Should I Upgrade My Bow

KDF

FNG
I just booked a Dall Sheep hunt, and am looking for some informed opinions on whether I need to upgrade my bow and/or bow set-up. I have been shooting a Bowtech Assassin for over 6 years (on elk and deer), and it is working well for me. The only upgrade that I have made is adding a QAD drop-away rest. I am pulling about 62 pounds at a 27 inch draw length and shooting Carbon Mayhems with G5 Montecs. I shoot consistent 4 inch groups at about 45 yards (I don't really practice at further distances, because I don't have any pins set out further). I am willing to invest the money, and thought about getting a high end bow. My questions are: can I expect much better performance from a high end bow? What am I missing?

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you, long story short I decided save my money. I shoot a z7 and the way I have it set up its a beast.

Felix40

WKR
Nothing wrong with that bow. I think if I were in your shoes I would upgrade the sight or add more pins then tighten the bolts down to 70 pounds and make sure it is tuned really well. I don't think the performance of new bows would be worth spending that much money to me.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I just booked a Dall Sheep hunt, and am looking for some informed opinions on whether I need to upgrade my bow and/or bow set-up. I have been shooting a Bowtech Assassin for over 6 years (on elk and deer), and it is working well for me. The only upgrade that I have made is adding a QAD drop-away rest. I am pulling about 62 pounds at a 27 inch draw length and shooting Carbon Mayhems with G5 Montecs. I shoot consistent 4 inch groups at about 45 yards (I don't really practice at further distances, because I don't have any pins set out further). I am willing to invest the money, and thought about getting a high end bow. My questions are: can I expect much better performance from a high end bow? What am I missing?

In my opinion, yes I would upgrade. If you spent the money on a Dall sheep hunt then you should have a better set up as the Assassin was a budget bow 6-7 years ago. If it hasn't been re-strung then its also do for that which would cost about what the bow is worth at this point. You should always have a back up bow and that bow would be great as a back up.

OR Archer

WKR
In my opinion, yes I would upgrade. If you spent the money on a Dall sheep hunt then you should have a better set up as the Assassin was a budget bow 6-7 years ago. If it hasn't been re-strung then its also do for that which would cost about what the bow is worth at this point. You should always have a back up bow and that bow would be great as a back up.

I agree with this.

I just went from an Alpin Frontier that was 8 years old to a Mathews Halon 6.

I did it because I could and wanted to get a bow for the next 10 years. I shot 15 different bows and ultimately chose the Halon due to balance in the hand, zero shock, and quietness. The weight is not an issue for my uses.

I don't known if bow technology can really take a giant leap forward in the coming years so I decided nowe is as good as ever.

It is head and shoulders above my old bow but in no way will it kill anything better than my previous bow did (yes the argument about higher KE can be made but a well placed shot from either will kill all animals).

That being said it is ultimately up to you. Set your bow to shoot out to 70 or 80 and if you are comfortable with it then be happy.

If you want a new bow get one now so you are comfortable by the time of your hunt.

Bottom line is it will be better for you to take something you are confident with than just the latest model.

Laker

FNG
X3, hunt of a lifetime. Control as many factors as you can and have the best gear you can afford.

I would look hard at upgrading to some kind of a slider / adjustable single or multi pin sight. Practicing at long range has greatly increased my performance within 60 yards. If your keeping em on a paper plate at 80+ yards, when that dall sheep walks past at 45 it's gonna feel impossible to miss. That confidence when shooting is key. Plus it's just fun to go out with friends and shoot long range, it's challenging and we like challenging our selves.

X4
You should have a good backup bow that you shoot well. Here's your chance to upgrade to something you have always wanted. I would suggest a 6-7 pin sight and practice to 70-80 yds as others have mentioned. Get a life size dall sheep target made up and practice shooting at it at different angles. 45-90 degree angle shots will help build confidence if that shot does arise.
I would also recommend a whisker biscuit rest. For the off angle shots you'll never have to worry about your arrow on your rest. The less moving parts the better for a tough mountain hunt. Your bow will be take a lot of abuse so keep that in mind also

Last edited:
I can get sentimental about equipment. There's nothing like taking an old friend you've had at your side for many years on that special hunt. The backup bow argument holds water, so maybe you want to get a new one and have this as a backup.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy a bow, but not to have latest and greatest (which is certainly nice btw) but so you can have a back up. Two bows you know well ideally shooting same arrows is how you'll get the most out of your trip. Sheep country is no joke, you'll have plenty to concern yourself with and you don't want to be screwed because of some random weapon mishap.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Should you upgrade? Only you can answer that one. I owned an Assassin - it is a tack driver and would have no problem taking it on any Hunt.... a new bow is not going to kill anything any deader. Regarding performance....if your bow is in tune with a good set of stings/accessories, a new bow isn't going to shoot much better or be more reliable IMO. If I recall, the assassin ibo 333fps with 7"bh (it is considered a fast bow). The fastest 7" bows are about 345...give or take or about 3%. Not much difference. Maybe the question is not if you need to upgrade but do you want to?

