Shoot2Hunt University

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
2nd S@H class review

The canyons and hills made for a great place to practice and learn. Watch where you sit, there’s more than enough cactus to go around. Expect to have to walk a bit with your pack, ammo and rifle.

Accommodations: It aint no 5 star hotel, but it sure wasn’t tent camping either. Good enough.

Food: Excellent home cooked meals. If you have a sweet tooth for desert you will be in heaven.

Instructors: Excellent at the task and extremely knowledgeable. You will get the chastising you need to help you break your bad habits. And you will also see them genuinely happy as your skills increase. Overall some pretty cool dudes to be around.

Equipment: Do yourself a favor and show up with a mil scope or you will constantly hear “Jesus loves units of 10”, or something to that effect. As previously mentioned a range-finding bino is helpful, but a normal rangefinder is just fine. Bring a minimum of 700 rounds, 1000 preferred.

Classmates: You’re going to get what you get, though I’d expect your chances of getting some wankers are fairly low. For our class we had an excellent group of men to hang out with for a week. Everyone was there to learn and we had a lot of fun doing it. Team 1-6, you guys were great to shoot and learn with.

Things I learned:

• You will likely get assigned a nickname. If you’re lucky it will be one you like. If not you can join @mtnwrunner(Trandy) with one that is less than desirable.
  • BC’s matter and a 6 creed is impressive.
  • @Tanya Avery thinks that if judging both at their peak of hotness, Jessica Biel is hotter than Kate Bekinsale. Respectfully disagree.
  • A Bergara is a loathsome piece of trash that will bring you ridicule. It also was an absolute hammer out to the distances we were shooting.
  • You go for the training, but stay for the truck ride off the mountain at the end of the day. Hat tip to Jeff for sparking the entertainment.
  • You can likely bribe Dan the Gypsy with red vines.
  • Driving 1 truck up the mountain twice is not equal to driving 2 trucks up the mountain once.
  • I thought @Formidilosus would be taller.
  • If you throw the gayest stock imaginable on a 6.5creed CTR - I believe it was the bear camp stock - you get a shooter that can't quit smiling at his hit rate.

Outcome: The entire class was measurably more deadly by Friday. Increases in both hit rate and speed were readily apparent. In a nut shell, you will get what you paid for.

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Couple of things........
1. You can't fight nicknames. Fuzzy wuzzy will get his due.
2. Everyone improved immensely. It was fun to watch. Couple of all day grins.
3. Tanya has a hall pass on someone.
4. Kate Beckinsale is.........🔥
5. My gut still hurts from the truck ride......you just can't explain it.
6. Yes, that bear camp rifle is a thing of beauty. NOT.
7. It was a hoot.

Randy

Scottyboy

WKR
Having been MOA my entire life, if I show up with a MIL scope…how much of a hindrance would I be? I listened to the podcast where the MOA folks had switched to MIL during the class. I guess what I’m asking; is it reasonable to get schooled in MIL during the instruction or is it best to show up with a general working knowledge? Dumb question, i know… sorry

IDVortex

WKR
Having been MOA my entire life, if I show up with a MIL scope…how much of a hindrance would I be? I listened to the podcast where the MOA folks had switched to MIL during the class. I guess what I’m asking; is it reasonable to get schooled in MIL during the instruction or is it best to show up with a general working knowledge? Dumb question, i know… sorry
Not dumb, ive wondered the same since I'm hoping I can maybe schedule to do a class next year but everything I own is MOA.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The trigger housings came loose in these instances. However, the lighter springs cause issues in snow and ice- light strikes usually, but even some firing on bolt close and drops. As well, ND’s when wearing gloves or cold fingers, stress, etc. go WAY up with 2lb and lighter triggers. I am not a fudd that thinks you should never have a lighter trigger than a factory Glock- I was using 1oz Jewels in field rifles 20 years ago.

The springs especially, and sub 2.5’ish pound triggers for field rifles are a poor idea from every angle.
Also with multiple aftermarket tolerance specs (aftermarket stock, aftermarket bottom metal, etc), I’ve had the rifle fire when closing the bolt with aftermarket springs. I used to preach using them, now none of my Tikkas use them and I don’t reccomending them to anyone.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

You do not need to know anything when you show up. If you have never shot a rifle before, as long as you are dedicated to learn- it’s no problem.

