Shooting Full Bore Muzzleloading bullets

Been wanting to try this out this year in my .50. The whole Full bore bullets for a muzzleloader is new to me as I've always used Sabots. What bullets are Good? Any tips or tricks or any other info you guys could share would be greatly appreciated!! I'd be interested in .45 caliber options as well.

I use Hornady Great Plains 385 grainers. I never could get Powerbelts to shoot for beans in my guns. We are pretty limited on projectiles in the muzzleloader hunts in Idaho.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I used Thor bullets last year out of my TC encore and had great accuracy to 150 yards. I know people dog on them but out to 200 I had great luck with power belt aerotip.

There are many more options in 45cal. I’ve shot Pittman, Parker, and will be trying Fury soon. There are many other .45 pistol and rifle bullets that can be sized as well. If you want to kick the sabot, 45 is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wesleylee1984
There are many more options in 45cal. I’ve shot Pittman, Parker, and will be trying Fury soon. There are many other .45 pistol and rifle bullets that can be sized as well. If you want to kick the sabot, 45 is the way to go

Thanks for the info I've been looking into a .45 what twist rate should I be looking for?

OP
wesleylee1984
I used Thor bullets last year out of my TC encore and had great accuracy to 150 yards. I know people dog on them but out to 200 I had great luck with power belt aerotip.
I just purchased the thore bore measuring bullets to get what size I need then I'm going to order some. Did you see any difference in not using a sabot?

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot a few 45 cal smokeless full bore. All Brux barrels. Started with Fury ST2 and a sizing die. They shot tremendously. I ended up shifting to ASG NSR. They shoot just as well and don’t have to size.

Thanks for the info I've been looking into a .45 what twist rate should I be looking for?

Most are probably 1:18 or 1:20. The best thing to do is pick a gun builder and pick their brain. Tell them what you want out of a gun and they can give you suggestions. I have a conversation from Jeff Hankins and he was great to deal with.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Hankins. He’ll square you away. Have had him do 5 barreled actions now.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in Colorado so all our hunting is full bore. That being said I don’t have much experience with sabots.

frbg2019

FNG
I use Federal bore-locks (or however they are advertised). I’ve had great accuracy and many report good terminal performance.

That being said, When I’ve used up the Federals, I may switch over to Thor.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Being a CO muzzleloader hunter I have only ever shot full bore through my muzzleloaders. I have tried about every option out there over the years. the Powerbelts can give you great accuracy but I have seen several great animals wounded and never recovered.

My best performing bullet for both accuracy and wound trauma is the Thor bullets.

OP
wesleylee1984
I have a knight Moutaineer in .50 cal and I've been looking at the CVA accura Mr x for 650 but I feel I can get it for 600 brand new in 45. Would that be a good intro gun into 45 cal. I've only had good luck out of my cva optima I 50 cal. Or I could get a mountaineer in .45 and see how it goes. I seen Hankins rifles the are about 2hrs away from me but idk if the funds would allow me to purchase one of those masterpieces. So what I gather since outwear sabots are not allowed any MZL can shoot full bore as long as projectile fits and seats properly?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are those full bore bullets or do they have a sabot around them?
They're full bore, that's all we can use for hunting in CO. I tried Thors with several different powder loads and never could get the accuracy I expect to get. I really wanted them to work. Same for my No Excuses, accuracy is always just so-so. Shot the Fury's a few weeks ago and they were ok, but still not what I'd like. Then shot these ELD-X's and had three holes overlapping in a cloverleaf at 60 yards.