Single man shelters

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty happy w the rei quarter dome sl1. Right around 2#if I recall correctly. vestibule, 3ish season that stands up to decent weather.
I had it at 11,000' for a few days on Mt rainier and it held up well in slushy snow storm. Had it guyed out well and shook the slush off periodically.
For the price and warranty, not a bad pick.
eecc3d957c5e57876c7dbe72583ce108.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

sargent

WKR
The Tarptent Aeon Li has been great for me the last two years. It's held up in wind and snow and the weight (19 oz.) is really hard to beat in a fully floored and bug proof shelter.

fatlander

WKR
Seek Silex is another great option, that’s what I’ve got. I hunt with a guy that’s got the six moons lunar solo. It’s a great tent.

I had the sky air. It’s a coffin and I hated the top load aspect of it. Getting in and out was a pain, and keeping your sleeping area clean was difficult due to that fact. I’m 5’ 10” 180# and I felt like I was filling the sky air to brim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't praise my Hilleberg Niak enough, absolutely love it. It's not cheap, but rock solid and if not the most light-weight option, still pretty packable.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Tarptent Aeon Li has been great for me the last two years. It's held up in wind and snow and the weight (19 oz.) is really hard to beat in a fully floored and bug proof shelter.
tough to beat for right around pound that includes mesh door (and vents), full bathtub floor, decent vestibule and the ability to withstand decently bad weather

CY2EvT1.jpg

OP
Brook.Trout
I didn’t know these tarptents were so popular, don’t know why I haven’t heard much about em!

Another for the TarpTents. This year was my first with a Rainbow. I spent around a dozen nights in it, including a snow storm above treeline with some pretty wild winds. It has spots to add trekking poles to the main poles and extra guy outs. With those in place it can handle some very serious wind. Quick and easy to set up anywhere, it's my new favorite.
The Silex is pretty good. May dump rain/snow on gear when opened, and I had to replace the line locks with prusik knots. Very light for the amount of room and also capable of handling storms above treeline.
Didn't have a good experience with the Lunar Solo. It's extremely pitch sensitive, not a lot of head room, and the single stitch seams aren't particularly strong. I kept trying to like it over 3 years and 20 nights or so, but I used it for the last time this spring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have the StratoSpire Li and absolutely love it. Very quick to set up and sturdy in the wind. Dyneema is the only way to go for a tent if you are backpacking anywhere outside of the desert where you will encounter rain and wind. Tarp Tent has great customer service and offers lifetime repair tape patches for their products.

OP
Brook.Trout
I’m at the point I’ve narrowed it down to durston and tarptent, I like that di pole style and the durston x mid. Now I’ve never looked into dcf and it’s another rabbit hole to go down! To me seems like a better option, especially for my self in British Columbia

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Another shelter to at least look at is the one or the two by gossamer gear. I have the two and like it a lot. Room for pack and bow, less than 2 lbs. better ventilation than the one . But it looks like you're headed down the dcf path and that opens up a lot more lighter options.
I would have thought seriously about the hyperlite unbound 2p if it had been available.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
b601ab2b5415358a58075641557316a8.jpg

Last edited:
BA copper spur UL 1 owner here. got it at REI garage sale, returned for being "TOO SMALL", around $300. I like it but it is really at least 3# with footprint, stakes, and everything else. It has been good to me in all weather for 5 years of hunting early season at 11K feet to subzero temps in snowy late seasons. But there are lighter options and this is pretty expensive at at least $400. i would check out tarp tents/tipi style shelters. A LOT less weight if you aren't married to idea of a floor and freestanding, conventional double wall design. Check out BA tiger wall if you are married to conventional tent style. Newer design, it is a lot lighter but needs to be staked down at one end to erect it (not truly freestanding).

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo Hornet Elite has been great for me. Easily fit the two dogs and I in summer and plenty of room for gear when hunting.

