Shotgun / Rifle Suggestions (Whitetail Hunting)

OP
I
After all this, the deed has been done - I have ordered a Savage Axis 350 Legend w/ 3-9x40mm Weaver Scope. I zoned in on the 350 Legend after discussions here and with a few of my buddies. And I decided to go with the combo scope after those talks as well, because they said that should work for the type of hunting we will be doing with the rifle.

Just wanted to say thank you all so much for your help on this. It was very much appreciated, and I learned a ton!

Now we wait for the rifle to arrive and start to figure out which ammo will work best!

Just got through my first season with this, and so glad I made the choice. Got myself an awesome buck and two doe. Dropped the two does almost right away. Buck walked off a bit (actually died in the river), but I was able to track the blood and find where it went before retrieving it.

With the Illinois laws, I can't have more than one round in the chamber, so I just kept the mag behind and loaded the chamber before each shot. This worked easily for me, was able to get off plenty of shots in a good amount of time.