Size 16 Wide Recommendations

Looking for my ogar brothers out there. I’ve only used danner pronghorn in the past but the quality has really gone downhill.

I typically wear a 16. Since switching to barefoot shoes a couple years ago my feet have gotten wider. I don’t see many wide boots in 16.

What is everyone using?

kravguy

WKR
I got lucky and scooped up a barely used set of Kenetreks for my Yeti like son. He wears 16, bordering on 17s in some shoes. I already threatened him that if his feet continue to grow, I will start cutting toes.

He has a big, wide foot. On all the hunts he's been on already, I've never once heard him complain about his feet. Might be a good start option for you.

Thess87

WKR
Kenetreks for me. Crispi had one model as well but I don’t recall which one it was, they didn’t fit me well. I love my kenetreks and the CS has been nothing but great for me.

Check out Lowas. I think they probably have the best selection of big boots. I have the Tibets in size 16 and they are great.

Kevin

OP
O
Check out Lowas. I think they probably have the best selection of big boots. I have the Tibets in size 16 and they are great.

Kevin
Those look like the pronghorns from danner and I only get 1 season out of those. What is your experience with how they hold up? What country do you hunt?

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Interested to see if any good ideas pop up here myself, as a size 15/16 depending on brand I’m desperate to find a mountain boot even if slightly less supportive than Tibets, Kenetrek, etc.
My Tibets are showing their age, only waterproof now with a ridiculous amount of SnoSeal melted into them, and although I’d buy them again, all the sudden can’t find any in stock in 15/16 sizes. It’s like they disappeared.
I’ve gone the Kenetrek route, my size 16 mountain extremes were ok at first, but the leather stretched out really bad on a sheep hunt (prob at about 100 miles on the boots total) and they never were stable or fit right again after that, can’t lace them tight enough, eyelets are almost touching etc.
Schnees Granites in 15 are about a 1/2 size too short although show promise otherwise as working for me.

I’ve gone waaay down the internet rabbit hole, starting here and then elsewhere looking at Scarpa, Alfa, Hoffman, Meindl, La Sportiva, Crispi, Lowa, Schnees, etc etc… every option that comes in 15+ is either out of stock/unavailable or historically runs smaller than Lowa or small/narrow in general (Scarpa recommends ordering a 1/2 size up for example) but when you’re at the biggest size… not an option.

I’m down to about to try calling Lathrop, calling Hoffman, or taking a gamble on ordering in/trying a few like Alfa Bever Perform (their sizing table would indicate that compared to Lowas they’ll be about 1/2 size too short) or Lacrosse Ursa and returning if needed. Any ideas from the ‘Slide?

In summary, where did all the big boots go? Our options used be few, but now they’re fewer yet. Makes me worried they’re being cut to control cost of running a business these days or something. Rant over, thanks.

Onys

FNG
I hear you on the Danner quality dip. For wide boots in a 16, check out the Keen Targhee II. They’ve got a roomy fit and decent durability. Also, consider checking out custom boot makers if you're open to that.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: went back and looked again, looks like the Nevada and Briksdal MTN (maybe others) are made up to a 15, this is potentially promising.

I’m not aware of any Crispi that’s made larger than a size 14, currently. Their website isn’t the easiest to filter by size on though so I may have missed a model. After clicking one by one into each boot long enough there’s potential to skip one by accident haha

Last edited:
Those look like the pronghorns from danner and I only get 1 season out of those. What is your experience with how they hold up? What country do you hunt?
They are definitely not like pronghorns! I’ve had mine for about eight years now and they’re still doing great. The gortex in them stopped working but I just keep them greased up good. I don’t use them in early season much usually in November and through the winter. I just bought some Crispi Laponia lll’s for early season and I really like them so far.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
In case this helps anyone, I went on a boot ordering/fitting trial spree with Crispi and Scarpa in search of my next go-to boot other than the Lowa Tibet (size 15). Context for other bigfoots, Kenetrek size chart puts me at a 15.5-16 for reference, and their ME’a in 16 have ample (too much) room/width/length after they stretch, would try a 15 Narrow Kenetrek if I had to go that route. Apparently my foot isn’t narrow, but thin(ish)/ low volume. Wear a size 15-16 depending on brand, D width.

Crispi Briksdal MTN - Size 15, wanted to love it, fit was good, light and tough seeming, more flexible than what I’m used to but that’s ok and has its benefits at times… except, for my foot there’s too much fabric/material on the inside half of upper just in front of the ankle, so when bending knees/ankles articulate (toes closer to shins) the material would fold over/start to make a wave that pinched the hell out of the middle of my instep/side of forefoot. Otherwise excellent, but that killed it for me.

Crispi Nevada Legend -Size 15, a little shorter in length than Briksdal, wider forefoot almost sloppy but the main killer was the tongue/lacing was flimsy enough/forefoot sloppy enough I couldn’t lace them tight enough to get any stability or prevent my foot sliding forward to jam into the front when simulating descent. Also, odd little ‘ledge’ in front of my heal, but super feet would fix that.

