Awtpwt7m.jpg

WgGp4MYm.jpg
UE2F1aZm.jpg

42w0MKpm.jpg
Xaz9Nrcm.jpg
work

buffybr

FNG
Nothing against squirrel hunting, and I have shot a few, and I'm NOT putting anyone down for posting about squirrel hunting. @DangerRanger's post just reminded me of this story.

The early '80s were a big game hunter's dream for me. I had several exceptional years. I had a couple of horses to pack my hunting camps deep in the wilderness and to pack my game animals out, and living less than 100 miles north of Yellowstone NP, I had most of Montana's big game animals less than a half days drive from my house. And I was able to buy or draw one (or more) tags for each of those animals.

So at the end of hunting season I get home from work and that months copy of Outdoor Life was in my mailbox. The cover story that month was by a guy who had "Opening Day Jitters for Squirrel Hunting."

That fall I had shot several limits of Blue Grouse, a few ducks and pheasants, a limit of Sage Grouse while my ex wife and I shot our Pronghorn antelope bucks in eastern Montana, I was on about a 10 year streak of shooting my deer and elk every year, and I had a 50" Shiras moose that year. All DIY hunts on public land.

So how am I susposed to get excited and "Opening Day Jitters" about squirrel hunting? That was the last year that I suscribed to Outdoor Life.

Last edited:

kkp005

WKR
Deer on shot on my family land in 2014. Killed him with a browning abolt 270 with a cheap Simmons scope and 130gr win PowerPoints . Got the gun in 5th grade for Christmas in 99. Killed tons of animals with it. This was before I knew of Rokslide and what a good scope was. lol
Unfortunately this deer burnt up in my house fire

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 25
I have a ton more trophies I could post but here are my bucks from the past couple years and threw my fox squirrel mount in too.

View attachment 682528
308 win 50yds

View attachment 682532
Crossbow 15yds

View attachment 682534
308 win 40yds

View attachment 682535
Bow 9yds

View attachment 682536
20 gauge

View attachment 682538

View attachment 682539
Fox squirrels are special. I have those like you have with the black mask (I call them "Executioners"), and then we have all black with white tipped nose and ears. I only ever shot three (one of each) in my 40 years of hunting this property, but have let 2 friends shoot one who wanted to get them mounted. That's my rule, if you want to mount one fine, otherwise leave them alone. They usually move early afternoon or late morning so provide some good entertainment while waiting for something else to cruise by.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Fox squirrels are special. I have those like you have with the black mask (I call them "Executioners"), and then we have all black with white tipped nose and ears. I only ever shot three (one of each) in my 40 years of hunting this property, but have let 2 friends shoot one who wanted to get them mounted. That's my rule, if you want to mount one fine, otherwise leave them alone. They usually move early afternoon or late morning so provide some good entertainment while waiting for something else to cruise by.
I’ve seen them in so many different fur colors it’s crazy! Thats the only true color phase one over ever gotten, it’s crazy how in states like Ohio it seems like all they have is fox squirrels and 90% of them are just the plain red ones. I guess the crazy colored ones are only in certain areas of the south.

I’ve seen them in so many different fur colors it’s crazy! Thats the only true color phase one over ever gotten, it’s crazy how in states like Ohio it seems like all they have is fox squirrels and 90% of them are just the plain red ones. I guess the crazy colored ones are only in certain areas of the south.
My place is in Georgia on the south side of Atlanta. And the hotspots where I can count on seeing one are within I would say a 10-15 acre pockets on my property. People a few miles away from me have never had them, but then I know somebody 20 miles away in another county that does. I think the key is old growth forests

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
My place is in Georgia on the south side of Atlanta. And the hotspots where I can count on seeing one are within I would say a 10-15 acre pockets on my property. People a few miles away from me have never had them, but then I know somebody 20 miles away in another county that does. I think the key is old growth forests
I agree it’s seems like they like really old pines and pecan orchards.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve honestly been doing fairly well the last few years though I’d attribute it to luck more than anything. All of these were taken on two family properties here in PA.

First really big 8pt opening day of rifle in 2017. 60 yards with a Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06, a college graduation present to myself. Scored around 117.
IMG_3250.jpeg

Then an 8pt and our camps first ever bear at 475 pounds on the opening day of rifle in 2019. 60 yards with a Mausingfield in 6.5 PRC. Bear was 20-7/16”, never scored the buck.
IMG_8723.jpegIMG_8735.jpeg

Then on the opening day of rifle in 2022 I got my first ever 9pt, killed at 150 yards on the run with an Archimedes in 6.5 PRC. Scored around 116.
IMG_4355.jpeg

Then I have the 8pt I got on the opening day of rifle in 2023, at 120 he is my biggest yet. Taken with the same Mausingfield as the bear and buck but rebarreled to 30-06, 35 yard shot.
IMG_8218.jpeg

Finally the only big game animal not taken on the property in PA was a Bison I took with my 1874 Sharps in 45-70 out in Nebraska. Shot once in the lungs and once high lungs/low spine at around 120 yards. It was -9F and easily the coldest hunt I’ve ever been on.
IMG_7301.jpeg

I’ve honestly been doing fairly well the last few years though I’d attribute it to luck more than anything. All of these were taken on two family properties here in PA.

First really big 8pt opening day of rifle in 2017. 60 yards with a Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06, a college graduation present to myself. Scored around 117.
View attachment 683084

Then an 8pt and our camps first ever bear at 475 pounds on the opening day of rifle in 2019. 60 yards with a Mausingfield in 6.5 PRC. Bear was 20-7/16”, never scored the buck.
View attachment 683082View attachment 683083

Then on the opening day of rifle in 2022 I got my first ever 9pt, killed at 150 yards on the run with an Archimedes in 6.5 PRC. Scored around 116.
View attachment 683081

Then I have the 8pt I got on the opening day of rifle in 2023, at 120 he is my biggest yet. Taken with the same Mausingfield as the bear and buck but rebarreled to 30-06, 35 yard shot.
View attachment 683080

Finally the only big game animal not taken on the property in PA was a Bison I took with my 1874 Sharps in 45-70 out in Nebraska. Shot once in the lungs and once high lungs/low spine at around 120 yards. It was -9F and easily the coldest hunt I’ve ever been on.
View attachment 683086
Me and my father in law skinned, caped, and butchered a couple bison back in the day for the outfit we were working for at the time. Not a chore I'd wish on my worst enemy.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my father in law skinned, caped, and butchered a couple bison back in the day for the outfit we were working for at the time. Not a chore I'd wish on my worst enemy.

We mostly just watched the skinning as the guide had a method and it was easier for him if we didn’t help. Odd to just watch as we are used to butchering our own deer. They let them hang for a bit so the butchering was done after we left.

My brother in the picture is 6’ 3” for reference.

IMG_7318.jpeg