Shed Hunting- is there mounting opposition?

Logan T

WKR
5miles. This happened on east side of Uncompahgre in last 11 years. By the time I found out about it, it had already gone to court and hunters lost. I do not know if they tried to fight it or just pled. I'm certainly no lawyer but brought the case up only because I keep seeing the "unenforceable" card come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity do you or anyone know of anyone else that this happened to or was this a once in a blue moon type deal? Because while I believe you, I find it hard to believe that your buddy is the only one who has ever done that. So unless there's a bunch more people who have been caught and fined, then that would mean it is hard to enforce. I mean how many of us have ever shot something and then stripped off jackets and orange with it to take care of an animal, and then put it back on when we are done? I'll be the first to raise my hand. They got caught, but I'd say that there's a bunch of law breakers out there then.

Just because someone got caught, doesn't mean that it's easy to enforce is what I'm getting at.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well the reason I remember it is because I was helping an outfitter and he was adamant about that rule of everybody keeping there orange on because of this case. I don't live in Colorado so I can't say it happens more than the time I know about. I guess my whole point is it is it when I hear people say things are unenforceable. I have to laugh. It seems that game wardens pretty much are the law and if they bust you for something, it usually sticks. I hear a lot of Internet chatter but in real world experience if I guy gets a ticket he rarely gets out of it around here. Conjecture on my part for sure so maybe I better just shut up

Logan T

WKR
Well the reason I remember it is because I was helping an outfitter and he was adamant about that rule of everybody keeping there orange on because of this case. I don't live in Colorado so I can't say it happens more than the time I know about. I guess my whole point is it is it when I hear people say things are unenforceable. I have to laugh. It seems that game wardens pretty much are the law and if they bust you for something, it usually sticks. I hear a lot of Internet chatter but in real world experience if I guy gets a ticket he rarely gets out of it around here. Conjecture on my part for sure so maybe I better just shut up

I hear ya Robby, like I said whether this became something in MT or not wouldn't affect me at all financially, but I do remember going out with family before I was old enough to hunt and have taken young kids out looking before as well, and I'd hate to see that be restricted for kids and families in the future.

Also, if people or the FWP here in MT were to consider this as an option, they had darned well think through their other policies and seasons and consider what kind of affect they have on wildlife first, before restricting is more and more--- I.e. the shoulder season for starters.

If the general public had half the consideration or ethics of a lot of the people on this site, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

slick

WKR
I hear ya Robby, like I said whether this became something in MT or not wouldn't affect me at all financially, but I do remember going out with family before I was old enough to hunt and have taken young kids out looking before as well, and I'd hate to see that be restricted for kids and families in the future.

Also, if people or the FWP here in MT were to consider this as an option, they had darned well think through their other policies and seasons and consider what kind of affect they have on wildlife first, before restricting is more and more--- I.e. the shoulder season for starters.

If the general public had half the consideration or ethics of a lot of the people on this site, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Amen.

Okay, I'll bite and add a bit more. It's obvious that shed hunting needs some management. The issue that I see is that we hunters are fully funding what little management that actually takes place. I for one feel that it should and needs to be managed; but it simply is not right to have us hunters funding it. As such, perhaps there should be licensing, and maybe even limits and something like the lobster cards required here in Ca, with the location and time of take. IMNSHO, we should be encouraging the regulation of antler gathering/hunting, and provide some ability for F&W to do some revenue generating, i.e., funding ability to manage it. Why, because I'm pretty sure hunters aren't the only ones gathering these antlers, yet we are the only ones funding it's management.

However, I am also one that hates to add to the regulations we already need to navigate, as it's becoming more and more convoluted.

