Sitka WS Kelvin Down: WOW!

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I got this jacket last hunting season but it was never cold enough to wear it. I'm heavily invested in First Lite merino gear and that system works great down to about freezing or even lower if I'm moving all day, I realized last year I lacked a good puffy (I've been using an old 850 Down Stoic that served me well but is now rather flat) and the Kelvin is definitely filling that hole!

I walk every morning before work in a large section of public land by my house. With this super cold winter (most mornings below 15° F) I found myself putting on the Kelvin more and more. I won't wear it above 25°, and even at that I have it unzipped most of the time as I walk. The local river flooded this week, so I walk through the woods for about half a mile to get to the trail, I was afraid of ripping my brand new $400 puffy on the brush but holy cow the wind sheer fabric is extremely tough!

I was expecting the coat to be warm per everyone else's reviews but didn't realize how tough the shell would be. This is an amazingly versatile coat that I can't wait to get out into the stand. By far the warmest piece I have ever owned. Somehow however, it is also able to walked in for a decent distance without me overheating. The larger size and adjustable bottom elastic allow me to get some ventilation while I walk and prevent me from sweating. It really is a perfectly designed coat throughout. The elastic cuffs at the wrist are great as well and fit over all my gloves but keep the warm air in very well.

I got it in Optifade Subalpine, and it's a perfect camo for hardwoods in the winter. Most camo's are far too dark and this works great for fall and winter.

I'm 185 Lbs and the Large is perfect. Allows for as much layering as I would want but also works well with just a light layer underneath.

IMG_20220225_074522558_HDR (1).jpg

Bearsears

WKR
Yeah I love that jacket. Its been really cold here in Colorado and I've been wearing it everyday. Its amazing how warm it is

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I observed is that after wearing it 5 times or so it becomes much more puffy and warm and the wind shear material is much quieter. It's far quieter now than standard thin shell down coats that always swoosh when you move. I've noticed this with most Goretex fabrics.

This is my late season go too jacket. It is amazing how warm it is and the way it blocks the wind. I have had this jacket on multiple sub zero hunts and have been completely warm. And that is coming from someone who gets cold very easy. If your hunting in really cold temps or get cold easy this jacket is where its at. Just don't try and hike in it lol.

Bearsears

WKR
Its too bad Sitka is discontinuing it. Hopefully thay have something new or a new version in the works.

2531usmc

WKR
This is a fairly new release. Why do you think it’s being discontinue?

Its too bad Sitka is discontinuing it. Hopefully thay have something new or a new version in the works.

I am hoping it’s an updated model! Puffy coats are only getting more popular and especially dedicated glassing style jackets. I can’t see them backing out. But we’ll see!

Bearsears

WKR
I have no idea why they are discontinuing it. I was told that in an email from one of the popular online hunting gear suppliers awhile back and it certainly seems to be the case because everyone is selling out of them.
If I had to guess, they are either making a different piece with aerolite insulation (John Barklow the big game product manager isn't the biggest fan of down in the backcountry) , or updating this one with some other features.
Idk how its sold for them in the line, but I know mostly everyone thats every used it absolutely loves it and for good reason.

I finally decided to buy mine after a 3rd season Colorado deer hunt with a friend. One day we were pinned down by does while it was rain/sleeting and we couldn't get rain gear on without being busted. We sat there for 2 hours getting pelted. When the does fed off, my buddy took that thing off and shook it and it was still almost bone dry.
Next day was single digits with really high winds. I had a base, windshirt, mid, light down jacket and an Uncompghere on and I was freezing. He was fine. He let me put his kelvin down ws on for a few minutes and I was sold.

Seeknelk

WKR
I absolutely love mine! If it's late season here ,it's worth the slight weight penalty over my lighter one for sure! It's like sitting in a sleeping bag warm.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Any more news on a replacement or a reason this is being discontinued?

patton-7

FNG
I got this jacket last hunting season but it was never cold enough to wear it. I'm heavily invested in First Lite merino gear and that system works great down to about freezing or even lower if I'm moving all day, I realized last year I lacked a good puffy (I've been using an old 850 Down Stoic that served me well but is now rather flat) and the Kelvin is definitely filling that hole!

I walk every morning before work in a large section of public land by my house. With this super cold winter (most mornings below 15° F) I found myself putting on the Kelvin more and more. I won't wear it above 25°, and even at that I have it unzipped most of the time as I walk. The local river flooded this week, so I walk through the woods for about half a mile to get to the trail, I was afraid of ripping my brand new $400 puffy on the brush but holy cow the wind sheer fabric is extremely tough!

I was expecting the coat to be warm per everyone else's reviews but didn't realize how tough the shell would be. This is an amazingly versatile coat that I can't wait to get out into the stand. By far the warmest piece I have ever owned. Somehow however, it is also able to walked in for a decent distance without me overheating. The larger size and adjustable bottom elastic allow me to get some ventilation while I walk and prevent me from sweating. It really is a perfectly designed coat throughout. The elastic cuffs at the wrist are great as well and fit over all my gloves but keep the warm air in very well.

I got it in Optifade Subalpine, and it's a perfect camo for hardwoods in the winter. Most camo's are far too dark and this works great for fall and winter.

I'm 185 Lbs and the Large is perfect. Allows for as much layering as I would want but also works well with just a light layer underneath.

View attachment 384685
I have this jacket too. Haven't got to use it much because it's been too warm, but when I have used it i have been fairly impressed with it

TravisIN

WKR
Well I bought one before they can’t be found anymore. They were going quick and got a good deal. More money gone because of rokslide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pawlyb

FNG
Now they're really gone. Anyone hear anything since then about a replacement?

I saw them on camofire in the past few days for $250.
I went with the first lite chamberlain 3 years ago and still not convinced I made the right choice.