Shrubs, bushes/tree for visual blocking?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Any land or hardscape fellas on here? Looking to plant a fast growing visual screen from distant neighbor. We have whitetails and muleys on property 24/7, is there such thing they won't eat, and will grow and fill in fast? NW MT

Thanks in advance-

Mt Al

WKR
Don't know if they would work in NW MT, but in SW MT caraganas grow pretty quickly and deer don't touch them in our yard. They take zero maintenance and make a nice, thick hedge.

Hybrid poplars grow like crazy without too many shoots. Aspens obviously, but they destroy a yard w/shoot popping up everywhere.

CorbLand

WKR
Don’t know what will work for you but one thing I would caution is getting an evergreen type of hedge. They look great, work well but most will get destroyed with a heavy snowfall year. Then they look like crap.

Kilboars

WKR
I know things are slow growing in MT.

Look at these shade cloths in a dark green color. Set them strategically around to block you neighbors by burying 6x6 post in the ground. Along with plants. The dark green will disappear at night.
I even paint my fences green.

I’ve got a similar issue with two story homes going up all around me.

Hedges make nice neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedars and junipers. Deer won’t eat them
Cologreen Juniper
Wichita Blue Juniper
Moonglow Juniper
Blue Arrow Juniper
I have planted these four varietys around Gallatin County with great success as long as you water them good for the first two years until roots are well established.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My friend has a large windrow of junipers for this purpose in MT.

The deer actually live in them now as bedding and cover area. It’s large though, with tons of trees. Deer don’t seem to mess with them as far as feeding on them.

They are quite established and have been for 3 decades now, so can’t comment on them when younger and trying to grow.