Simple cooler upgrades

LostArra

WKR
I have a smaller Coleman Marine cooler that I did some of the 'upgrades' to; I find the Marine coolers kind of like the Xtreme models - a bit better than run of the mill coolers but still cost effective. They also seem to be insulated lids which is a bonus. This one smaller cooler has those can holders in the lid though - which we all know makes a thin area of no or little insulation. So I 'fixed' that:

Had some foiled faced rigid insulation laying around - 1" I believe - from a house project. Cut into that and made insulated fillers for the can holes. Perfect thickness. Sealed the edges with silicone.
View attachment 736724

Picked up jack nuts [see post #45] and countersunk stainless machine screws [hex head] and a white polythylene cutting board.
View attachment 736725

Cut the board to fit the raised area of the cooler lid which also covers the insulation filled can holes.
View attachment 736726

Drilled the corners of the board and cooler lid to get holes aligned; installed the jack nuts in the lid. Countersunk the holes in the board for the machine screws; ran a bead of silicone around the perimeter and assembled it all.
View attachment 736727

View attachment 736729
Now, no thin insulation spots on the lid and I have a small cutting board.
Brilliant! and nice photography.

I don't understand the physics or chemistry of this get but it definitely works.

Last edited:

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Brilliant! and nice photography.

I don't understand the physics or chemistry of this get but it definitely works.
I believe this is what they pack the Hello Fresh things with, I saved a 1/2 dozen and refreeze them, seem to work well except for the thin plastic bags getting pinholes and leaking. Easily solved with a heavier bag.

I added a huge 3" nylon webbing and shoulder strap, plus swivel snap hook for attaching it to my cooler. This allows me to be able to carry a large 9' umbrella, two Tommy Bahama chairs, the cooler (igloo marine 36 qt.), a ladies bag and a kids toy bag to and from the beach. It doesn't sound like a lot, but we have 32' drop of stairs we have to get to our beach. Then, one still has to walk to the condo. The strap allows my hands free to carry other things.