Sight Upgrade

I’m currently using a Fuse archery 5pin and it’s okay, but sorta feels cheep and I can manually move it, although it comes back to perfect alignment. I’m looking for an upgrade and am considering Black Gold and Spot Hogg. Anyone have any horror stories about failures/breaks/etc with these sights? I obviously want the most rugged sight possible.

Dove tail or not to dove tail?

Find a Spott Hogg used for around $200. Have to be patient but they are out there. MSRP on sights is getting crazy. Mine fell 50ft down a steep slope on my bow and no adjustment needed after the fall. Bow and sight performed ruggedly.

Spot Hogg grinder is probably the most bomb proof fixed 5 out there. Or an older hunter. If I were going fixed, it would be SH. No knock on BG or Axcel etc, but SH just builds absolute, overbuilt tanks. Some say too overbuilt with their sliders, but no doubt they are the most rugged.

I shoot Black Gold sliders, I have 2 Mountain Lites with the short direct mount ML3 base, and a 5 Pin Pure Adrenalin with the wing truss dovetail. Given the choice, Id stick with the ML3 direct mount base unless you travel a lot with it in and out of a case then a dovetail might make more sense.

OP
isItFallYet
I’m definitely a fan the dial. For my 5 pin I like to have my pins set at 20,30,40, 50, and 60. If I need to shoot further, I can dial.

The SHs seem to be pretty heavy, which I guess has pros and cons.

JStol5

WKR
Don’t overlook HHA. Incredible sights that are very easy to use, they have a 4 pin slider. They also have the best customer service I’ve had at any business, bar none.

3forks

WKR
The benefit of the dovetail is that it will allow you more ability to align your peep and scope housing.

The pins on MBG sights are very bright, but so are Spot Hogg’s.

I‘ve never seen or heard of a durability issue with MBG sights, and I know a lot of guys shooting them.

Spot Hogg is certainly durable, but is heavy and generally considered overbuilt.

The location of the sight tape is personal preference, but I prefer it not be on a dial.

Being able to set and adjust the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis on MBG is simple. I’ve never tried to set the axis on a Spot Hogg, but assume it’s also easy.

However, I was listening to Kifarucast episode with Tim Gillingham, and heard both Aron and Tim state that you can’t adjust the 3rd axis on a Spot Hogg, and Aron stated that’s the reason he‘s not using them anymore.

As soon as I heard that, I tried to Google whether that info was correct, but I could not. I know that Tim and Aron know what they’re talking about, but again, have no way to verify that info.

I know you can’t make a wrong decision with either Spot Hogg or MBG.

I had a spot hogg hunter 5 pin fixed, it absolutely had third axis adjustment. Maybe the new lineup is different, but it's tough to think they'd delete an essential feature. I currently shoot a MBG ascent verdict, it's better for me and has done great on 2 diy elk hunts. SH pins were way too bright for my eyes in mid-day sun, but I'm more light sensitive than most folks.

Holocene

WKR
Gillingham said Spot Hogg doesn't have a true first axis adjustment -- it does have a great 3rd axis adjustment. For first axis, you mostly need this if you shoot the bow with any sort of natural cant. Gillingham does. Levi says he does. Spot Hog's sight (and many others) are machined so that the first axis is level when the bow riser is level. Gillingham said he jerry rigged first axis adjustment on Spot Hogg sights by adding washers to shim the sight mounting block where it connects to the bow.

All this said, the higher end Spot Hogg sights are bombproof and agreed can be found for a deal. The major cons to me are 1) no first axis 2) tapes are harder to put on/remove than major competitors and 3) you have to be careful of cheap Chinese knock offs. Call Spot Hogg to ask what to look for.

CB4

WKR
I have owned both Black Gold and Spot Hogg. Currently running the spot hogg. Both are very durable and bomb proof. The two benefits I like are the sight picture is bigger and the wheel is easier to turn on the Spot Hogg. However I like the BG pins more and also like that the sight tape is on the inside. Try both.

3forks

WKR
Gillingham said Spot Hogg doesn't have a true first axis adjustment -- it does have a great 3rd axis adjustment. For first axis, you mostly need this if you shoot the bow with any sort of natural cant. Gillingham does. Levi says he does. Spot Hog's sight (and many others) are machined so that the first axis is level when the bow riser is level. Gillingham said he jerry rigged first axis adjustment on Spot Hogg sights by adding washers to shim the sight mounting block where it connects to the bow.

All this said, the higher end Spot Hogg sights are bombproof and agreed can be found for a deal. The major cons to me are 1) no first axis 2) tapes are harder to put on/remove than major competitors and 3) you have to be careful of cheap Chinese knock offs. Call Spot Hogg to ask what to look for.
Thanks for clarifying this.

I thought I must have misheard that info.

I've got a 3 pin black gold slider I'll be selling soon, Swapped over to a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie Triple Stack and absolutely love it. set up for 30-40-50 but can slide the top pin all the way out to 80 without vane contact.

Zac

WKR
The Grinder does not have a 3rd axis so I would stay away from it. Spot Hogg is great, their third axis is just a pain compared to companies like Black Gold, or HHA. Can't go wrong with Spot Hogg, Black Gold, HHA, or Axcel. I would probably stay away from CBE and anything else ran by the Outdoor Group.