Sierra’s nickel-plated brass

Does anyone know who makes Sierra’s nickel-plated brass? Specifically the stuff used in some of their factory loads like the Prairie Enemy line. And is it good quality for precision reloading?
Asking for my bolt action .204 ruger with 35gr bergers on deck.

B23

WKR
Have you tried asking Sierra who makes the brass they use in their loaded ammo?

I just recently talked to Sierra and asked who makes the brass they use in their loaded ammo, ironically enough it was regarding some of their 204 Ruger ammo particularly the Prairie Enemy 36gr BK stuff, and got the smartass answer of "what does it say on the rim". When I pushed further and told the Richard Noggin it says Sierra but I wasn't aware Sierra makes brass he told me they don't divulge who makes the brass they use in their loaded ammo. Guess I wasn't aware the brass Sierra uses in their loaded ammo was some kind of industry secret. Maybe you'll have better luck but they guy I talked to was a D-bag.

rcook10

WKR
Doesn't Sierra own Starline now? I'd be surprised if they don't just use in house components for their ammunition.

edit: the ammo is loaded by BHA. BHA allegedly runs mostly winchester brass at their spec with their own head stamp. Wonder if this is the case for the sierra ammo.

Last edited:

OrthoNPBeau

FNG
Classified Approved
Seeing that Starline is a stones throw away don the road and (I think) there is a family connection between the 2 companies you ca guess what my answer would be.

I've only reloaded nickle brass one time.

Not saying I wasn't doing something wrong. But it went thru the dies terribly hard.

I would never consider sizing nickle plated brass ever again.

Scottf270

WKR
Nickel brass is nearly all I use. I like nice pretty ammo but am lazy on brass polishing. Rcbs case lube has always worked well. The Starline guess sounds like a good one?

I asked a Sierra employee (outside of work) about whos brass they use for the Sierra branded 6 creed match ammo and was told federal. Wouldn’t be surprised if the nickel plated stuff is also federal since fed seems to do that to a lot of ammo.. I do think they use a variety of brass manufacturers though.

B23

WKR
I do think they use a variety of brass manufacturers though.
I suspect you are correct and that's why the Sierra Tech I talked to was so evasive about answering the question when I asked him who's brass Sierra uses in their ammo. Maybe they're concerned it'll look bad if they say we use whoever's brass is the cheapest bidder. ;)

WCB

WKR
Sierra has used various vendors for brass...BHA loads some for them. Federal used to load some of Sierra's offerings.