All that being said, bows are very specific you an individual....you may shoot a longer ATA better or more consistent with a different style grip. Draw cycles, how a bow carries and holds on target, vary greatly from bow to bow. Holding weight and back wall can also effect accuracy and consistency. All this is regardless cost, expense, being the latest and greatest, or fastest. For such a cool hunt, personally i would investigate if there is another bow out there i might shoot better. More importantly, I would try to ready myself and the equipment I did have for said hunt.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
If you came home with tag soup and missed one at 40-50 yards, say a tough, but doable shot, would you possibly blame the miss on your current setup? If the answer to that is yes, I would upgrade. Especially for the hunt of a lifetime.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely arguments from both sides but you need a back up bow for this hunt. There are too many variables that can lead to possible equipment failure. Say you bite it and break something, then what? If its a money issue, you can buy 1-2 year old bows on AT for 4-500 and some new ones that are last year models for 600.

If you came home with tag soup and missed one at 40-50 yards, say a tough, but doable shot, would you possibly blame the miss on your current setup? If the answer to that is yes, I would upgrade. Especially for the hunt of a lifetime.

Would you possibly blame the miss on a new setup as you have a bow that you said works well for you? Two sides to that coin.

If you don't plan to shoot or practice out past 45 yards then probably not. However, if I were spending all that $$$ on a bow hunt I would make sure I could shoot to the best of my ability. Last year I did just that. I wanted to start bow hunting, (not sheep mind you) just blacktail in the local wilderness. At first I thought I'd be fine with my old 05' era Mathews Lx, so I had new strings put on and a 5 pin spot hogg that I set up 30-70 yards. I shot that bow every day for months till I thought I was an expert shot out to 60 yards and that was good enough.... Nope I wanted to be better than that. So I bought a newish used bow, new MBG pure 75, qad rest, 10" beestinger then later added a back bar, a wrist sling, couple dozen new arrows, fletching jig, 3d deer, and learned a hell of a lot about shooting a bow in a short period of time. All just so I would have the best odds at filling a tag on a blacktail deer. Now i can shoot out past 100 yards accurately and hit an egg sized target at 60 yards.

Moral of my long stupid story is if you are gona drop that kind of time and money into a hunt you should make sure you are going to be the best you can be. If you are willing to do that then yes a new bow will most likely make you a better shooter for sure, I know it helped me.

Beendare

WKR
Doesn't it seem that it takes a couple months with a new bow just to shoot it as well as you old bow?
Then there is the tuning learning curve....you know all of your old bows "Ins and outs"...... with your old bow you can just look at it and know what is wrong...if there is anything wrong.

Then there are accessories; a whole new bow is a new learning curve...... pricey too.

If you have the expendable $$.....and the time...go for it.

I agree with those in favor of getting a new bow and keeping your old one as a backup if you can afford it. Additionally I would certainly get a sight that you can shoot out twice as far as you would take a shot out hunting. A few years back I set up my bow with a black gold ascent and dialed it in as far as it would possibly go which was 140 yards. I had a ton of fun shooting it all summer out to those ranges. I dialed in my broadheads out to 100 yards. I have never been more confident in my shooting. When I drew back on my bull at 55 yards I felt rock solid and totally confident in my shot. It felt like how I felt shooting a 20 yard shot at an indoor range.

Elc1973

FNG
Here is the other side of the new bow theory. Last year I bought a new bow after shooting the best I ever have with my old bow. When I leave for a hunt or 3D shoot I always grab my old bow it just feels natural and I have so much confidence in it. Nothing wrong with a backup bow but take what is comfortable for you. If your flying in you may only get to take one bow anyway.

Vizsla2

FNG
IMO, there's nothing wrong with your current setup.
If you can afford it, buy a new bow, BUT keep your Assassin set up and don't swap the rest. I always have a minimum of 2 bows, ready to hunt. Due to my own stupidity, I derailed a bow, days before a hunt. Learn from my mistake....

Shoot both and determine which set up your are the most confident. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it will shoot any better. Draw cycle will take a bit of time to get used to. Timing, tuning can get out of whack too. Nice to have a backup AND options before a hunt of a lifetime.