OP
Brook.Trout
BA copper spur UL 1 owner here. got it at REI garage sale, returned for being "TOO SMALL", around $300. I like it but it is really at least 3# with footprint, stakes, and everything else. It has been good to me in all weather for 5 years of hunting early season at 11K feet to subzero temps in snowy late seasons. But there are lighter options and this is pretty expensive at at least $400. i would check out tarp tents/tipi style shelters. A LOT less weight if you aren't married to idea of a floor and freestanding, conventional double wall design. Check out BA tiger wall if you are married to conventional tent style. Newer design, it is a lot lighter but needs to be staked down at one end to erect it (not truly freestanding).
Got myself a tipi already! I had two seeks and now a lite outdoors 5 man. I just want mesh/floor tent for big season. Gets bad up in northern bc beginning of august sheep hunting! I find adding a nest to a tipi just gets to be heavier than a conventional floored tent so I’d rather just find a small light bug free shelter haha

let us know how you like the tipi. my brother just ordered big agnes tiger wall 3 P for our backpacking muzzle loader deer hunt next year. i will lose the 3P big agnes manzanares we have been using, agreed to give it to wife in the divorce as it is the nicest/newest tent that she may want

OP
Brook.Trout
let us know how you like the tipi. my brother just ordered big agnes tiger wall 3 P for our backpacking muzzle loader deer hunt next year. i will lose the 3P big agnes manzanares we have been using, agreed to give it to wife in the divorce as it is the nicest/newest tent that she may want
I have a buddy that took one on a sheet hunt, used for two guys, seemed to hold up well and he’s got videos of a crazy windstorm he was in. All sorts of room for two men.

I met hunters on a sheep hunt this year and we both shared a main base camp, good guys we shared stories by the fire at night but they were just finishing their hunt and we were just starting. The 3 guys shared the lite outdoors plateau and you could still fit a fourth forsure, but then it would get tight not much room for packs if you did that.

I switched from the seek silvertip which I enjoyed but it was small. I’ll be using my tipi for later season hunts, with a stove and hopefully find myself one single man tent for my early season sheep hunts.

hikenhunt

WKR
I got the tarptent protrail a while back and it works great. Looks like they have done some upgrades since I got mine.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m looking at a couple options for single man shelters, just for myself, my packs feelings won’t get hurt getting left outside for the night under the pack cover. I always rock a tarp out as well so I can set that up for better sitting room. I just want something light, floored, enough room to sleep in, I’m only 5’10 but 240 lbs

So far I’ve got on the list is the

stone glacier sky air full set up (tent mesh vestibule) what ever you need for a full tent

Big Agnes copper spur 1 man

I don’t see to many options for 1 man tents

Looking for some reviews on the two above or any other options out there, not two man tents, I already have a tipi if I share with 2-3 people.
@SLDMTN any thoughts for him on the SG Solus you're working on?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
@SLDMTN any thoughts for him on the SG Solus you're working on?
Depending on the OP’s targeted climate I think the Solus could be a great option. For reference my favorite 1 man shelter to date has been a Hilleberg Akto. The Solus has potential to claim the throne. It’s essentially an old Bibler with modern updates.

Modular tent setup that’ll allow the user to go minimalist or full bomb shelter. Very happy to see another company going to a rainfly first pitch design as an option. It has an incredibly small footprint with the option of staking in one of the side vestibules. When forced to camp on a bench there have been several times that vestibules are a major disadvantage.

There are a few things about the Solus that I need more real world use to form an opinion on but that should be put to the test this weekend as long as the seas aren’t too rough.

I’ve used several of the tents mentioned in this thread and will not trust them for where I guide/hunt. They have their place in more favorable conditions but I won’t use them. Big Agnes makes a great lightweight tent but I’ve seen a Copper Spur break poles, the Tigerwall folds under high wind. Full disclosure my 2 man tent is a Copper Spur Expedition, I’d almost call it a budget Hilleberg.

When someone mentions a Tigerwall and you hunt in the mountains where pitching in a perfect spot isn’t an option, remember this photo…that’s a body outline inside the tent.
be1d43dcecd4554521f8f0cdd140a9eb.jpg

Last edited: