Slams?

We know about the big ones...NA 29 super slam, Grand Slam.

Smaller ones being Bear Slam, Moose Slam, Caribou Slam, etc.

I know Colorado has a state slam, right? In my state our slam is pretty simple = Whitetail, Black Bear, and Turkey.

Thought I would start a discussion about this. There are a lot of "Slams" out there. The rich guys use it for obvious reasons, and I don't want to start a bragging board, that is totally not what I am about. But, I do have some personal goals and it is fun to hear about the different slams, maybe some not so common. Maybe you have your own personal slam. Let's hear about it!

Not sure what an Idaho slam would be but in 2012 my hunting partner and I killed turkeys, cougar, wolf, bear, deer (muley), and elk...?

I think the sheep slams are the coolest for sure!

Mike

OP
big10hunter
HC, that's a pretty full agenda, congrats on a successful season.

Not too many of us can afford the Grand Slam. I'm 1/4 GS, hoping to draw a Desert tag someday and be 2/4. The Stone and Dall are out of my price range.

mtnkid85

WKR
Maybe a little different deal, but Ive used my same rifle to kill all my game animals except my very first deer.
Id like to keep using that rifle when Im given the chance at a new animal. Kind of a Rifle slam, I guess?

ckleeves

WKR
Colorado has the big 8 which I think includes elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, mountain lion, black bear, mountain goat and rocky mountain bighorn. The big 10 ads on desert sheep and Shiras moose.

BigSurArcher

Banned
I'm hoping to complete the deer slam one day, all archery would be cool. I've got Whitetail, Mule deer, and Blacktail out of the way. Planning on going for Coues next January, and Sitka sometime down the road. Neat thread.

dotman

WKR
About to complete a squirrel slam in my attic! According to the neighbor the trophy is the albino.

Craig4791

WKR
I'm shooting for the Super Ten first. Going to be awhile but I'm thinking I can make it happen in the next 8 years as long as I don't get skunked a bunch :)

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Being from Michigan I started what I call the Mighty Mac Slam. Named after the the Macinaw Bridge. Which includes every game species in the state.
Small and big game. Which gives me about 20 species all to hunt with the longbow. I'm about 1/2 way done and it's been a lot of fun. Believe it or not the small game is harder than the big game. Ducks and woodcock aren't that easy to hit with a bow.
That's y it's the MIGHTY MAC SLAM.

OP
big10hunter
About to complete a squirrel slam in my attic! According to the neighbor the trophy is the albino.

Lol x2, Squirrel slam! Never even thought of that. That's doable. Gray, black, fox, red, ground(chipmunk). Should give a special name to it if you could do it in one day. An Albino would be the real prize, kinda like a Desert Sheep. Should we offer some type of certificate or plaque? Lol.

Last edited:
OP
big10hunter
I thought the Big 10 was Whitetail, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Antelope, Elk, Bighorn, Mountain Goat, Mountain Lion, Moose and Grizzly. Is this different than the Super Ten?

I thought the Big 10 was Whitetail, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Antelope, Elk, Bighorn, Mountain Goat, Mountain Lion, Moose and Grizzly. Is this different than the Super Ten?

I've never heard of the big 10, but I know what the Super 10 is. It's any deer, moose, elk, bear, caribou, and sheep plus mountain goat, antelope, mountain lion, and a bison or a musk ox. That's the Super 10.

Deer
Elk
Sheep
Bear
Caribou
Moose
Antelope
Mt. Goat
Mt. Lion
Bison/musk ox

Craig4791

WKR

Super Ten is one animal from each of the ten categories.

Bears
Alaska Brown Bear
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear

Cats

Cougar

Deer

Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Deer
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer

Elk

Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk

Caribou

Barren Ground Caribou
Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou

Moose

Alaska Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose

Bison/Muskox

Bison
Muskox

Goat

American Mountain Goat

Antelope

Pronghorn Antelope

Sheep

California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep

OP
big10hunter
I bought a picture back when I was a kid. It had the big 10 listed as I have shown above. If I ever dig it out I will post a pic. So I guess like my original post, we may each have out own "Slam", this picture has always meant a lot to me so I guess I will just have to consider it my own personal Slam. nothing wrong with that, eh?

I do have high excitement considering there is a Squirrel Slam out there with my name on it. Maybe I can use this to get my kids their first "Slam". :)

The big 8 and big 10 are for Colorado I believe they were started by the CBA. My dad just needs a shiras and he will have the big 10 with a rifle, I just need to draw a mtn. goat and bighorn and I will have my eight completed.

Daniel_M

WKR
Alaska Sheep Slam.

1 ram from every mountain range. There's been talk of a few folks pulling it off, certainly a tough challenge.