Side by Sides (Pioneer vs Mule)

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at side by sides and considering the Honda Pioneer 1000-6 and the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT EPS 6 seater for general use around the property and hunting.

The Honda comes in roughly 4-5k higher out the door. I like the real transmission and have been a huge fan of Honda's reliability I've experienced with my Foreman 500 and several of their motorcycles, but not sure if it translates to the Pioneers or if the Pioneer is worth the additional 5k.

The Kawasaki also has a pretty solid reputation as a reliable work tool, and I like the ability to extend the bed into the second row when I don't have passengers.

Does anybody have experience with either/both they can share?
I’ve got a mule pro fxt 2021 about 300 hours on it. It’s a little under powered for it’s size also with the long wheel base ground clearance is an issue. the only problem I’ve had is the fuel filter Kawasaki uses a small filter in tank I had the same problem with my brute force 4 wheeler the extra seat is nice with the grand kids. The 3 year warranty is nice and it can be extended to 7 years for about a grand I’ve put many times that much into that 750 brute force

Travis907

WKR
I like my pioneer and use it almost daily for farm work and or play. The cab heat was a definite complaint in the summer months, so I added exhaust wrap near the motor to help with that cab heat issue. It’s definitely not the quietest SxS on the market but overall it’s a great machine!

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with what others have said. Mule if work is your main objective, Honda if sporting around is

AZ8

WKR
FWIW, I’ve had my CanAm Defender since 2017, no issues.

Now, back to your options. If considering the Kawasaki, maybe look into the Teryx over the Mule Pro.

Weldor

WKR
I regret selling my 2016 Honda 1000-5, it was a great machine. I've owned a few ,polaris and Can am. The Honda is very comfortable ride, seat angle for me was perfect. I needed a bigger machine to haul my hounds, now have a Defender pro max xt. 6' bed is great for hauling Elk out. My only compliant is the golf cart seat angle and belt drive. Honda shaft drive is hard to beat. JMHO.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Honda motors are hard to beat too. They make one of the most reliable 4-stroke motors out there.

Ebby

WKR
I loved my 2015 Mule Pro with the fold down middle seat. Great working UTV. Loved having the big bed when I needed it. Top speed for me was governed at 46 mph. Wasn't an issue with me. I felt like it had a great ride to it. Never had any issues with it. Sold it to a buddy and he is still using it daily. Not as sporty as some of the others but my main use was work around the farm.

I've currently got a Can-Am HD10XT. I love it so far. Great blend of sport/work. I've only had it about a year and I've not used it hard so I can't say anything really about reliability.

Lee

hunterjmj

WKR
I looked into the pioneer but went with a ranger since I can haul all 4 of us and a dog or 2 and still haul a bunch in the bed. I see a few Pioneers around here but mostly rangers. The grocery store lot has dam near as many sxs as cars.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I looked into the pioneer but went with a ranger since I can haul all 4 of us and a dog or 2 and still haul a bunch in the bed. I see a few Pioneers around here but mostly rangers. The grocery store lot has dam near as many sxs as cars.
I think the new pioneer 6 seater would check those boxes. Between equipment, kids and dogs that’s one of the reasons I’m leaning towards this unit over the smaller 1000-5.

7A3F27B8-562F-4377-9BC9-828201AEFE7A.jpeg

hunterjmj

WKR
I think the new pioneer 6 seater would check those boxes. Between equipment, kids and dogs that’s one of the reasons I’m leaning towards this unit over the smaller 1000-5.

View attachment 558353
Sweet, didn't know they made that. Be prepared to spend lots on windows, roofs, winches, plows, doors, etc. 😆 they are spendy but lots of fun and the kids love riding.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Sweet, didn't know they made that. Be prepared to spend lots on windows, roofs, winches, plows, doors, etc. 😆 they are spendy but lots of fun and the kids love riding.
I think I’ll be happy with a roof, winch, and windshield… for now haha

kkp005

WKR
We’ve had 2 mule pros since 2016. They have been flawless and just keep on trucking along..
Previously had rangers and nothing but problems with them

I had a Mule. Took it trail riding in Colorado for 3 summers and worked around my farm. It is a beast. Not that loud but it is slow. It is a great machine. The reason I sold it is due to the limited leg room in the back seat. I prefer more room for me.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
You'll be happy with it! Get a rear panel (soft works just fine) to keep some of the dust from sucking back in on the folks sitting in the rear seat. If you are a facebook guy, there are a few pages that are a wealth of info.
I’m not on Facebook but I’ll do some looking. Is it still an issue without a windshield? Haven’t picked one up yet