Sheep Hunting Packs?

cmeier117

WKR
Luke-

Are you just saying the 80 lbs limit on the KU because or the material not really having a shape and it barreling worse than Cordura?

dotman

WKR
Luke-

Are you just saying the 80 lbs limit on the KU because or the material not really having a shape and it barreling worse than Cordura?

Maybe Aron will chim in but he hasn't said the 100lb load he rolled down the mountain while using the ku pack was uncomfortable. Same suspension isn't it?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I believe the material will/has handled much more than 80 lbs. That said 100 pounds in a Timberline will ride better than 100 lbs in a KU 5200. Yes the suspension is the same, but its what I have found.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru let me know that my Timberlne is on its way! Before that I used a $150 pack from Wholesale Sports (Canadian retailer). It served me well for about seven seasons, but I'm hoping for a bit more comfort with the Kifaru.

Frans

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently using a Mystery Ranch Behemoth (6500). My prior pack was a MR Cerberus. I've still got some fine tuning to do on my Behemoth pack, but all in all I've been happy with them both.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru let me know that my Timberlne is on its way! Before that I used a $150 pack from Wholesale Sports (Canadian retailer). It served me well for about seven seasons, but I'm hoping for a bit more comfort with the Kifaru.

Frans

Looking forward to seeing this new pack Frans!

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Kifaru DT1 ordered! Look forward to receiving it! Thanks to Aron and Kifaru for working with me and my 6'8" frame!
Kifaru has the best customer service and is tops in regards to listening to hunters needs and wants!

cmeier117

WKR
Kifaru DT1 ordered! Look forward to receiving it! Thanks to Aron and Kifaru for working with me and my 6'8" frame!
Kifaru has the best customer service and is tops in regards to listening to hunters needs and wants!

You still get lift with the 26" frame?

Are they going to be able to get it to you by Aug.? I ordered mine a month ago and they said it will be mid July before I get it.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
The most recent that I heard for DT shipments is 13 July. I talked with Angie at Kifaru on Thursday.

I've used Kifaru (3 models), Dana Design (Astralplane), Mystery Ranch (Nice 6500, G7000, Nice 8500) and Barney's Pinnacle and Moose. I've had clients with everything else in between: Camp Trails, Osprey, Blacks Creek, Lowe/Alpine, Gregory, Kelty, Eberlestock. One of the only packs I've never seen or used is the McHale, but I've heard it is very good also. Some of my Canadian friends use the Wilderness Wanderer and swear by it. It is a big frame pack. The Kuiu should be good when they release their new model. I think it will be larger and stronger than the Original. The Outdoorsman's pack, when they come out with their bigger bag, is decent also. For big extended day backpack hunts, the Mystery Ranch 6500 and larger packs and Barney's Pinnacle or Yukon are hard to beat. Both will handle 150 lb loads and will carry camp and the sheep in one load. The other packs can't handle this as well. The new Kifaru Timberline, G2 is quite good. I used it to carry a 130 lb + load for 3 miles last year and it worked well, with no damage to the pack. Kifaru's standard packs are good too. My go-to pack for everything is my Nice 8500 (Gigantor), but it is very heavy at over 13 lbs and not necessary for most people. Dana Custom made it for a few people, but it is not a production pack. It just does anything I need it too. Their 7500 CU bags are big enough for almost everyone. The Barney's Packs are easier to load and they keep the weight closer to your back, making it easier to walk upright. If just day hunting or hunting with horses, most packs will work. For true backpacking, most packs fall short.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Taking the Kifaru Timberline out for the first time tomorrow. Won't really know how it feels later though, when we out for longer trips. Still getting used to all the straps and thingies...

I picked this one because it is lighter than some of the competition. I really don't need a pack that is comfortable with a 130 lbs load... I only weigh a 130 lbs...

Duk Dog, meet me at the East End of Rundle trailhead at 8am tomorrow, you can see the pack up close :)

Frans

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
McHale-CM-II-L.jpg

I'm going to outfit this way for my trip to the Yukon with Blackstone this September.

Here it is in action on a goat hunt, I in 2010 in Alaska:

docdonpacken-L.jpg

This is the McHale CM-II in green dyed Dyneema. I've tried the Mystery Ranch NICE gear and it's great but seemed to be heavy and hold the load away from my back. I've got a Timberline to try out, but the lack of stays in the snow collar area makes the upper part of the pack seem off balanced to me, lastly I have a Barneys Hunter that I was going to try out this year, but can't get comfortable with the load. Maybe I just fit with the McHale. I will say that I am always a guided hunter, so the load is comparatively reduced from what some of you guys carry

Another thing, I've gotten comfortable with hiking long distances with the Kifaru gun bearer, but the thing that bugs me about it is the "fiddle factor". Getting up from a rest, getting the pack back on and then the rifle back into the bearer, usually puts me behind the guide/hunting partner.

Great pack docdb! I looked at the CMII and i believe it is the pack I demo'ed. In the end though I need the space of the Inex as a ninimum and even elected to go +2" on the diameter to get a little more capacity. Dan also recommended I step up the stay thickness a little for weight hauling which has served me well over 100lbs. . My wife fights with packs trying to get comfortable and if she ever shows interest in longer trips I will not pour money into production packs I will just have Dan build one for her too and be done with it.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I just received the TZ 6000 the mail. Thanks Rokslide and Tenzing. It has alot of great features and I'm sure it will be a great asset this fall.
Gonna throw some weight in it and compare with my Osprey Aether 85. After getting my 2012 Draw tags in the mail then this, not sure much more can top it. Well, except this fall :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well, I just received the TZ 6000 the mail. Thanks Rokslide and Tenzing. It has alot of great features and I'm sure it will be a great asset this fall.
Gonna throw some weight in it and compare with my Osprey Aether 85. After getting my 2012 Draw tags in the mail then this, not sure much more can top it. Well, except this fall :)

Glad to hear ya got the pack man!! We'll deserved and I know we'll be able to put it to use this fall. Between a Barney's, a Tenzing, and a Kifaru we'll have our pack bases covered well on our little endeavor.

Bighorse

WKR
Vacation

Some guys dream of Vegas. Some Hawaii. Me I'm cruising the mountains with that exact set up. A Golite Tepee, a stout pack, some grub, poles, and rifle. That photo is sweet and screams vacation to me.
CtP we're gonna be rocking the mountains real soon here. I hope you find a HUGE Chugach ram to notch your tag with. I'll be happy to cut him up for ya.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Golite Tepee, a stout pack, some grub, poles, and rifle. That photo is sweet and screams vacation to me.

I couldnt agree more! I like a trip to the beach on occasion, but really there is no place else I would rather be than in the picture above. Which is good, because we seem to be logging a lot of nights in our tipi lately and the season hasn't even kicked off yet...