Shooting deer from a boat in New Mexico?

Does anyone know the rules around shooting deer from a watercraft in New Mexico? I’ve scoured the regs and can find anything that prohibits it. Only thing I found was regarding waterfowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I could hit anything if I shot from a boat!

Perhaps a boat falls under the same rules as firing from inside a vehicle?

I’ve heard of people shooting deer from a jet boat here in Idaho. Don’t know 100% if it’s legal but I haven’t read any regs saying it’s illegal. I would call your local fish and game office.

Yup that's a phone call I would definitely make. New Mexico may have laws prohibiting firearms from being discharged across waterways like Colorado does. I can respect the idea from an advantage standpoint, but even if the water was as calm as glass and the boat was stopped I would have reservations about shooting from any moving platform.

Jardo

WKR
I grew up in NM and hunted a lot from a boat. My uncles would kill most of their deer on the far side of the reservoir from the boat. This was in the 80’s and 90’s so if there are rules against it, they are relatively new.

It wasn’t illegal when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mathews

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s on Navajo lake the entire lake is state park so if you’re in water you cannot shoot from a boat

OP
sundevils79
If it’s on Navajo lake the entire lake is state park so if you’re in water you cannot shoot from a boat

Where is this rule written? I’ve scoured the nm Hunt regs and state park website.

Mathews

Lil-Rokslider
Another guide I know talked to a warden today who told him the deer and the shooter must be at least 100 yards from the water.. I call bs

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
As far as I understand it, you follow the same guide lines as shooting ducks from a boat. Or at least in AZ, that's how it works.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
If its legal, I don't see why hunting from a unpowered boat would be unethical. I've heard of people drift hunting from canoes for moose and such. I know several guys that use boats to get them to isolated locations. Personally its seems about the same as stand hunting. The deer aren't looking for danger in the tree or from the water. But a boat even blinded would stand out a alot. But I guess it comes down to what ever floats your boat.