Sig Zulu6 PRO (NEW GLASS)

I'm really torn between the pro version and the regulars. Looking forward to hearing what you guys find out when you get the Pro version in hand.

Sig is wiping the HDX from the market. The decision will made for you shortly.
This is true, but I'm sure i'll still be able to find them someplace for a good month or so. Main thing is to wait long enough to hear the initial reviews of the pros and make a decision after that.

Bugger

FNG
I just called Sig customer service and they said there aren’t any plans to discontinue the 42’s. Makes sense to keep them around since the 50 Pro’s are a new line instead of just an update like the HDX’s were to the original grey model.

j_volt

WKR
I just called Sig customer service and they said there aren’t any plans to discontinue the 42’s. Makes sense to keep them around since the 50 Pro’s are a new line instead of just an update like the HDX’s were to the original grey model.
That is great

tdoublev

Lil-Rokslider
I thought these new Pros were only going to be made in currently unavailable magnifications. So there would only be a 14x and 18x version

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
If anybody finds these with a promo code that works for a little discount, I'll be purchasing and would be happy to provide an opinion on these as a direct comparison to the Zulu6 12x42's of which I ran last year. Just need to find a discount from full price.

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the previous gen HDX 16x42s shortly (almost immediately) after Cliff Gray raved about them on YouTube.

Some things stand out to me about the new crop:

1) Regarding the previous-gen HDXs, the PHs seem to agree that the 12Xs were better despite having the same field of view as the 16s because of exit pupil. They reported more disappointing performance in dawn/dusk situations with the 42mm at 16 power.
2) I see that the new HDX Pros in 16x50 have about the same exit pupils as the previous 12x42s. That is enticing. The magnification of my 16s with the low-light performance of the old 12s.
3) I notice that the new HDX Pro 18x50s have the largest field of view of them all. More magnification and more FOV at the same time. This seems to really be getting into "leave the spotting scope at home" territory. Too bad the exit pupil shrinks back down to about where my previous ten 16x42s are.
4) The new ones weigh 12oz more than the previous ones (34 oz vs 22 oz).
5) I think that in order for me to be willing to accept the additional price and weight penalty of the new HDX Pros, with all its implications for handholding comfort, I'd need to see tangible improvements in the quality of the glass to match the larger objective size/exit pupils offered by the redesign.
6) I'm also curious to hear reports about the new "single-mode" image stabilization. With mine, the "normal" mode works for panning around comfortably while the "boost" mode makes the bino feel like it's on a tripod, with a lag effect that would be quite nauseating if panning around much. Whoever reviews these will need to pay attention to that.

PS - Scopeist is offering a discounted price of $1,392 for the 16x HDX Pro, $1,479 for the 18x.

Last edited:

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATED after 48hrs use:

Mine came in last night, 16x50's. Delivered from Scopelist. Super early, initial review here...

This is in comparison to previous generation Zulu6 12x42's.

Pro's:
-Not having to switch from stabilization mode to target mode is very nice, you just have the singular click and you're done
-Glass appears to have much better lighting, as expected
-Truly feels like a solution to carrying one singular optic and ditching the spotting scope (For me, this is what I was after with ultralight backpacking)

Con's vs the 12x42's:
-Holding the 16's seems quite a bit more challenging with one-hand. You feel this with both the size of the platform and the ounces.
-Similar to point one, because the optics are larger, it's very challenging to click the stabilization button on with one hand when you first pull your binos out. It’s doable with one hand, but cumbersome, and you need to almost use two-hands for a second for the button, and then you can switch back to one hand.
-The stabilization button and the focus wheel gap is kind of far apart, this gap makes you have to readjust your grip if you need to go between (you don’t really need to do this much with the addition of the automatic target mode now).
-It's possible that auto shift back and forth from the two types of stabilization may cause further dizziness/sickness. I don't personally any problems with this but I did “feel” it in my eye strain a little when using… but this may just be me adjusting from a previous 12x to 16x so the eye “feel” is more. Makes me wonder if I should have got the 14’s.

