Sidearm or Not?

Huntnnw

WKR
Ill never be the guy who wishes he had one when its needed. Id rather carry and not ever have to use it then wish I had one in a situation. Ive shot 2 wounded bears with mine, and shot at a tweaker trying to knock my window out of my rig in the middle of the night hiking up the trail.

I carry a larger caliber pistol when backpacking and Elk hunting, I have had a few occasions when I was glad I had it. I don't conceal when doing so because most of my pack options have a waist strap that impedes appendix carry.

Always is with hunting western states, no matter what. I'd rather have it and not need it, vs need it and not have it.

Pdzoller

WKR
Had way too many odd encounters with people in the woods. Usually near roads but the worst one probably scarred me for life. Plenty of reasons on the thread Creepy Experiences in the backcountry.

I always carry a sidearm. No grizzlies.....solo hunting elk, archery, this past season, i was packed in for several days. Quite a few black bears in the area i was in. I woke up first night to a bear damn near standing over my head. It was at my head side of tent and moved said tent. A very loud " HEY BEAR!!!?#×?!!" sent booboo crashing off. BUT, I felt much better I immediatley had a handgun in my hands.

I carry in Montana but never bothered to carry in Colorado, Utah or Idaho. I have never fired my handgun while hunting. I carry a Glock 10 mm. Cause it's one of the lightest higher power hand guns that I'm aware of and holds more rounds than a revolver.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I cary a 10mm Glock when in Griz country. I have pulled it one time with a Griz at 35 yards, did not fire since bear was just as surprised and decided I was not for dinner.

Glock 29 at all times. I'm not a big fan of mixing up my basic kit, and I like to have everything in the same place every time I go out. It keeps simple mistakes to a minimum, and in Montana you never know what you'll run into.

In all my years outdoors, Ive only had one bear charge, got between sow and cubs. Not fun. She broke charge before I had to fire. Otherwise never felt uncomfortable with any animals other than the two legged ones. Too many have just made me uneasy. Small weight penalty to be a little more at ease.

HOT ROD

WKR
Did not have my gun on me one time archery elk hunting and came very close to needing it if the situation would of went bad the odds were not in my favor for sure....

rocknry09

FNG
How many of you carry a sidearm when archery elk hunting in wilderness areas but not grizzly territory? And of those who do carry, have you ever actually needed it?
Personally didn't carry when elk hunting in Colorado but one of the members in our 3 person group did. We saw 1 black bear and it was very scared of us and ran away. I think I would carry in grizzly country.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Occupies a similar place in my mind to a Garmin InReach.

I was out a few years ago and had 3 black bears (sow with cubs) circling my camp and had only my bow, with my 8 year old in tow as it was getting dark. Tried all of the usual stuff to spook them off, no dice. Had to pack up and move. Same hunt had some dudes rummage my camp while I was across the canyon hunting the am. Had I been there would have been glad to have some protection. Both cases wish I had it, now dont leave without it.