Single man shelters

steeleb3

FNG
I’m looking at a couple options for single man shelters, just for myself, my packs feelings won’t get hurt getting left outside for the night under the pack cover. I always rock a tarp out as well so I can set that up for better sitting room. I just want something light, floored, enough room to sleep in, I’m only 5’10 but 240 lbs

So far I’ve got on the list is the

stone glacier sky air full set up (tent mesh vestibule) what ever you need for a full tent

Big Agnes copper spur 1 man

I don’t see to many options for 1 man tents

Looking for some reviews on the two above or any other options out there, not two man tents, I already have a tipi if I share with 2-3 people.
MSR Hubba Hubba (2man). Light weight, and spacious enough for a a little comfort without adding a ton of weight. Packs small; weighs little and great in severe weather. The fly construction allows for you to keep you pack outside the tent but covered u see the fly. Easy to set up for one person and goes up in a couple mins. For a big guy, the extra 600grams is worth the comfort.

If you’re wanting to count grams, single man bivy is your Best option, but it’s going to be snug for a big man, and not too comfortable.

CCH

WKR
I bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 HV a while ago in lieu of some sort of bivy. Have hardly used it, and keep thinking I should sell it to get a two man with more versatility, but the weight is still pretty compelling. Don't sell the side entrance short. That really makes a difference. Regardless of weight, I won't go with a front entrance small shelter again.

sacklunch

WKR
Hard to beat Hilleberg. Hilleberg Soulo is the best of the best if weatherproof and durable are your top concerns. Followed by the Hilleberg Akto and then the Enan.

If you are looking for lighter weight and durability is not as big of a concern (along with saving yourself a few bones) MSR Hubba and Big Agnes Copper Spur would be where I would look.
Soulo is a Rockstar in all seasons, don't forget you can drop the inner out and have a floorless shelter for Sept/warmer weather

SDeel

FNG
A Bear killed my tarptent rainbow after 6 years of use this year. I can’t bring myself to buy something different to replace it. 35 OZ, under $300, the ability to add extra support for high wind or snow load. That “1p” tent has enough space to keep my pack and gear inside, or camp with the lady as a 2 person. Something you def don’t get with the BA fly creek. Tents
How often do you run into bears while hunting and camping up in the mountains. Something I haven't done yet is sleeping up in the mountains. Looking for advice

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
How often do you run into bears while hunting and camping up in the mountains. Something I haven't done yet is sleeping up in the mountains. Looking for advice
It all depends on the bear density of where you are. We usually run into 1-2 black bears every sept during elk season. They turn and run the other way. Usually not a concern, but this is not grizz country. If you are concerned about bears take precautions like hang your food away from your camp and carry sidearm/bear spray.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Very very rarely in central Idaho do we even see them. Don’t let that story of my tent freak you out. That was a super unique situation. I left that tent setup for over 3 weeks because my area closed due to a wildfire. (I had planned to leave for 2 days of work and be back) but that fire jumped a huge distance And kept me out. so a bear inspecting the shit out of it isnt as sketchy as it sounds. Black bears are generally wimps. I’ve only had one act tough and that was in AK. Only way to face your fear is to go do it. You will gain confidence as you do it more. I used to be pretty nervous sleeping in griz country but it’s worth the adventure.

SDeel

FNG
Very very rarely in central Idaho do we even see them. Don’t let that story of my tent freak you out. That was a super unique situation. I left that tent setup for over 3 weeks because my area closed due to a wildfire. (I had planned to leave for 2 days of work and be back) but that fire jumped a huge distance And kept me out. so a bear inspecting the shit out of it isnt as sketchy as it sounds. Black bears are generally wimps. I’ve only had one act tough and that was in AK. Only way to face your fear is to go do it. You will gain confidence as you do it more. I used to be pretty nervous sleeping in griz country but it’s worth the adventure.
Thank you I really appreciate that ease of mind. I'm excited to get into this kind of hunting

The first backpacking tent I ever bought was a REI brand 1 man tent. There brand of products have always been very high quality, and have been durable.