Not dumb, ive wondered the same since I'm hoping I can maybe schedule to do a class next year but everything I own is MOA.

You can bring an MOA scope. You will be taught the most optimum way to use MOA- we shoot and use MOA at time. Dan and Chris both shot MOA scopes right beside the students, and shot them as well as anyone.

However, and this is a big however- you will hate it very quickly. Every single thing about MOA is worse for on demand field shooting.

jpirwin24

FNG
2nd S@H class review

The canyons and hills made for a great place to practice and learn. Watch where you sit, there’s more than enough cactus to go around. Expect to have to walk a bit with your pack, ammo and rifle.

Accommodations: It aint no 5 star hotel, but it sure wasn’t tent camping either. Good enough.

Food: Excellent home cooked meals. If you have a sweet tooth for desert you will be in heaven.

Instructors: Excellent at the task and extremely knowledgeable. You will get the chastising you need to help you break your bad habits. And you will also see them genuinely happy as your skills increase. Overall some pretty cool dudes to be around.

Equipment: Do yourself a favor and show up with a mil scope or you will constantly hear “Jesus loves units of 10”, or something to that effect. As previously mentioned a range-finding bino is helpful, but a normal rangefinder is just fine. Bring a minimum of 700 rounds, 1000 preferred.

Classmates: You’re going to get what you get, though I’d expect your chances of getting some wankers are fairly low. For our class we had an excellent group of men to hang out with for a week. Everyone was there to learn and we had a lot of fun doing it. Team 1-6, you guys were great to shoot and learn with.

Things I learned:

• You will likely get assigned a nickname. If you’re lucky it will be one you like. If not you can join @mtnwrunner(Trandy) with one that is less than desirable.
  • BC’s matter and a 6 creed is impressive.
  • @Tanya Avery thinks that if judging both at their peak of hotness, Jessica Biel is hotter than Kate Bekinsale. Respectfully disagree.
  • A Bergara is a loathsome piece of trash that will bring you ridicule. It also was an absolute hammer out to the distances we were shooting.
  • You go for the training, but stay for the truck ride off the mountain at the end of the day. Hat tip to Jeff for sparking the entertainment.
  • You can likely bribe Dan the Gypsy with red vines.
  • Driving 1 truck up the mountain twice is not equal to driving 2 trucks up the mountain once.
  • I thought @Formidilosus would be taller.
  • If you throw the gayest stock imaginable on a 6.5creed CTR - I believe it was the bear camp stock - you get a shooter that can't quit smiling at his hit rate.

Outcome: The entire class was measurably more deadly by Friday. Increases in both hit rate and speed were readily apparent. In a nut shell, you will get what you paid for.
That stock may have been gay looking but it sure helped.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Not even respectfully- she’s just wrong.

Probably for the first and last in our life, you get to talk smack about how a Bergara ran better than some Tikkas…

IDVortex

WKR
You do not need to know anything when you show up. If you have never shot a rifle before, as long as you are dedicated to learn- it’s no problem.

You can bring an MOA scope. You will be taught the most optimum way to use MOA- we shoot and use MOA at time. Dan and Chris both shot MOA scopes right beside the students, and shot them as well as anyone.

However, and this is a big however- you will hate it very quickly. Every single thing about MOA is worse for on demand field shooting.
Thanks for the info, I can see why one would hate not having a MIL, especially for either fixing wind calls or yardage on the fly.

Not even respectfully- she’s just wrong.

Probably for the first and last in our life, you get to talk smack about how a Bergara ran better than some Tikkas…
I agree with the Jessica Biel statement, but I don’t know about the Tikka one. Both of my Tikkas were the pinnacle of reliability in my hands. That being said, I have been known to **** up a football bat a time or two in my life.

I shot MOA for about 25 years, knew it intimately, shot competitions and hunted with MOA, and liked it. I didnt need no stinkn MIL. Until I tried using a MIL scope. And I liked it. A lot. And now I have virtually no MOA scopes left.

It took me very little time to adapt. Going from 1/8" or 1/4" clicks to 10th clicks was simple. I think in the environment of the S2HU, you would probably make the transition even more quickly than I did.