Sharps 45-70

Talk to me about sharps 45-70 rifles. Have always wanted one and it's time to get serious.

Any makers, specs, etc a guy should be aware of?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
The Italian imports are all very similar. IAB is probably the lowest end, IMO, but just fine for a shooter. Uberti, and Pedersoli are nice, but may need a little trigger work. I don't recall who Taylor's and Co import, but it is one of those two. I think Uberti, but I'm going on memory there.

Lyman imports their own from Pedersoli and it is generally nicer in quality than others. Better wood and nicely finished. More expensive too.

I have no idea about Chiappa.

Best is C Sharps, or Shiloh, but you will pay for USA made. Then again, you can customize them all you want.

I would find a good used Pedersoli or Uberti. They are both good quality. Just check the bore if anyone shot actual black powder or pyrodex in it.

Jeremy

OP
L
Any thoughts on the Marlin or Winchester 45-70?

I'd like to stay traditional with a sharps reproduction rifle due to nostalgia and it's role in the American west, but am now realizing I have opened pandora's box.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I have one of the early Remington made Marlin SBLs...fit and finish isn't great but it shoots well. Personally I'd wait until Ruger starts making them as I would hope their build and QC would be superior OR look for a prized JM Marlin.

Alternative to Marlin is Henry...they build an excellent 45-70 lever gun and should be able to handle heavy loads.

For hunting, I'd say a lever gun over single shot if for only the ability for easy carry in dark timber.

If you went single shot I'd probably head toward Pedersoli for entry level. My experience is extremely limited (shot a couple at the Quigley shoot at Forsyth, MT may years ago) but I enjoyed the feel and nostalgia they represented.

I would definitely buy one of the C Shilo or Sharps made rifles if I had the cash. Then go all out on a build because why not at that point.

I don't know how hot you can load the Sharps reproductions. As in the Hornady manual, there are three basic strength levels, original/trapdoor Springfield,, Marlin, and Ruger, with the last being strongest. The Marlins are pretty strong and your recoil tolerance will probably get to you before you reach the strength limit of the action. I have a JM Marlin cowboy with 26" barrel; it gives 110 fps more than my Remington build 18.5" which is just as nice and smooth.

Realize that the original black powder loads, or smokeless reproductions, gave a 400 gr about 1300 fps, and are fun to shoot. If you go to 1800+fps you are treading on 458 win mag territory and will feel it, especially with the small butt and drop in the traditional lever action butt stock.

dla

WKR
Big difference between a Guide Gun and a Sharps. One is a poor man's heavy in a fast handling carbine, the other is a plaything made popular by the movie "Quigley Down Under".

I hunt with a Guide Gun - 405gr @1800fps.

And, learning your trajectory will give you a 405 gr freight train for that bang-flop rather than the "I think I hit it, now lets track it for a couple miles."