Sheep Show

If you think Dalls are expensive look at a stone hunt in the top areas or even a moose hunt in the Yukon or NWT!!!
I was reading the fine print of a moose hunt they auctioned taking place in Western AK and it said, "additional hunter allowed for $38,000." That is insanity. Gotta be close to $50,000 for a smelly moose after it's all paid up.

Are the majority of people at shows like this sheep hunters that are going down to buy hunts or just people coming to party/socialize/get content for their social media? You would think at some point attendance would start to rapidly fall off as people realize they will literally never be able to afford a sheep hunt.

I was reading the fine print of a moose hunt they auctioned taking place in Western AK and it said, "additional hunter allowed for $38,000." That is insanity. Gotta be close to $50,000 for a smelly moose after it's all paid up.

Are the majority of people at shows like this sheep hunters that are going down to buy hunts or just people coming to party/socialize/get content for their social media? You would think at some point attendance would start to rapidly fall off as people realize they will literally never be able to afford a sheep hunt.

I went last year with my wife and some friends. It was a lot of fun. I have no dreams of ever hunting a sheep. Just cool to be around people who care about wild places and being a hunting nerd in a place with other hunting nerds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I went last year with my wife and some friends. It was a lot of fun. I have no dreams of ever hunting a sheep. Just cool to be around people who care about wild places and being a hunting nerd in a place with other hunting nerds.

Same experience, I went this year for the first time and talked with interesting people and had fun. No way I could participate in the auction but they are fun to watch. Hopefully I can make it back every year

The moose hunt in question sold in the auction for north of 70K.

cbeard64

WKR
If you think about all the industry folks out there it doesn’t take long to add up to a lot of people. The sheep, moose, and mountain goat outfitters alone are a sizeable group. Add in the conservation group folks, the taxidermists, the gear folks, etc. and it’s a lot of people just on the vendor side.

That show is a “must-attend” for vendors given all the wealthy hunters who are there. I have attended several Sheep Shows and they are not crowded like some other shows, but my guess is there are a lot more actual bookings per attendee there than at other shows.

I have no doubt the skyrocketing prices of the hunts will mean less attendance by folks of average means in the future. I think it already has. IDK if I will ever attend another one as I have probably booked my last adventure hunt due to the crazy prices.

It will be interesting to see what these out-of-reach prices will do to participation in sheep conservation groups by regular folks in the future. Seems like it would be hard to keep folks engaged in the conservation of animals that they will never have any realistic chance to hunt.

S-3 ranch

WKR
If you think about all the industry folks out there it doesn’t take long to add up to a lot of people. The sheep, moose, and mountain goat outfitters alone are a sizeable group. Add in the conservation group folks, the taxidermists, the gear folks, etc. and it’s a lot of people just on the vendor side.

That show is a “must-attend” for vendors given all the wealthy hunters who are there. I have attended several Sheep Shows and they are not crowded like some other shows, but my guess is there are a lot more actual bookings per attendee there than at other shows.

I have no doubt the skyrocketing prices of the hunts will mean less attendance by folks of average means in the future. I think it already has. IDK if I will ever attend another one as I have probably booked my last adventure hunt due to the crazy prices.

It will be interesting to see what these out-of-reach prices will do to participation in sheep conservation groups by regular folks in the future. Seems like it would be hard to keep folks engaged in the conservation of animals that they will never have any realistic chance to hunt.
Yep it’s a huge deal for the vendors and outfitters
more buyers than tire kickers, SCI was a good show for my uncle and I also

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I was there. I only saw a couple of open spots in the vendor hall and the area to the right was larger than last year.

Did get sticker shock on the price of Dall hunts. Significant increase over prior year and many outfitters booking into 2026

I talked with the NWT outfitter I’d like to take my Dall with. He’s booked thru 2025 and he wouldn’t even give me a price for 2026 saying it will be significantly higher than the current $36,000 it is currently. I do believe I’m out. My last hope is my son takes up residence in AK after nursing school. If that doesn’t pan out I believe the only white sheep I will hunt will be if I win a raffle.

Show seemed very well attended and the less than 1 and life member breakfast as well as each night’s banquet were PACKED.

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone hear any AK outfitters not booking a few years out due to fear of season closing/non resident opportunity restriction?

Can’t hunt until ‘26 but considering putting the deposit down now.

Anyone hear any AK outfitters not booking a few years out due to fear of season closing/non resident opportunity restriction?

Can’t hunt until ‘26 but considering putting the deposit down now.

The elephant in the room is what will happen in 19c. That may foretell the fortunes of future non resident sheep hunters.

What are Desert Sheep prices doing? The Sonora herds are strong and growing (due to ranching sheep and releases to the wild) did you see any prices?
After a quick look online a short while back, I think private DBHS hunts in Texas and Mexico are going for $75,000+, excluding tips, travel, and other expenses. Probably higher now than that price. Upwards of $100,000 per hunt soon???

cbeard64

WKR
While all other hunts have skyrocketed in price, Mexico Desert hunt costs have actually stabilized or even gone down some as a result of increased populations.

Lots of operations have been raising and releasing sheep over the past few years.

gearguywb

WKR
While all other hunts have skyrocketed in price, Mexico Desert hunt costs have actually stabilized or even gone down some as a result of increased populations.

Lots of operations have been raising and releasing sheep over the past few years.
Agreed. I am going to brake open the piggy bank for a retirement present to myself for '25.

LaPoloma made the short list along with one outfitter in Alaska for a combo hunt