Sevr Broadheads...More Trouble Than They Are Worth

AkRyan

WKR
Sevr 2.0 on a 340 axis
Vxr28 27.5 draw at 65lbs
Shot was at 28yrs and it punched through a rib and his off side shoulder. He made it 30yrds.

Attachments

• 20221106_090244.jpg
    20221106_090244.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 57
I have a tight spot quiver (no second gripper) and have had no issues with the heads opening in the quiver.

I was on a stalk earlier this year though and had an arrow knocked. I’m not sure exactly what happened but I was crawling through some grass and the blades hit something (I’m guessing a rock) and deployed. Luckily I didn’t end up getting a shot as I have no idea how it would fly deployed but I imagine not good.

I still have them in my quiver as I feel that was an abnormality and I need to be more careful and aware. I do keep a couple extra rubber bands on me at all times now though.

Fullfan

WKR
This bull did not like the 1.5.

Attachments

• A063AAC4-1629-42D6-8CB5-68263F4D1009.jpeg
    A063AAC4-1629-42D6-8CB5-68263F4D1009.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 79
  • A4ED8DBF-5E57-4844-9C45-8C7321ABA8D8.jpeg
    A4ED8DBF-5E57-4844-9C45-8C7321ABA8D8.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 76

WKR
I bought 15 to use this year for sheep and whitetails. They fly great and seemed to kill well. Blood trails seemed lacking to me but animals died at 20 yards and about 70 yards after being hit. I'll use up what I have and then may try Quad Exodus or Musacchia(USA made Muzzy basically).

If I were to keep using them I'd explore ways to sharpen them I think.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I shot this little guy 2 days ago with a 1.5. This was the entrance, nicked the heart and cut through the plumbing. A giant blood clot sort of clogged up the wound but he didn’t make it 30 yards or so. This is the second deer I shot with them, I like them. I also use a tight spot quiver and never had an issue with them opening.

302ffeb5602b5d42259550ee9ec3a6ed.jpg

561715e8830bfd93e16eb213b29d8c11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
I shot Sevr 2.0s and 1.5s for the last three years. Shot and killed 4 elk, and 4 deer with them in that time.

I did recover all of the animals. Most were very good shot placement. Almost all of them went further than I expected, and not great blood trails. Switched back to hypodermic NCs this year, and what do you know, my blood trails came back.

DOn't like the pivoting blades. Robs you of a lot of cutting surface. Just my opinion. I would never recommend them to anyone

MuleyMike

FNG
I shot 2 elk this year, one with a 2.0 and one with a 1.5, both had bent tips and bent blades, were not reusable even if I was to get replacement blades, penetration was lacking as well

I ended up finding an old oring kit at work and found some real thick ones that fit in the detent of the ferrule and I’ve never had one open in my quiver since. I’ve shot 12-15 deer with severs and never lost one but never had great blood trails either, usually watch them tip over.

Xavier

FNG
I’ve also not had any of the issues that you are describing. But what kind of quiver are you running?? I’ve got the 5 arrow tight quiver. With the double gripper. Sevr has also come together with tight spot to come up with a new quiver.

WoodBow

WKR
I disassembled 2 recently to re-sharpen for the first time. I found them to be very easy to re-assemble. No issue at all. I will say that 2 of the blades had taken a slight bend. One light tap with a hammer and they were straight again. The sharpened back up easily. I melted a drop of string wax onto them to stop the rattle. I feel like they saved my bacon on a poor shot on a doe not too long ago. Very high and fairly back. Probably liver. Big holes but almost no blood on ground due to high holes. She went 2-300.

Here’s my experience with the Sev’r heads. I’ve only shot 3 deer with them. 1 mule deer buck, 1 whitetail doe and 1 whitetail buck. Mule deer and doe were both at 40 yards and shot with a 70lb bow with 475 gr arrows if I remember right. Whitetail buck was about 25 yards and shot with an 80lb bow and 530 grain arrows.

On the Mule deer buck my arrow hung on I’m assuming by fletching on exit side and as deer ran off arrow got flung out and I was never able to find it. I know it wasn’t a complete pass through because I saw arrow sticking out of deer as he started to run. Shot placement was maybe 3” behind front leg, broadside. Deer went about 150 yards. First 50 yards of blood trail was awesome then it petered out. Almost didn’t recover deer.

Whitetail doe was about same distance with same bow/ arrow set up. Broadside also. Arrow barely passed though and was laying on ground at impact site. Blood at impact sore was again good. Didn’t follow it though because I watched deer go down about 100 yards away.

Whitetail buck was about 25 yrds with a different bow set up, heavier poundage and heavier arrow. Shot was slightly quartering towards. Arrow was a complete pass through and didn’t recover arrow. Blood was non existent at impact site. Watched deer go down so didn’t need to look for a blood trail but the soy bean field he died in didn’t have much if any of a blood trail the little I looked. He also went about 100 yards.

My experience leads me to think overall they kill but they don’t penetrate great, not as well as other mechanicals I’ve used, and I haven’t witnessed good blood trails while using them.

Attached are pictures, although not great ones but you can see shot placement. Mule deer is entrance Whitetail buck is exit side. I did not have a picture of the doe that you could tell entrance or exit points.

1aceb255e6260ac775c777c2791a048d.jpg

13c2f89f75503f86d25c74f3542ae320.jpg

b441c35dc49642d0d0aaab621602166b.jpg

4aef3f5a06250f85dcb70d2f61ce808c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
I have slots cut in my quiver, so the heads go in without opening. I also put a little string wax on the blades, so they don't rattle when they are closed in my quiver. I don't think they're really that much more of a pain than any other broadheads, and the flight I get with them, in windy conditions or even when I torque the shot make them more favorable than other broadheads for me. But I like to tinker and try new things, so I will continue to try new broadheads. I got my first Sevr deer kill a couple weeks ago, a late season blacktail. I ended up making a poor shot as the deer spun/moved when I shot. He was quartered away, but I hit him back…way back. The 2.0 put him down quick, even with a poor shot. He went about 50 yds. It’s really hard to say if the Sevr 2.0 caused him to die sooner vs. a different broadhead, but it most definitely did its job. There was blood right at the shot location and every time he landed as he ran away, there was another big spray.

E9AAFFAA-2FD2-4524-BE7E-EB3E59C87907.jpeg

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
I have had the same issues with the Sevr's opening in the quiver. This was my first year to ever use a mechanical and shot a cow at 35 yards with the 1.5. Arrow went through the front scapula and buried into the offside shoulder with the tip just protruding through the hide on the offside.

While the blood trail was minimal she only went 30 yards and started coughing blood and fell over and died in less than 5 minutes. I will always carry at least one mechanical from now on, just not sure of which one as the Sevr is the only one I have ever tried.

The deploying in the quiver part is a headache but I was also happy with the results.

Sample size of one but I tried a Sevr 1.5 this a year because it grouped better than my field points out past 60 yds. Pass through on mule deer buck and watched him tumble after going 20 yards. That being said shot placement is king and I made a good shot tucked behind the front shoulder. I was pretty confident based on how the Sevrs flew.

dwills

FNG
I think they’re on par with rage trypans as far as expandables go. I’ve moved away from them due to penetration issues but will keep the 1.5s around as a good flying long distance option when wind is an issue.