Sitting Tripod for Glassing.

Jakerex

WKR
Looking for a lightweight tripod and head for glassing. Glassing will be done almost exclusively in the sitting position with an angled 65mm athlon spotter, which is about 3lbs. Standing height tripod is not of concern.

I’ve done a lot of reading and still haven’t been able to narrow it down too much. It’s like information overload here with some topics…., especially those that I don’t know much about….

Can you all recommend a tripod and head, say under $300, that would best fit my needs?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
A sirui or slik 634, mine is super light works great seated or standing, got it on sale with a ball head which was okay for 150 I think… look for 4th of July sales

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
A sirui or slik 634, mine is super light works great seated or standing, got it on sale with a ball head which was okay for 150 I think… look for 4th of July sales

Thanks man. I was checking out the 634. I saw the 632 is newer, a bit different with only two leg sections, and lighter. Not seeing much feedback on it though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks man. I was checking out the 634. I saw the 632 is newer, a bit different with only two leg sections, and lighter. Not seeing much feedback on it though.

Love my 634, just know it will only handle up to 65 maybe 70 objective type scopes well, bigger heavier glass will need a beefier tripod

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider

I use the older version of this. Worth checking out to see if it meets your criteria..

mthayr

WKR
I have the Slik 632 with the Tricer LP head - really slick combination, especially at 1lb 9.8oz. Solid platform to glass off of, going to try shooting off it with my Kimber .308 (sub-8lb gun) next time I can get to the range. About $380 though (unless you catch a sale - then probably closer to $320), so a little higher than your original price range.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I have the Slik 632 with the Tricer LP head - really slick combination, especially at 1lb 9.8oz. Solid platform to glass off of, going to try shooting off it with my Kimber .308 (sub-8lb gun) next time I can get to the range. About $380 though (unless you catch a sale - then probably closer to $320), so a little higher than your original price range.

So, what makes that Tricer LP head better than the rest? Are there any similar that are a bit less $$$?

MC2FS

FNG
I have a 55mm and 77mm spotter and some 10x42 binos that I use regularly on a tripod.
I recently picked up an Aziak Backcountry Lite while they were on sale after comparing my sirui to a buddies Aziak. The collapsed size, weight, and stability were all very noticeable. I put a Tricer LP head on it to keep it as light as possible. At 1lbs 8.6oz all in, I don’t think you can beat it. However, it does come in above your budget.

My first setup was a Sirui T024SK with VA5 head for under $300. It was ok but left me wanting less weight and more stability.

mthayr

WKR
what makes that Tricer LP head better than the rest? Are there any similar that are a bit less $$$?
Weight-to-performance-ratio is what makes it better. The Sirui VA-5 head works ok (not as smooth), but it is 3X the weight. At $100 for the VA-5, you're better off with the buy-one-cry-once mentality and getting the Tricer, just my $0.02.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Weight-to-performance-ratio is what makes it better. The Sirui VA-5 head works ok (not as smooth), but it is 3X the weight. At $100 for the VA-5, you're better off with the buy-one-cry-once mentality and getting the Tricer, just my $0.02.

I hear you on that! This website spends a lot of my hard earned $$$$

I run the VA-5 on one tripod and the Tricer LP on another. Both tripods are Slik 624's. Love the weight of the Tricer, but it takes constant adjusting of the tension when I change my viewing angle from level to downward, etc... The VA-5 is much better for long glassing sessions because you can set it and forget it. This is especially nice when it's cold because I can move my optics with my face and keep my hands in my pockets. I just put in over 16 hours behind the glass over the weekend, and was so annoyed I was using my Tricer instead of the VA-5. I have a ton of time behind both of them, and IMO the only advantage of the Tricer is the weight.

I strongly recommend the Slik 624. Absolutely love my two.

slik sprint mini with a va-5...
IMG_6192.JPG