Scarpa Charmoz HD - Size 50 EU, Wanted these to work the most for a mountain/sheep boot that can dry fast even if they’re a little abusive during break in. They are stiff/rigid as advertised but when people say they are narrow/smaller last for size they aren’t kidding. Foot fits in them, but is up against the end of the boot, every toe, and tight all the way around before lacing. Shame, not for me, I’d say I’d need a EU 51W or EU 52 for them to work. Slightly shorter in length than the Schnee’s Granites (15M) I picked up last year that are just too short/narrow for any real use/long hikes, similar width/general fit, and slightly stiffer in feel. (By the way if anyone wants a good deal on the Schnee’s Granite let me know, killer mountain boot I just can’t get them big enough for me)

Scarpa Manta Tech GTX - Size 50EU, now there’s a good fitting boot! Maybe slightly longer than my Lowa Tibets, similar width, maybe slightly more snug in the midfoot on the sides, less lacing pressure required to keep heal planted when new. Just wide enough up front I can splay my toes a bit and wiggle them, seems like an excellent insole (so far) except maybe a tiny bit of focused heel pressure on the bottom but again, if that becomes a bigger deal, super feet will fix. They seem bomber tough, and as advertised are quite stiff, 80% ski boot sole stiffness, probably won’t like them as much as Tibet if walking flat hard ground for a long time, but maybe the same after they break/wear in a bit. First impressions are very positive in terms of fit as someone who has only ever really liked the fit of the Tibet long term. Warmer than Tibet as they have 200 gr insulation which would have been nice on last years November Kodiak bear hunt sitting in the wet/snow for hours watching a bear play peek a boo with us while the wind ripped in between climbing up/across steep rugged stuff. I do like how the insulation and padding offers support without have to crank laces down really hard but doesn’t seem to limit ankle articulation as much as I was concerned it might.

Anyway, these are the findings of my expensive quest so far (shipping to AK can be brutal) hope it helps any other fellow bigfoot out there that’s trying to get an idea what to buy at the top of size scale offered by most all boot companies.

OP
O
In case this helps anyone, I went on a boot ordering/fitting trial spree with Crispi and Scarpa in search of my next go-to boot other than the Lowa Tibet (size 15). Context for other bigfoots, Kenetrek size chart puts me at a 15.5-16 for reference, and their ME’a in 16 have ample (too much) room/width/length after they stretch, would try a 15 Narrow Kenetrek if I had to go that route. Apparently my foot isn’t narrow, but thin(ish)/ low volume. Wear a size 15-16 depending on brand, D width.

Crispi Briksdal MTN - Size 15, wanted to love it, fit was good, light and tough seeming, more flexible than what I’m used to but that’s ok and has its benefits at times… except, for my foot there’s too much fabric/material on the inside half of upper just in front of the ankle, so when bending knees/ankles articulate (toes closer to shins) the material would fold over/start to make a wave that pinched the hell out of the middle of my instep/side of forefoot. Otherwise excellent, but that killed it for me.

Crispi Nevada Legend -Size 15, a little shorter in length than Briksdal, wider forefoot almost sloppy but the main killer was the tongue/lacing was flimsy enough/forefoot sloppy enough I couldn’t lace them tight enough to get any stability or prevent my foot sliding forward to jam into the front when simulating descent. Also, odd little ‘ledge’ in front of my heal, but super feet would fix that.

Scarpa Charmoz HD - Size 50 EU, Wanted these to work the most for a mountain/sheep boot that can dry fast even if they’re a little abusive during break in. They are stiff/rigid as advertised but when people say they are narrow/smaller last for size they aren’t kidding. Foot fits in them, but is up against the end of the boot, every toe, and tight all the way around before lacing. Shame, not for me, I’d say I’d need a EU 51W or EU 52 for them to work. Slightly shorter in length than the Schnee’s Granites (15M) I picked up last year that are just too short/narrow for any real use/long hikes, similar width/general fit, and slightly stiffer in feel. (By the way if anyone wants a good deal on the Schnee’s Granite let me know, killer mountain boot I just can’t get them big enough for me)

Scarpa Manta Tech GTX - Size 50EU, now there’s a good fitting boot! Maybe slightly longer than my Lowa Tibets, similar width, maybe slightly more snug in the midfoot on the sides, less lacing pressure required to keep heal planted when new. Just wide enough up front I can splay my toes a bit and wiggle them, seems like an excellent insole (so far) except maybe a tiny bit of focused heel pressure on the bottom but again, if that becomes a bigger deal, super feet will fix. They seem bomber tough, and as advertised are quite stiff, 80% ski boot sole stiffness, probably won’t like them as much as Tibet if walking flat hard ground for a long time, but maybe the same after they break/wear in a bit. First impressions are very positive in terms of fit as someone who has only ever really liked the fit of the Tibet long term. Warmer than Tibet as they have 200 gr insulation which would have been nice on last years November Kodiak bear hunt sitting in the wet/snow for hours watching a bear play peek a boo with us while the wind ripped in between climbing up/across steep rugged stuff. I do like how the insulation and padding offers support without have to crank laces down really hard but doesn’t seem to limit ankle articulation as much as I was concerned it might.

Anyway, these are the findings of my expensive quest so far (shipping to AK can be brutal) hope it helps any other fellow bigfoot out there that’s trying to get an idea what to buy at the top of size scale offered by most all boot companies.
Pretty comprehensive list here. Thanks for the help!!!

OP
O
Edit: went back and looked again, looks like the Nevada and Briksdal MTN (maybe others) are made up to a 15, this is potentially promising.

I’m not aware of any Crispi that’s made larger than a size 14, currently. Their website isn’t the easiest to filter by size on though so I may have missed a model. After clicking one by one into each boot long enough there’s potential to skip one by accident haha
Good find. I think you’re right.