping bags, I’m short ( 5’6”) but have broad shoulders and have trouble finding a bag that I can not only zip all the way but also be comfortable in. Does anyone else have trouble with this and what are your recommendations.
TIA

im 5 8 and I like the 6 foot western mountaineer badger. Its a bit wider for a mummy bag, and I just added the bag extender to it for a few more inches of width.

Megalite, Badger, or kodiak from WM are wide. Pick one based on warmth needed. If you're beyond a little wide an extension will do the trick.

Sorry about that. Could not help myself. 😀

On a slightly more serious note, I have a 48-50 shoulder girth. Have had reasonably good luck with a montbell burrow bag and a Nemo forte. Liking the leg room in the forte and the shoulder room is enough.

Slightly more spendy but I but an EE covert quilt. You can make it to specs so plenty of options for room.

I don’t own one but I tried out a western mountaineering Kodak. If I ever need a “serious” bag upgrade I will go with one of those.

Last thought, I am a side sleeper and found this sea to summit pad. It is one of the only wide pads that is 6 feet long. Bonus it inflated to 4 inches thick. Like mine so far.

Yes! Traditional “wide” bag DO NOT WORK! I’m 6’1, 300#...need I say more!

I’ve finally found some bags that work. They key measurement, IS IT HAS TO BE A 80” shoulder measurement bag. Anything less(most are 65-68”), I’m not interested.

I’ve currently have a Klymit X-Wide, BA Whiskey Park 0*, BA Anvil 15* all are 80” bags.

I am curious though, can QUILTS work for a big guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 5' 7" and am at 50" shoulder girth . My Western Mountaineering Kodiak is the ticket ! 😉

Yes! Traditional “wide” bag DO NOT WORK! I’m 6’1, 300#...need I say more!

I’ve finally found some bags that work. They key measurement, IS IT HAS TO BE A 80” shoulder measurement bag. Anything less(most are 65-68”), I’m not interested.

I’ve currently have a Klymit X-Wide, BA Whiskey Park 0*, BA Anvil 15* all are 80” bags.

I am curious though, can QUILTS work for a big guy?

Absolutely a quilt will work. I know UGQ will make one as big as you tell them. They've posted pics of some whoppers. Just use a wide pad with a high R-value. I use a Klymit Luxe SL pad with a 20 degree UGQ bandit XL with 3 oz overstuff in winter/shoulder. Summer UGQ 40 degree quilt with Nemo Tensor wide pad.

Absolutely a quilt will work. I know UGQ will make one as big as you tell them. They've posted pics of some whoppers. Just use a wide pad with a high R-value. I use a Klymit Luxe SL pad with a 20 degree UGQ bandit XL with 3 oz overstuff in winter/shoulder. Summer UGQ 40 degree quilt with Nemo Tensor wide pad.

UGQ?

Back