Sheep Hunter dies in Alaska Range south of Fairbanks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thats the same guy someone posted about him missing thats sad.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Its been a pretty bad year up here for sheep hunters this year. From bear maulings, people getting lost, hurt, and now this guy getting killed during a rockslide. The weather has surely sided with the sheep so far this year as well.

Stay safe fellas.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
They just updated the story. Evidently there was a rock above them while they were walking in a creek bottom that came down and hit him. All the rain probably made the rock loose... Goes to show that when its your time, its your time. Prayers to the family.

Jimbob

WKR
Sad.

No disrespect meant but we can use situations like this to learn. The article said the guide pulled him from the water placed a jacket on him then LEFT and returned with help an HOUR later. Do some of these guides have no first aid training? I know I would not leave for help until the victim was stable.

I know I don't have the whole story and talking with the guide would clarify things but man it just seems like mistakes were made.

a3dhunter

WKR
Sad.

No disrespect meant but we can use situations like this to learn. The article said the guide pulled him from the water placed a jacket on him then LEFT and returned with help an HOUR later. Do some of these guides have no first aid training? I know I would not leave for help until the victim was stable.

I know I don't have the whole story and talking with the guide would clarify things but man it just seems like mistakes were made.

Easy to second guess in this situation, but the same thought occurred to me.
I wonder if the other guide was who had the phone to call for help?

Either way, condolences to the family and also to the guides. Not easy to have someone die on your watch no matter what the situation.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
Very sad, Prayers for the family. We will probably never know exactly what happened, but throwing a coat over the guy and leaving probably wasn't the best thing to do. A really bad day for all.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sad.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter!

Prayers to the family! Very sad deal.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
I under stand where everyone is coming from, but lets not cast too much judgement. It's an easy thing to do.

Mother Nature here in Alaska is a cruel hearted bitch and there's risk in every step whether its on the mountain or the river.

Last month we floated a river that was blown out and wicked. Sweepers and strainers dime a dozen. I rounded a cutbank that had enough force I couldn't power out and was forced under a tree, no sooner do I make a clean exit I ramp up a boulder and was in the river. The water was so powerful it was towing me under a bank of trees. Yeah I lost a few lives on that trip. Just a hazard they came out of nowhere, no indicators upstream of a pile, GPS showed a straight cut but the rice changed course.

Point being, we can all sit and assess what we could've done, but none of us were on the mountain.

Send a prayer and chalk it up to being an eye opener.

Having had a near miss with a 30lb cliff rocket on its way to the valley below it will raise the hairs on the back if your neck!! Sad deal for sure and just one of many ways the mountains can win.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't hurt for any of us to refresh our Wilderness 1st Aid. Half the battle is mental preparedness. What will I do if xyz were to happen? There are a few things we should always focus on: fitness, wilderness skills, and first aid. My buddy and I both have a SPOT messenger. Always have it on ya. That way if he falls somewhere and I can't get to him and he can't push the button, I can push mine. While I figure out a way to safely get to him help is being scrambled.... Leaving the poor guy by himself for an hour sucks.... Maybe it was the only option, but man that really sucks... If everyone had had a beacon or a SPOT help might have gotten there a bit sooner. Maybe it would not have mattered, but its one more step in the right direction, IMO

Lots of lessons to be learned from this one.....

From the linked article:
Umphenour still isn’t sure whether Rechy died from hypothermia, shock, a heart attack or as a result of injuries sustained when the rock hit him. It had been raining all day and both Umphenour and his assistant guide “were pretty much hypothermic” by the time they reached Rechy and put him in a sleeping bag an hour or so after he was hit by the rock.
“It happened so quick we don’t really know what happened to him,” Umphenour said. “We don’t know what his injuries were.
“I’ve got limited medical training,” he said. “I’ve never dealt with someone in shock.”