Rizzy

WKR
After an antler drops would it still be F&G jurisdiction or is it now forest service/Blm jurisdiction? Either way, buying a permit and getting antler tagged and/or checked in (similar to bobcat pelts) would not hurt my feelings and be a great way for F&G to acquire age class and survival data in each unit.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did a quick search on YouTube for shed hunting videos. Yep that's correct they video the event what's more Hushing was the first one search found and has 21,472 views. Hushing has a couple with over or around 20,000 views. I watched it and still don't get what's special about it. Anyway if 20 thousand are watching videos about it how many are trying to be the next Hushing? It's a crazy world we live in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just did a quick search on YouTube for shed hunting videos. Yep that's correct they video the event what's more Hushing was the first one search found and has 21,472 views. Hushing has a couple with over or around 20,000 views. I watched it and still don't get what's special about it. Anyway if 20 thousand are watching videos about it how many are trying to be the next Hushing? It's a crazy world we live in.

Everything they do is about attracting "EYES" to them yet that's apparently what people aspire to be now.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with everything Hushin does I do generally think they are good guys and do speak their mind on behalf of public lands. They also are helping to recruit hunters to the sport. From what i have seen they play by the rules when it comes to hunting and love being in the field hunting. It is hard work to produce all that video content.

While I don't agree with everything Hushin does I do generally think they are good guys and do speak their mind on behalf of public lands. They also are helping to recruit hunters to the sport. From what i have seen they play by the rules when it comes to hunting and love being in the field hunting. It is hard work to produce all that video content.

Except they spread miss-information and used fear mongering techniques to get people to speak up against the Bears Ears monument. If you have issues with it being designated I am cool with that, but making shit up to suit your "agenda" is not cool.

CorbLand

WKR
I don't mind the Hushin guys. One of the guys on there I think his name is Eric is a shed junkie. He absolutely love finding sheds. I would imagine that's why they did a video on it. I like Hushin because they do things year round. There videos aren't just during hunting season. They have plenty of them fishing, scouting and the like. I don't understand the lure of shed hunting. I generally go out during the spring but it more gives me something to do. I have some friends that are absolute junkies but they collect them. I don't think they have sold a single one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Listen to them on the latest randy newberg podcast. Don't know if you like his stuff or not but I think they come out on the good side of pro public land diy hunting.

CorbLand

WKR
Listen to them on the latest randy newberg podcast. Don't know if you like his stuff or not but I think they come out on the good side of pro public land diy hunting.

Actually was like twenty minutes into this one a couple of hours ago but got interrupted. Now I can't decide if I want to finish it or a couple episodes of That 70's Show.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't hating on the hushing guys just that they were the first search hit. Utah does bring out the crazy in people though

oldgoat

WKR
I've never gone, I do keep my eyes open during turkey season, but the threat of stressing them is over. I think the spring season for it is a good idea with the date announced once the animals are moved out

jherald

WKR
Here in Alaska, if you are inclined to harass a Moose for sheds, you'll likely end up with a hoof tapdance on your head and stomped into the ground.

Opah

WKR
OP Shed Hunting- is there mounting opposition?
Not to shed collecting, thew opposition is with the AHOLES out driving Deer and Elk thru bushes trying to get the antlers to fall off. The opposition is with all the stress that is put on the herds by AHOLES collecting sheds, The opposition is with the use of ATVs and such tearing up the roads, trails and back country so No there is not a mounting opposition to shed collecting.
But because of theses few AHOLES which are acually Many AHOLES the States will have to regulate Shed collecting to protect the herds.

What I see coming down the Shed pipe is:
Use of ATVs and such will be prohibited
the amount of shed collected will have a limit imposed
The hours will be same as Hunting 1/2 before 1/2 after
There will be a season and wintering habitat will be closed except for the FEDs and Boy Scouts
The sale of sheds will be the key, everything above will cause the value of sheds to raise greatly
If you make selling sheds ilegal they will sky rocket and the breaking the law now could be worth the risk.
At least the laws will be enforceable, AND DON'T FORGET THE GOVERMENT CUT!! There will be permits involved that will pay for the enforcement
of the new laws