Shoot or pass??

406unltd

WKR
Hopefully nobody takes this as I'm trying to having something insta worthy or anything like that. I've just always been interested by big bucks and this year I am finally allowing myself the time to possible see one rather than shooting the first buck that's put in front of me. Just a bit of a paradigm switch so I was curious what others would do. I passed on a nice three year old (i think) buck this last weekend as well. Haven't seen any more old bucks but I've been fighting the weather. I have 3 days this coming weekend and then 3 days the last weekend still to go.
I definitely wasn’t judging. It was more of a chance to get something off my chest about myself regarding this type of situation. You might be able to put down the nice ones on a regular basis. I was just being honest with myself that it’s not working out for me. Apparently I have a ways to go yet 😂

2ski

WKR
I'm not a fan of shooting skylined animals either. However, in this photo there is a backstop instead of open sky. Personally, have no problem shooting in this situation, if I were to decide to put a tag on the buck to the right. I respect others with a differing opinion.
I see what you're saying, although I would say that backstop is probably a mile away so do you really know the "beyond" of know your target and beyond. But I do get what you're saying. Its kind of judgment call.

Popcan

FNG
I passed on these bucks the other day but I'm curious what others would do? The back left is a 3x3 and the front two are 4x4's. I saw them at 80 yards just out of the timber with about 20 minutes of light left. Sorry the picture isn't better.
c73c7879852b15baab21592a53e5db6c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I ain't too proud to beg.

For me, there's a loss in perspective here when they're only 60-80 yards away, which happens with 2D, plus it shows how difficult it really is to photograph wildlife and get an accurate representation of the critters. I see some serious "ground shrinkage" for what I would be wanting at the beginning of a long hunting season. Hard Pass for me.

Last year on a late WA tag I ended up having hunted 18/20 day season, and I ate my tag. Every morning I told myself, this could be the day and if I shoot a "bail-out buck" then I'm done. My theory was why "go cheap", as I'd waited 23 years for the tag; and yes I probably had too high of expectations, but there were several contributing factors (very warm November/no snow, deer #'s WAY down in GMU, predators up). I've shot a decent amount of deer, now I'm wanting a real good buck, especially if I have a week plus of season. Something I heard a long time ago....THE buck will make YOUR mind up for YOU..

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
when looking for big know you will eat tags and question some passes early on, no worries it does get easier and you won’t question yourself 😂....I’m passing......but the hunt is for you alone to decide what makes You happy......that is the beauty of hunting the decisions we make alone and the places we see so few know about.....good luck 👊