Shooting copper bullets at steel targets -how dangerous?

Hunthigh1

WKR
Steel target companies say to use lead core Bullets only. I hunt with copper bullets and want to use AR500 steel as a training tool at 300 -500yds. I’m Shooting 130grain 270 win and 180 grain 30-06. Is there any risk of a deflection at these ranges with a gravity hung plate? Are lead core bullets recommended just because copper is hard on the steel target or is it a legitimate safety concern? Anyone have actual experience with monolithic hunting bullets on steel targets?

Plenty of shooting ranges have steel targets with guys shooting copper-monolithic bullets. I have yet to hear of an issue. Additionally, I have yet to see a sign at a range prohibiting copper bullets.

Now if you steel targets are to thin or soft, copper bullets might put holes in them.

Wrench

WKR
Yes they're going to ricochet. Plan your angles to not send the ricochet in a bad direction. If you are worried, use a 4" long carriage bolt to shift the target center of gravity when hung. This will send the bullet into the ground.

A 300rum with a 180 barnes will blow through a 5/8" a-36 plate at 600 yards. Ar500 will just be splashed.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Yes they're going to ricochet. Plan your angles to not send the ricochet in a bad direction. If you are worried, use a 4" long carriage bolt to shift the target center of gravity when hung. This will send the bullet into the ground.

A 300rum with a 180 barnes will blow through a 5/8" a-36 plate at 600 yards. Ar500 will just be splashed.
So you think it’s safer to bolt it in a fixed manner at a downward angle rather than let it swing freely on a hanger?

def90

WKR
If the targets are further than 100's yds and flapping in the wind the danger is minimal. I think the carriage bolt thing works with a strap as well, the bolt is attached to the plate and the other end of the bolt is attached to whatever you are using for your hanger. This shifts the center of balance off and makes the plate hang at an angle. Just an added safety measure that probably isn't reauired at those distances if you have a free swinging plate.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Ohhh. Had to read That 2x to understand. That’s the point of the longer 4” bolt. To attach at the far end to create that center of gravity shift so it hangs at a slight angle. I see now. Thanks!

BCsteve

WKR
Copper bullets like Barnes are fine and won’t ricochet anymore than cup and core. Reference to lead core is in comparison to steel core military surplus which will ding your steel target a lot more.

ljalberta

WKR
Copper bullets like Barnes are fine and won’t ricochet anymore than cup and core. Reference to lead core is in comparison to steel core military surplus which will ding your steel target a lot more.
This has been my experience as well. As a caveat. I have only shot a few hundred copper bullets at metal targets, most of which are suspended with a downward cant. Distances were 200-800 yards. I haven’t encountered any ricochets yet.

Azone

WKR
7ADCEF85-6391-4FA1-A25B-700740727C74.jpeg
There are two 100 grain ttsx impacts on this plate. One is at 12 o’clock and the other is about 5 o’clock if you look closely. These were going roughly 3550 at the muzzle, impact distance was 200 yards. The rest of the impacts are Tula 150 fmj from a 308 at the same distance. I believe the target was a drop off a 1” 1045 plate if memory serves me correctly.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of variables here…

First, the type of steel matters and good steel is expensive. Ideally, it needs to be angled to deflect all rounds down into the dirt in order to prevent ricocheting and backsplash from frag. Steel needs some give in its mount. If it’s rigid, it will fail sooner. If the surface is cratered, be far away as it is dangerous.

Swingers are best mounted with fire hose. Chest plates work best sitting in a cradle that allows them to move when hit. Plates that bolt to a frame are ok but the bolts generally get shot up. Chains get shot up.

Copper projectiles are fine. Velocity is more of an issue…anything over 3k is really hard on steel.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Thanks all. Found a good price on 2 10” AR500 plates from XSteel. Going to enjoy those w/ copper bullets at 300yds and beyond

JFK

WKR
I’ve shot a lot of steel with mono bullets from a 270….so moving pretty quick. No issues, ever. 200yds to 600yds. Never more than a little splash mark on the steel that goes away when repainted.

300 wm 180gr Barnes copper at 500. Seems to come apart pretty good to me.

Attachments

• 1EE27BBA-F5EB-4303-9D6A-8305B733A88A.jpeg
    1EE27BBA-F5EB-4303-9D6A-8305B733A88A.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 48

wanna harden up that A36 plate?? Bust out your buzz box welder and a new box of welding rod. Start running wide welding beads all the way acroos the plate and then layer them 1x more. that plate will get hot but when it cools, it'll be hard AF

JoeDirt

WKR
wanna harden up that A36 plate?? Bust out your buzz box welder and a new box of welding rod. Start running wide welding beads all the way acroos the plate and then layer them 1x more. that plate will get hot but when it cools, it'll be hard AF
I wonder how hardface rod would work? I have a plate that needs repaired.....