Ultimately, my thoughts are:
Worth the investment if you hunt larger landscapes and multiple species, and the idea of a singular optic solve all is enticing. I love them so far as this is me, and they are just manageable enough to maneuver as my only optic for archery elk with all the benefit when I’ll be in bigger country for other seasons.

However, if you are not a western hunter are only a bowhunter, or maybe just hunt east coast with smaller landscapes, I’d say go with the previous generation 12x42's.The ease of one-handing should outweigh the improvements in glass and the auto target/lock-on mode feature.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
Mine came in last night, 16x50's. Delivered from Scopelist. Super early, initial review here...

This is in comparison to previous generation Zulu6 12x42's.

Pro's:
-Not having to switch from stabilization mode to target mode is very nice, you just have the singular click and you're done
-Glass appears to have much better lighting, as expected
-Overall, just a nicer setup at 16x50 and truly feels like solution to carrying one singular optic and ditching the spotting scope. For me, this is what I was after with ultralight backpacking.

Con's vs the 12x42's:
-Holding the 16's seemed way more challenging one-hand as one would do pulling from a harness, but still very doable and a tradeoff vs the previous smaller platform, and the additional ounces you do feel when one handing. For me this is a tradeoff as one-handing ease is pretty important bow-hunting when holding bow in other hand.
-Similar to point one, because the optics are larger, it's very challenging to click the stabilization on with one hand when you first pull your binos out. You need to almost use two-hands for a second, and then you can switch to the one.
-The toggle from the on/off switch to the clarity dial gap is kind of far apart, and you have to shift your hand and adjust to go in-between, again making you feel like you need two hands. However, if you just click the stabilization on and keep it on for your session, not a bit deal.
-It's possible that auto shift from target mode to lock on mode may cause further dizziness/sickness. I don't personally any problems with this, but for anybody who does it shifting back and forth could actually be problematic for some.

Ultimately, my thoughts are. If you hunt multiple species with various landscapes and looking for a spotting scope replacement these seem like the solution. Love them so far for my use-case as I hunt bow, muzzleloader, rifle in the western states.

However, if you are only a bowhunter or east coast hunter with smaller landscapes, go with the 12x42's previous generation as the ease of one-handing for that type of hunting will outweigh the improvements in glass and the auto target/lock-on mode feature.

Hope this helps!
The 12x42 and the 16x50 have a similar exit pupil, so in theory this should help us understand how much better the ED glass/coatings are. Any chance you could do a side by side at dusk/dawn and report back?

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
The 12x42 and the 16x50 have a similar exit pupil, so in theory this should help us understand how much better the ED glass/coatings are. Any chance you could do a side by side at dusk/dawn and report back?
I sold my 12x42s prior to the purchase of these unfortunately, sorry

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Updated my original review above, mostly just small edits. Still love them after 48 hours and they were quite a bit lighter at first light. Definitely keeping them.

Very curious to hear anybody else’s initial reviews.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I don’t have enough time to get a set in before I leave for my elk hunt but I’m encouraged by your review. I previously picked the 16x42s over the 12s because I didn’t like the narrow FOV even though the 12s were optically a good bit better for me. I’m excited to try the 16x50s, I’ll probably still keep the 10x30s on my chest. I use those the most even though the stabilization is more “valuable” in the higher mag.

I pre-ordered the 18's with Doug as well. Excited to see how these stack up against my HDX 16's. Love those except at low light. NL's and a BTX setup were on my shopping list this year but after running the 16's I have zero desire for alpha glass that still requires lugging around and setting up a tripod.

[mention]Camera Land [/mention]

Any update on shipping dates for these Doug? I’ve emailed and tried calling to get an update on my pre order but no info so far. I called and spoke with you before pre ordering and you expected them by now.