Shooting 600 yards, have i got this right?

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks to you guys I learned how bad cant affects even 4 and 500 yard shots. So, I just wanted to verify one thing.
-you mount a new scope pretty close to level/square to the action, and that's ok, because you level the scope, and you level the bubble level to your scope via a hanging string/plumb bob, or level line on a wall (also used to level the scope). That's the easy way right?

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Håkan Spuhr of Spuhr ISMS scope mounts created this template. It both explains and quantifies. I'll add that 3° is a huge cant. if you can't keep it below 1° you should visit your physician as it is a symptom that should be examined/investigated.

spuhr scope cant.jpg

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
Thank you for the clarity. I think I'll be fine with only nearly perfect rifle/scope alignment.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thank you for the clarity. I think I'll be fine with only nearly perfect rifle/scope alignment.
Scope to rifle alignment isn’t a big deal.

Your scopes reticle and turret needs to aligned wirh gravity, your plumb bob. Part of the reason I like tube mounted or adjustable levels, I can set it when the rifle is comfortable and the reticle is level.

Can’t becomes a much bigger deal if your holding wind

I look to try to look at my level on each shot as part of my process. Maybe my internal level is messed up but there’s plenty of times I require some adjustment