Where did he go

zach_c

Lil-Rokslider
I spotted a buck across the drainage on day 5 of 6 at the beginning of archery season. A respectable non typical, not huge, but something thrilled to harvest. An hour and 45 minutes later I get over there after hustling (1,050 drop, 800 back up, 200 back down, 3.25 miles) and he's gone along with his two buddies, one of which was a distinctive tall and narrow 4x4. I couldn't keep eyes on the bucks, had good wind, ground was relatively quiet from recent rain, gone.

The point is... early Sept, velvet rubbed off, bucks coats are changing, and I only saw these bucks one time in 12 days (days = 2 scouting + 6 hunt + 4 more hunt) and I glass a lot from several vantage points. Keep in mind the drainage is sizable. I even spent several days on the back side of the face that I saw them on. Other bucks in the area I have seen repeatedly. Two of those bucks I haven't seen again, not sure about the 3rd as he wasn't anything special. Are they holed up in dark timber or gone nocturnal? I have a hard believing they left the area. Where did he go?

Last edited:
OP
zach_c

zach_c

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Most of the data and people from F&G and my experience shows that migration generally runs in mid Oct. Though, I'm sure there is small subset of the population that is early or late in migrating.

I’d be looking in the nearest heavier cover. I bet he’s still right there, just holding tighter to timber/brush ect, and probably not exposing himself during daylight hours too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet he's still there as well. When they slough that velvet and change summer fur, they become a completely different creature.