Shoot or pass??

IdahoGoat

FNG
I passed on these bucks the other day but I'm curious what others would do? The back left is a 3x3 and the front two are 4x4's. I saw them at 80 yards just out of the timber with about 20 minutes of light left. Sorry the picture isn't better.
c73c7879852b15baab21592a53e5db6c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Front right looks decent.. not huge... front left looks short..and the 3x3 in back has pretty good genetics..he'll be nice in a few years. But its all personal preference.. I know people who would have a heart attack just given the opertunity to shoot something that big....and I know people who pass them up without really thinking about it..

EastMT

WKR
If you are happy with it, it’s a trophy. Don’t let the monster paid for deer on magazines influence you. If you are happy with tag soup or a monster, then you did right. If you just want to have a good time, take an decent animal home, any one of those is fine. I shot a weak one in Montana with little crab claws up front, the only reason was because I was up in some cliffs, looking down a little canyon and was just thrilled with the location/view/experience and wanted to remember that exact spot. All about the experience for me not the inches. Nothing wrong chasing inches, but hey all my horns will end up in a garage sale after I’m gone someday, so I say just have a good time!

elkguide

WKR
I have shot some decent mule deer over the years but my favorite is a 22" wide 4X4. The group of guys that I was hunting with, the area and situation and the shot all put together make it my all time favorite mule deer hunt. What will one of those deer do for your memory bank?

OP
I

IdahoGoat

FNG
Thanks guys. I know in the end it's really up to me. I'm just entering the world of chasing big bucks and so it's hard for me to pass on stuff without second guessing. I've never really hunted more than a day or two for deer before filling my tag but I've always been intrigued by the stories big bucks generate and the idea of chasing the grey ghost. I guess I just need to get used to the fact that sometimes I will pass on bucks that may be the biggest I see that year but in the end it keeps me in the field longer and gives me more opportunity to see more animals. In the end what I want is to just see what's out there. It's my curiosity and pursuit of the unknown that drives me. I'm so used to just filling my tag each year that changing my mindset will take time. All I know is I am happiest when I still have a goal to chase, and when that goal is gone and my tag is filled all I want is more.

I agree with huntinwild that the back 3x3 has potential.. maybe I'll get to see him again in a couple years. I was tempted on the older buck on the right but watching them at 60 to 80 yards it just didn't seem like I was meant to kill one, more just an oppurtunity to enjoy being that close to a group like that. Plus i've got still got 9 days scheduled to hunt throughout the month.

I'd take the back left 3x3 if given the choice. The larger frame is what I'd be in for. They are all "mature" enough.

BluMtn

WKR
Opening day, I would have let them walk. now if one of those had been a 30" 6Pt double droptine with 8" eye guards I would have given it more thought. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Marble

WKR
If i have to ask myself if the deer is big enough then its not. But thats just me. When you see a buck that is a monster.... you'll know it.

Its hard for me to say if I would shoot one of those bucks. There are a lot of factors I would consider.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Depends on where I was hunting and what day it was of the hunt.

Henry Mountains day one? I'm passing. Pretty much anywhere/anytime else. The buck on the right looks good to me.