Shoot or pass

So this is my first year bow hunting and in the unit I hunt it’s any whitetail. So my question is if a does comes through my stand should I pass or shoot ? I’ve only seen does and 1 spike. I know ultimately it’s up to me but I wanted to hear other people’s thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedes

FNG
So this is my first year bow hunting and in the unit I hunt it’s any whitetail. So my question is if a does comes through my stand should I pass or shoot ? I’ve only seen does and 1 spike. I know ultimately it’s up to me but I wanted to hear other people’s thoughts

First time bow hunting I would shoot a doe just to go through the process. That’s what old timers advice to me was when I picked up a bow.

OP
D
No I only have 1 tag I can apply for a second but it’s a special draw and it’s not guaranteed.
5b37899b1867791401daf4093fa26f2f.jpg

Here’s a pic of that spike tho

OP
D
First time bow hunting I would shoot a doe just to go through the process. That’s what old timers advice to me was when I picked up a bow.

Yeah that’s why I was having this thought I’ve shot deer during modern just never during archery

SloppyJ

WKR
Are you out there to get outside and put meat in the freezer or are you out there for a rack you can pay $1k to mount and send pics to all of your buddies. That's really what it boils down to.

If I don't have a good line on an early buck, I'm dropping does until the rut. I focus on picking off those old smart ones that like to blow at me. Paybacks a bitch. Once the rut kicks off, I get picky and spend more time in the woods because patterns go out the window. I'll typically get a decent buck around late October through Thanksgiving.

After that, it's a slaughterhouse if I need any more meat then I'm done.

However, I have 6+ tags so it's a bit different.

I wouldnt miss out on training for stalks and learning deer just to put one down the first week of season... As it progresses I wouldn't mind shooting anything

waspocrew

WKR
With only one tag, I'd probably wait it out a little bit assuming you have a long season. If it's been several stands and still only seeing does, send it and enjoy it!

Then get a little more selective next year.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah… with one tag, I’d wait… if you had multiple tags, I’d say put a doe down to get the experience under your belt… first archery deer is a milestone

180ls1

WKR
The more experience you can get the better. That goes for killing AND time in field. Do your best to maximize both.

MT_Fin

WKR
Can you hunt during the rut? If so, I would wait and not miss out on that. But if not, or if deer density is low and filling a tag is a priority, take what’s offered.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
How much time/how many opportunities will you have to get out and hunt? The less days, the sooner I shoot. For years I had very few days to hunt rifle season in PA. I usually had 1.5 days for buck (1990-2005) and maybe the same for doe, which was three days after the two-week buck season. I shot the first legal buck I saw, IF I saw one. For doe, same, first I had the chance at. Multiple years I was able to harvest two in that day+, sometimes two in the same day. This was private land.

The last few years I am lucky to have a small property that allows me to hunt 400+ hours a year from archery to late flintlock. I am much more patient now because I can 'afford' to be with my time. I enjoy watching the deer and learn something every time out.

I choose to not shoot doe early because I want the chance at a bigger buck and the best way to ensure opportunity is to keep your local doe alive through the rut. Usually I am not shooting doe until the second week of rifle season, if I have not taken a buck up to then. I would rather try for a doe in flintlock season after Christmas. Personal preference although much harder to do. If I am invited to hunt elsewhere or decide to try some state game lands or parks, i will take the first legal deer seen.

The opportunity to be out is special and only you can decide what you shoot and when. Recognize that power you have as well to take a life. Sometimes letting that deer walk away is more rewarding. If you are pressed for days and hours, then make the most of it and take the best shot you can.

Depends on your goals. If you want to kill it and its legal , kill it. If you have a big buck as your goal and you have one tag you cant use your tag on a doe or smaller buck. I don't have a tag issue and hunt in a state that has long seasons and very high limits. So I shoot does in the start of the season to fill my freezer and several months later I target bucks during the rut.

OP
D
How much time/how many opportunities will you have to get out and hunt? The less days, the sooner I shoot. For years I had very few days to hunt rifle season in PA. I usually had 1.5 days for buck (1990-2005) and maybe the same for doe, which was three days after the two-week buck season. I shot the first legal buck I saw, IF I saw one. For doe, same, first I had the chance at. Multiple years I was able to harvest two in that day+, sometimes two in the same day. This was private land.

The last few years I am lucky to have a small property that allows me to hunt 400+ hours a year from archery to late flintlock. I am much more patient now because I can 'afford' to be with my time. I enjoy watching the deer and learn something every time out.

I choose to not shoot doe early because I want the chance at a bigger buck and the best way to ensure opportunity is to keep your local doe alive through the rut. Usually I am not shooting doe until the second week of rifle season, if I have not taken a buck up to then. I would rather try for a doe in flintlock season after Christmas. Personal preference although much harder to do. If I am invited to hunt elsewhere or decide to try some state game lands or parks, i will take the first legal deer seen.

The opportunity to be out is special and only you can decide what you shoot and when. Recognize that power you have as well to take a life. Sometimes letting that deer walk away is more rewarding. If you are pressed for days and hours, then make the most of it and take the best shot you can.

Thank you so much for your reply. Out of all the comments this is probably the best one.