The models have changed since I bought one there a LONG time ago, but they still have a few one man tents. The 3 season ones are around 3.5 lbs and $99.00 or $159

Might not be a bad option if you not looking for the lightest, best, and most expensive

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
The seek outside silex is by far my favorite. The ziperless design is awesome to me with tons of room and space for gear. Also capable of running a full next as well as a stove without the nest. Super versatile and awesome shelter. Great weight as well

taskswap

WKR
Until I can afford one of the fancy $800 DCF tents, my go-to is still a River Country Trekker 2. It's 2lbs 12oz out of the box but it's effectively lighter than that because while it's a trekking-pole tent like other ultralights, it can be hung from a ridgeline if you prefer. I hunt with only one trekking pole so I always have a hand free, and that saves me 8oz as well. So I'm closer to 2lbs 4oz which is very competitive at $65.

This is a single wall tent but it has vents and I've never had a problem with moisture, although I hunt in CO where it's more dry than other areas. It technically sleeps 2, but I use it as a very spacious 1-man and have plenty of room for all my gear.

If anybody is curious I did contact them at one point and asked if they were ever going to make a DCF version, since I like their main product so much. They said no. :( But still, for anybody looking for a budget-friendly option, it's nice to know there's an "almost ultralight territory" option below $100...

judders87

FNG
I've been really happy with my Tarptent Stratospire 1p. Lots of room and double vestibule space. Set up takes 2 minutes. I'm 5'11" 190lb for reference.

cbuck516

FNG
I need to upgrade my tent this year. I am looking at the Tarptent DW Moment.
I really like my tarptent moment DW. Have both the solid and mesh liners as well as the extra pole. Adds a lot of versatility for me and the weather expectations on a hunt. Really comfortable for 1 person and pack fits nicely in the vestibule.
Do you think there is enough room in this tent to be able to run your jetboil while sitting in your sleeping bag? I have a heavy 3-man tent that I have been using and really enjoy having enough room to be able to make my coffee in the morning without having to get our of my sleeping bag at all.

cbuck516

FNG
Another TarpTent user here for "floored" shelters.
I have a Moment DW for true single-man size and use. Super easy and quick to setup and can be used with just the inner net or outter tarp if you want to go floorless.
You might consider looking at a two-man tent just for some extra elbow room without much weight gain. I used the TT Double-rainbow for several years until an asshole bear destroyed it while I was out of camp this season. No food or good smells inside, just a jerk bear moved in and hammered a couple of our groups tents!
Do you think there is enough elbow room in the DW Moment to be able to operate a jetboil type stove while sitting in your sleeping bag? I don't mind having some of my gear outside of the main tent, but curious just how much room there is under the vestibule to keep gear dry and move around a bit. Last year was in the single digits for three mornings in a row and I really appreciated being able to reach all of my gear and make coffee without having to get out of my sleeping bag. That tent is way too large/heavy so I'm looking at lighter options with a smaller footprint.

Steelhead

FNG
Do you think there is enough elbow room in the DW Moment to be able to operate a jetboil type stove while sitting in your sleeping bag? I don't mind having some of my gear outside of the main tent, but curious just how much room there is under the vestibule to keep gear dry and move around a bit. Last year was in the single digits for three mornings in a row and I really appreciated being able to reach all of my gear and make coffee without having to get out of my sleeping bag. That tent is way too large/heavy so I'm looking at lighter options with a smaller footprint.
It would be super tight inside the tent but it could be done. It's a tiny bit wider in the middle but I'd be a little nervous about burning the netting if I wasn't careful. Vestibule is definitely doable though, I typically have my JB full of water sitting in the vestibule overnight and light it up for coffee while still in my sleeping bag. It's not in the tent with me but easily reachable. Then I can fumble around inside the tent without the fear of spilling...more or less LOL. One vestibule side for my pack and rifle, the other for boots and coffee.

I need to upgrade my tent this year. I am looking at the Tarptent DW Moment.

Do you think there is enough room in this tent to be able to run your jetboil while sitting in your sleeping bag? I have a heavy 3-man tent that I have been using and really enjoy having enough room to be able to make my coffee in the morning without having to get our of my sleeping bag at all.
One of the nice things about this tent is you can adjust the footprint and control how big your vestibule is. But yes, there is enough room (in my opinion) to easily use a jetboil in the vestibule while hanging out in your sleeping bag.

Stone Glacier ultralight tarp, its great, comes with several options like a removable vestibule, mosquito netting, floor board.

Robens Starlight is great, it does it all! I love this tent, I have owned it for a number of years now and it has been tested to the full in all weathers. It is exceptionally waterproof and withstands the wind very well, I love the ease of setup and the comfort it provides when erected.