Simple cooler upgrades

I do a similar PVC mod to all my coolers. Just cut and lay in the bottom. Yours is much more refined.

I do need to put some foam around the lid and love the latches to pull the lid down tight.

Good call outs above about filling the lids. A somewhat easy improvement. It all adds up and is cheaper than a new cooler.

I've also replaced some of my cooler hinges with metal ones after the plastic ones break. That should allow more clamping force.

Button

WKR
I’ve done this to my coolers in the past. It worked great, especially for several day fishing trips in the summer

I see metal hinges for Igloo coolers on Amazon. I've installed metal ones on my Coleman Xtreme and like them well enough.

Love the PVC rack idea.

Cooler handles are always my nemesis. Thinking your fire hose hinges (nice!!) might provide some brain seed for fabbing handles...

I DIY’d the DIY! I’ve got a firefighter buddy who hooked me up with an old, decommissioned hose. I asked for 12”, he have me 50’! Not as pretty as the Amazon version, but definitely functional.

If anybody wants enough for your cooler, holler. I can’t see it costing more than a stamp to send them your way.

c7c40af1a16243a41e1fc7383353d441.jpg

c886335fe698db4c90cbd0a46949cf76.jpg

fbe209834a5ad16afbdd9fab0d34a001.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
Cooler handles are always my nemesis. Thinking your fire hose hinges (nice!!) might provide some brain seed for fabbing handles...
I have kicked around ideas for replacement handles on one of my cheap coolers where the originals ripped off. If anybody has, or comes up with a good idea I am all ears. I thought of drilling holes to run a piece of rope through and tying the ends off in the cooler, but i figured holes in a cooler aren't good for its insulating properties. My cheap coolers will keep ice longer than I can ever get away for. I just need a way to carry them when they are partially full.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
My old Igloo 120 has been through 3 sets of hinges. It's currently wearing thick leather hinges cut from an old belt. I will be trying the PVC rack for sure though.

MeatBuck

WKR
I DIY’d the DIY! I’ve got a firefighter buddy who hooked me up with an old, decommissioned hose. I asked for 12”, he have me 50’! Not as pretty as the Amazon version, but definitely functional.

If anybody wants enough for your cooler, holler. I can’t see it costing more than a stamp to send them your way.

c7c40af1a16243a41e1fc7383353d441.jpg

c886335fe698db4c90cbd0a46949cf76.jpg

fbe209834a5ad16afbdd9fab0d34a001.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d leave the plastic hinge on with the cut piece of hose. Even if it’s broken it will act as a washer for the screw heads.

MeatBuck

WKR
Does Walmart still sell Lifetime rotomolded chests for like $100? 55 or 70qt. 7day ice retention.
Why not just buy one (or two) of them?
I’ve fit all the meat from large boar black bears in the 55 a couple times. Put a small bear in the 70 whole.
I come home with ice after a 4-5 day hunt in 70-80degree weather. Usually get a 20lb bag or 2 7-8lb bags depending on what the store has. I never open the bags, just lay them in on top of everything. Usually have a few frozen drinks in the mix as well. Makes it easy to get to stuff without ice falling into the hole it came out of. If you can fit the bags in without breaking up the ice it holds even longer.

CedarPost

FNG
Yep, wrapping a blanket around the ice in the cooler really helps. Especially if it's a wool blanket

Build the pvc rack the same as you would any irrigation system. Tees, caps, 90's etc., all watertight. In place of one slip on cap, install a threaded plug. Fill the pvc "rack" 70% full of water and freeze it. Kill two birds one stone, a reusable ice pack that keeps your meat off the wet bottom. If your freezers won't fit a rack that size, build two smaller ones and lay them side by side

OP
5 shot group
Build the pvc rack the same as you would any irrigation system. Tees, caps, 90's etc., all watertight. In place of one slip on cap, install a threaded plug. Fill the pvc "rack" 70% full of water and freeze it. Kill two birds one stone, a reusable ice pack that keeps your meat off the wet bottom. If your freezers won't fit a rack that size, build two smaller ones and lay them side by side
I like that idea. Definitely something for a "gen 2" model 👍