Shoot2Hunt University

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
I brought a SRS-A2. This platform is designed around .338 Lapua but I put a 223 conversion kit in it and I took off a 5-25x56 MOAR ATACR and put a SWFA 3-15x on it because I knew we would be shooting a lot and Form was a mil guy and I wanted to get the true essence of the class. The 3-15 was the lowest cost of entry for a drop proof mil scope to have in hand before class.

I switched to a Tikka with Rokstok during class and ended up ordering a Tikka with a Rokstok to commemorate the class and train with at home. It will wear that 3x15 SWFA or the Maven RS1.2 mil I just picked up thanks to a heads up from @Bluumoon when it's ready...until the 6x SWFA's materialize again.

I sold my MOAR 5-25x56 ATACR from my desert tech and replaced it with a 4-16x42 MIL-C ATACR. I put my Desert Tech back in its factory configuration with bigger bullets and look forward to the trainer showing up.
Awesome I appreciate the response, I’m going to bring my main rifle as well. I’m sure my opinion on it will change during or after the class

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Still costing me ammo. Sitting unsupported untimed practice today.

It's quiet around here with the family off to the much anticipated release of Minions 4.

Bluumoon and I were DM'ing about who might start the next shooting challenge after Cold Bore.

Perhaps he did?

This is 109 yards sitting unsupported First Nations style w/ right foot over left:

IMG_5969.jpg

And 50 yards:

IMG_5968.jpg

Gear:

Ruger No.1 A w/ crappy dovetail and front bead removed. NECG blade front and Skinner Sight rear installed.

IMG_5966.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor with 12gr Unique powder and 129gr Hornady Interlocks. I haven't chrono'd these. I just powder dropped them to get rid of the box. I'm guessing they are flying out around 1400fps.
IMG_5967.jpg

Happy Independence Day Everyone!

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR
It's quiet around here with the family off to the much anticipated release of Minions 4.

Bluumoon and I were DM'ing about who might start the next shooting challenge after Cold Bore.

Perhaps he did?

This is 109 yards sitting unsupported First Nations style w/ right foot over left:

View attachment 732278

And 50 yards:

View attachment 732277

Gear:

Ruger No.1 A w/ crappy dovetail and front bead removed. NECG blade front and Skinner Sight rear installed.

View attachment 732275

6.5 Creedmoor with 12gr Unique powder and 129gr Hornady Interlocks. I haven't chrono'd these. I just powder dropped them to get rid of the box. I'm guessing they are flying out around 1400fps.
View attachment 732276

Sweet man, can you imagine what a Revolutionary War soldier would have thought of that rifle and load?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider

Perhaps he did?

View attachment 732278

And 50 yards:

View attachment 732277

Gear:

View attachment 732275

View attachment 732276

So... does the right over left or left over right foot have any practical differences? Or is it a right handed vs. Left handed thing?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Perhaps he did?

View attachment 732278

And 50 yards:

View attachment 732277

Gear:

View attachment 732275

View attachment 732276

Sweet!!!

Nice shooting.

So would the challenge be seated un-supported group at 100 yards?

Would make for longer videos, but to make it “real” I’d say you could…

.Start at the target while videoing a blank target
.Keep recording and walk back 100 yards
.Set the camera on a table or something to view shooting spot
.Shoot 10 rounds at the target
.Grab the camera and walk back to the target

Do it all in one video. Somebody should make a new thread on this to bounce around ideas.

ChrisAU

WKR
I just would like to say that the movie Click is the only movie in my life that made me cry. Not because a guy wasted his children’s life away, but because he wasted away peak Kate Beckinsale. Honest to God truth. Tears at 20 years old sitting in my apartment in college.

TBH there is probably a couple dozen or more women who were hotter at their peak than Jessica Biel. Hundreds of dozens more probably.

arrested-development-dozens-of-us.gif

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I just would like to say that the movie Click is the only movie in my life that made me cry. Not because a guy wasted his children’s life away, but because he wasted away peak Kate Beckinsale. Honest to God truth. Tears at 20 years old sitting in my apartment in college.

TBH there is probably a couple dozen or more women who were hotter at their peak than Jessica Biel. Hundreds of dozens more probably.

arrested-development-dozens-of-us.gif
Kate Beckinsale in the first Underworld movie, when I graduated high school, is still undefeated.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ll do this tomorrow for posterity only. Setting up two cameras is way more work than I’m interested in.

I’ll likely do one with crossed trekking poles or over a pack yoke as well.
Nah just use your phone and do it all in one take was the idea. Maybe not feasible I don’t know.

Sounds fun! Enjoy the day getting out and shooting.

SloppyJ

WKR
I was the only flyer in my group.

I put 60 rounds of TMK's in my check in bag and brought my rifle in a Pelican case.

I bought ammo from Jake. This was offered ahead of time. It was great ammo at a great price. I think if you had a pet load you just have to have you might be on the verge of being impractically persnickety but it seems like you could mail it to the venue but then its someone elses problem until you get there.

It wouldn't be a bad plan to rent a rifle and buy ammo from Jake. That would have been a perfect plan for me in hindsight.

I didn't touch my rental car from the time I got to the facility until the moment I left so I should have at least looked at Uber/Lyft costs.
I hear ya. Not trying to be uppity at all or bring some fancy pet load. Just some hormady 75gr HPBTs. I had half of the components anyway and when I can save $400 just by loading some ammo, I'll always do that. I'm a tight ass when I can be! Allows me to buy more things I want. I'll weigh it in my decision to drive or fly. Thanks for the info man.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
So... does the right over left or left over right foot have any practical differences? Or is it a right handed vs. Left handed thing?
The Shoot2Hunt students received instruction sitting unsupported in a few different configurations both open legged and cross legged.

The groups that result in each configuration will show you which position works best for your body.

For me, the less comfortable cross legged configuration produces the best groups.

Last edited:
Quick question for you who were on the course with variable scopes
Did you change power much to suit the situation and targets
And obviously what sort of magnification were you mostly using?

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I only remember changing the power once. I shot the course with 2 scopes at 6x and then borrowed a rifle for the hunt which I think was taped off with black tape at 8 or 9 and I remember cranking it back wider "thru the tape" when I was prepping for my shot at 411 yards.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I moved a mine around a bit. Mostly stayed between 6-10 quite a few of the targets have follow-up targets that you have to find and spotting impacts is critical. The course is set up well to demonstrate the real world consequences of too much magnification.

Thanks Nine and Dioni sort of what I figured
Any other takeaways on gear, were you happy with what you took, any changes you will make