sitka 90% vs. mountain

jm1607

WKR
Have it narrowed down between these 2.. I know there's a ton of these threads but I have a few specific questions..

Why does the mountain weigh alot more when the 90% is supposed to be for colder temps?

For active timberline hunting, but cold weather (10s-40s) which would be a better choice if I can only backpack in one (wear in, not in pack)? Would the 90% get too hot after a 4-5 mile hike?

My attack pants are not warm enough for me in late hunt, not even with my merino underneath.. That's why I started this thread! I wasn't freezing, but I was not comfortable.. How much warmer do you think the mountains would be? Would they be worth an extra 15 degrees or so of warmth? Should I skip the mountains and go with the 90%s?

**Just wanted to add I get a little colder than most people do

Last edited:

jhall239

FNG
I may be wrong but I have both 90% and Mountain pants

The only real difference I can tell is the mountain pants have knee pads or a place for them and built in belt. I have never actually used the pads took them out first rattle out of the package

I have a pair of the new 90% that just feel a little different. Too me not enough difference to frett over

danarnold

WKR
new for 14 90% is more breathable than my mountain or timberlines, 90 would be the ones I'd pick for warmer days, pm me if you need a good price on a pair of them

Kotaman

WKR
For what you describe, I prefer the Timberline pants as well, but an even better choice might be the KUIU Guide pant. I have all of the pants you're talking about here and for late season, the Guides are my favorites, followed by the Timberlines.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I've read a couple reviews that said the timberlines were louder than the other 2 because of the extra material in the knees and butt.. What do you timberline owners think? That's the main reason I was going to go with the mountain..

I have the timberlines. It's never crossed my mind to consider them noisy. Maybe the inside of the boot cuff, but not the knees or butt. Love the waterproof seat for all conditions. Way more durable if you do any sitting and glassing.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm on the other side of the fence as Kotaman (prefer Timberline over guides), but the noise is a non issue.

Here's a photo of the Non camo timberline pants.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417229600048.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417229600048.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 133

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have Timberlines, Mountain, and new 90%. I'd pick them in that order for what you describe. They will all work but I consider the 90s the lightest of all 3. As for noise, I guess if you are specifically banging and whacking stuff as hard as you can accross the waterproof knees on the Timberlines they may be slightly noisy but I've worn them a TON and it is a NON issue.

kodiakfly

WKR
Yep, Timberlines. Awesome pants. I have beat the hell out of mine, slid downhill on my butt, etc and they've been awesome. Noise is not an issue in the least. As for temp control, I adjust my undergarments accordingly from just boxers, all the way up to Power Stretch fleece and then roll with whatever comes. If the Timberlines had a side zip to let out some heat they'd be perfect and you could wear them year round. But I'll take the side pockets over a zip in terms of useability. The pockets are big and I use them all the time. They're a tough pant.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been on the waiting list for the Timberlins in 32T for a while now.. ;) they run a tad short in the regular length, or at least the pair I tried did.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I too love the Timberlines. I did cut out the waterproof material by the boot cuff because I found it a bit noisy when I wasn't wearing gaitors.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found out yesterday that they are in the 2015 Catalog and will ship in May!