Sheep points-Want to apply my newborn son so someday he can hunt them.

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Hi all! I was recently blessed to become a father to a wonderful little boy earlier this spring. Ever since then, I've been thinking about how I can set him up for hunts and opportunities that I didn't necessarily get to experience. I've studied the strategies and hunted deer/elk in multiple states and have a decent idea of where to start for him there, however, sheep hunting is something that I've just never looked into much. Mainly, because I know I'm a little late to the party to realistically have a chance at gaining enough points to draw a tag and also due to the price point. I hope to get lucky someday though too.

With that said, I'd like to try and give him a little jump start. I plan to do more research but figured I'd ask on here as well since there are plenty of knowledgeable people who have this stuff down. First off, is this a realistic idea and possible? Secondly, If you were in my position, which states would you look into for the best opportunity down the road. Also, which states are the most reasonable to apply for if I'm just looking at getting him started on points for now. I'm clueless when it comes to sheep stuff so bear with me please! Thanks in advance!

freu1chr

FNG
Montana use to be the only state that allowed you to buy points for kids before turning hunting age but they stopped that. There are no states that you can buy points for kids under hunting age. I was able to get my 4 year old son 2 points in montana before they stopped allowing us to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Dang it! I was afraid that might be the case. Guess I'll have to wait until he is hunter ed certified for points then.

ResearchinStuff, Thats something I just might consider. A little here and there over the years could add up up give him a damn nice hunt. Looks like the college fund just became the sheep hunt fund!!! Thanks for that idea.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Dang it! I was afraid that might be the case. Guess I'll have to wait until he is hunter ed certified for points then.

ResearchinStuff, Thats something I just might consider. A little here and there over the years could add up up give him a damn nice hunt. Looks like the college fund just became the sheep hunt fund!!! Thanks for that idea.
Awesome through though fella.

CorbLand

WKR
Every state has different ages you can start gaining points for so make sure you look at that. I would start that investment account now, so you can afford to put him in for sheep tags in every state that has them.

No one knows the hunting future almost two decades from now, but I would sock money away for him and your family every year.

Buy a safari package to Africa for the entire family when he turns 18 as a birthday and graduation gift. Africa is still probably your best value in hunting - no points, no draws, friendly and appreciative people, plus, plus, plus…

Many people that hunt Africa end up returning multiple times. Good luck and Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

OP
W

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Thanks All! I am definitely going to start stashing away some cash in an account for him for a future hunt of some sort, least as much as I can afford anyways!

I actually just had a buddy that traveled to Africa for a hunt. He had an "in" through a friend of his that got him a decent deal through the outfitter there. It's something I've thought about since he has sort of a connection there now and he plans to go back at some point. He had one heck of a hunt, that's for sure!

6.5x284

WKR
As mentioned MT was the last to turn it off. The good news is lots of states have great tags, and discounted prices on many things. Huntin Fool has an article or podcast discussing the youth game. Some states have a minimum age, others just need hunters ed. All that is discussed much better than I can repeat it. But, with MT changing their rules, no more points from birth.

Fowl Play

WKR
I am completely out of my element here, but figured I'd ask. In Florida, I have purchased a lifetime hunting license at a reduced rate for my children. And using that license, can build points for my kids by applying for hunts they will never get. Does any loophole like that exist for western states?

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I'd echo what's been said above on investing what you were planning to put in for points . If you were consistent and started now, he might be able to pull off a grand slam, if those all haven't entered the six digits by then. I think it's doable and a righteous cause. If he doesn't like sheep, you can pivot to whatever his tastes might end up being. Maybe he'll be a giant elk guy and you can get an outfitter/landowner tag for him when the time is right. I tried to put in my nephew for a sheep tag in CA this year, but at 12 he wasn't old enough. I think he has to be 16. Still wish he could get a point as he's already in the draw for elk, antelope and deer.

Good luck!

t_carlson

WKR
tbh, it's probably easier to start an investment account for him so he can just buy a governor's tag, or whatever else he wants, in 30 years.

That is exactly what I thought when I read the title.

The problem is, point creep and US economic policy make both options somewhat uncertain...

MP.hunter

FNG
I used to be able to buy OIL points for kids in WA but they stopped that. It did pay off for me though as my now 14 year old son drew a sheep tag at 12 and at the time he had 10 points. Unfortunately now you need hunters Ed to purchase a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Backup plans:

Bluegill fishing in a good farm pond
Turkey gobbling his way in
Bull elk bugling during a muzzleloader hunt
Whitetail deer in various settings
Dove hunt on a good field
Mallards cupping their wings
Crappie spawn on a good lake
Rabbit hunt with or without a good beagle
Doe antelope hunt
SD pheasants

Most parents struggle with paying $100,000 for a college education. Don't be too concerned if your kid doesn't kill a wild sheep. They'll still have a lot of really cheap to almost free things they can do in the outdoors that provide a lifetime of memories.

If sheep is a have to deal, I'd start saving $3,000 a year in a stock market index fund, and by the time he is 20 you should be able to pay for a dall hunt.

Congrats on being a new dad, exciting times.

Last edited:

Homer

FNG
Everyone’s financial situation is different but if it comes down to a choice of either saving money for years for a sheep hunt and buying sheep points or getting to actually take your kid on a smaller trip every year I know which I’d prefer. Sheep hunting is an amazing experience I’ve been lucky enough to do a few times but I wouldn’t trade the yearly duck/pheasant/fishing trips my dad took me on growing up for any sheep slam out there.

@Whiskey_Z
I agree with others that the best option is saving money over the years.

That said, do your homework on youth hunts. There are multiple states where youth can apply for sheep at a significantly lower cost than adults. Yes, the odds suck. But why not apply your kid, or kids, to numerous different states with shitty odds from the ages of 10-17 giving them multiple “long shot” odds? Each state is different on the min and max age of “youth”. Then, when they turn 18, you decide what states are worth committing to for the long haul. That is what I did with my boys. After reading this, look at what the cost in WA is for youth sheep/goat.

Meanwhile, keep the long term savings going.

Kurts86

WKR
Nv.,az, wy.

The minimum ages for points in those states is 12, 10 and 11 (the year they turn 12).

The reality is the lower 48 sheep tags on points aren’t realistic for anyone with zero points today regardless of age or state of residency. We have 20-40 year old points systems and pulling a sheep tag is either random luck or requires you got in within the first 3 years of the points system starting and never missed a year.

The generations of hunters that set up the current points systems have burned their kids and grandkids of any realistic chance of pulling a sheep tag as long as the current system stands. Points systems don’t work once the annual tag supply is less than 10x the supply, they really don’t work with demand 100x the supply.

Anecdotally I could go sheep hunting annually for what it cost to have 2 kids in daycare annually.