Sight tape issues

njwan597

FNG
I shoot a Matthews V3X 33 that is sighted in, over the weekend I was shooting at 60 yards and I noticed I was shooting low, I adjusted yardage until I was hitting bullseye again, my sight tape then read 64 yards. I moved farther to shoot at 80 yards, again I was only shooting accurate with my sight tape set to 84 yards. Has anyone experienced this? My sight tape was very snug and I was unable to move it by hand so I don't think it moved on me with the vibration. Wanted to see if someone else has experience this before I spent the money taking to a bow shop

Is your sliding pin loose? Did that sliding pin shift? has your peep shifted? anchor point changed? Needle pointer moved a smidge? Have you previously calibrated your sight tape at those distances?

OP
njwan597

njwan597

FNG
Is your sliding pin loose? Did that sliding pin shift? has your peep shifted? anchor point changed? Needle pointer moved a smidge? Have you previously calibrated your sight tape at those distances?
My sight wheel is usually pretty solid in place when I try to move it by hand so I don't think it moved on it's own. Shooting form, peep, arrows, etc have all remained constant. I've shot at 60 a few days a week for the past few months so it's a distance I'm familiar with. Since I'm just as far off at 60 as I am for 80, I'm maybe thinking that the vibration of shooting caused the sight tape to vibrate out of place? It was very warm and sunny so the glue on the back of the tape could have became a little liquidized.

Lytro

WKR
It was very warm and sunny
Is the bow pretty new? String stretch could cause it, and the heat certainly wouldn't help with stretch. You would probably have peep rotation/alignment issues as well though.

CCooper

WKR
Sight tapes have never been accurate for me, even custom computer-generated ones from my local bow shop. I mark the sight with a pencil and cut them up with scissors and place appropriately, then a strip of clear packing tape over the top.

Jbehredt

WKR
Is it on at 20 and 40? May just need a slower tape. If this is a sudden occurrence did you adjust draw length or draw weight?

STLLWTR

FNG
Sight tapes are finicky! Even top pros have issues with tapes, some often having 3-4 stuck to their riser for outdoor tournaments. Not a big deal, just resight in and check it often! Always good to make sure your bow is a constant. Good strings (not factory) are the biggest investment you can make. Not make a bow more accurate, but more sustainably accurate over time. Factory strings are built in bulk, custom strings are hand crafted and go through specific process to perform for a longer period of time without moving.

WoodBow

WKR
The longer the distance you use to establish your sight tape, the more precise it will be. Sounds to me like you need to move down a sight tape or two.

The option archery sights come with a reference for 50 and 80. If I sight it at 20 and then establish which sight tape to use off of my 80 yard adjustment, it is dead nuts all the way to max yardage for me.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
My first suspects:
Peep moved. Try pushing it up/down, will it move? It takes very little peep movement to get a POI change.

Wrong tape. I have gotten the wrong tape a few times if I only use 20 and 60 to pick one. I like to mark 20, 40, 60, 80 to pick a tape, always the right one when I do that.

String stretched and timing changed. Do both cams still hit at the same time (or however you had it setup)? Best checked in a draw board. Stretch could also change draw weight and draw length slightly.

You are anchoring a bit differently for some reason. Are you centering the sight housing and unconsciously changed to centering the pin instead? Was sight moved in or out? Same release being used?

Something was changed. String stop adjusted? String silencers added, or some other weight to the string? Felt on rest changed?

Wheels

WKR
My first suspects:
Peep moved. Try pushing it up/down, will it move? It takes very little peep movement to get a POI change.

Wrong tape. I have gotten the wrong tape a few times if I only use 20 and 60 to pick one. I like to mark 20, 40, 60, 80 to pick a tape, always the right one when I do that.

String stretched and timing changed. Do both cams still hit at the same time (or however you had it setup)? Best checked in a draw board. Stretch could also change draw weight and draw length slightly.

You are anchoring a bit differently for some reason. Are you centering the sight housing and unconsciously changed to centering the pin instead? Was sight moved in or out? Same release being used?

Something was changed. String stop adjusted? String silencers added, or some other weight to the string? Felt on rest changed?
I'm guessing it is an anchoring issue. I struggled with the same thing at longer ranges and realized that my anchor was slightly changing on the long shots, I.E. I was leaning into the bow more to center the sight housing.

Luked

WKR
Peep fade at longer distances is what I would take a guess at.
Set your Peep for perfect at 60.
Just a guess. but i am thinking as your moving back your peep isnt in the correct height and your dropping your anchor a tad to combat it to get a clear view through the peep at longer distance.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re using one of the standard sight tapes that came with the sight, it’s highly unlikely that it’ll match your setup at every yardage. There are so many factors (arrow weight, broadhead, vanes, etc) that contribute to how fast your arrow loses velocity.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Sight tapes have never been accurate for me, even custom computer-generated ones from my local bow shop. I mark the sight with a pencil and cut them up with scissors and place appropriately, then a strip of clear packing tape over the top.
I do the same as Cooper, I end up piecing them together.

DanimalW

WKR
Are you dropping your bow arm to watch the arrow instead of following through? Could be something as simple as that.