Setting up a 4 person hunt with 3 Newbs, what would you suggest???

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to have to say bring them on an OTC hunt where you can setup a nice camp site. Everyone wants to be a backpack hunter but few possess the physical and mental capabilities to be an effective hunter while backpacking. With them not having any western experience breaking them in with a nice established camp and day hunting from there or moving locations and setting up several camp sites throughout the duration of the hunt close to the road will likely yield better results. Then this way if any of them decide to pack it in during the hunt they have a camp to sit around and relax instead of push to come off the mountain. Nothing will ruin a friendship quicker than a bad hunting partner experience especially if they want to point the truck back East sooner than expected. Good luck to ya.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm setting the over/under on dudes who actually show up at 1.5.
And those that do show up will not even remotely be prepared for this trip. They will look at his gear list as a "suggestion" and assume they can just use his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Similar story... I wanted to take my daughter on a western hunt this fall as she's a senior and we wanted some dedicated daddy/daughter time. She was young enough to apply for a youth elk tag in WY and got the tag.

A good friend of a friend had hunted elk in CO 6 times (killed a cow his first trip) and killed 2 antelope in WY. His son went with him on the antelope hunts and was also interested in a youth cow tag. He also got the tag.

Both of the kids are experienced whitetail, upland, and small game hunters.

I'd been on one wilderness elk hunt last fall.

Logistically, since he had the most experience and had a contact in Gillette to help us with locations, information, tips, I gladly offered to drive. Since this was a mid-October hunt, we brought tents/camping gear to hopefully spike out for a couple days, but also realized the kids' enjoyment was paramount. With this in mind, we rented a forest service cabin ($35/night) with wood stove, bunk beds, and outhouse as our primary base camp. This ensured we had a warm place to land every day as well as an efficient means to dry out clothes, etc...

We both brought frozen meals prepared at home for dinners every night. For lunches we got our own groceries and also shared leftovers. He brought a 2 burner propane stove and I brought one of my full tanks.

We waited until the end of the trip to settle up on gas money vs. cabin rental. As it turned out he owed me around $50 for fuel. No biggy...

We didn't punch any tags on the trip, but we learned a lot more about each other, and the shared suffering in the mountains galvanized our friendship. He's no longer a good friend of a friend. I now consider him one of my best friends. Our kids also bonded, and I'm sure will be retelling the stories of the hunt whenever they see each other in the future. Although we didn't kill anything, the hunt was still an overwhelming success.

Like others have said, preparation is key, and if you have any doubts about any of the guys pulling their weight, its best to have those conversations before any tags or other money is spent. Woodsmanship, marksmanship, etc..., won't make any difference if you don't have shared committment, positive attitude, and expectations for the trip. Good luck!

Not 3 others, I hunt with a friend (actually more like a brother) as a lot of others said be damn sure of who your hunting with. He and I have know each other since 17 years old. Never a problem we seem to be both cut from the same cloth. Not a campimg trip trip but 2019 antelope in Wyoming he ask me if it would be O.K for two other guys to go along, then it turned into four, as the area we hunted was suitable for a group that size said o.k. The one guy I knew but never done anything like hunting with him. This bozo turned out to be a total idiot, hunting, I never laid eyes on anyone except my buddy while hunting, we were staying in a motel and the next morning we head out to where we were hunting it was like 0 dark thirty in the morning and the guy who was his partner for the hunt says we got stopped last night coming out of the hunting area, for not closing a gate and the guy who stopped us was not happy, right there I told him he knew the rules as we had a meeting prior to the hunt and all was laid out on how to conduct yourself and the ranchers rules, he just shrugs and walked off. O.K. I told his partner if you want to hunt with me again take care of this idiot. Back at the motel pulled him to the side and flat out told him, you know the rules FOLLOW them or this is the last time I take you. His hunting partner (they worked together) said I will double check everything he does) 2021 trip stayed a night on the road in S. Dakota we were almost to where we were going to hunt get a phone call to pull over as they were behind us, seems the same guy left a lap top in a hotel room that was related to work ( a federal issued law enforcement lap top ) and had to go back, told him see you in Wyoming. This coming year going back for mule deer and antelope he will be along F777 this up and your on the bench, I will not take this clown to a tea party, I am a easy going fellow to hunt with but three strikes and your out. Be careful who you hunt with, I go to hunt not baby sit.

And those that do show up will not even remotely be prepared for this trip. They will look at his gear list as a "suggestion" and assume they can just use his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
BINGO! Before planning anything send each guy a REQUIRED gear list. And be very clear they are not leaving the house without everything on the list. I learned a lesson on this one. You would think sending over a gear list would get that point across, but people that have never done it don't get it.

You mentioned not hunting yourself and just being the guide for your friends, but is a professionally guided hunt out of the question? Personally there's nothing I would rather do less than be the most experienced hunter and organizer of a public land diy friends trip like that. As you can probably tell by the comments here, it's fairly common to have trips (and friendships) ruined or canceled because someone is unprepared or bails last minute or during the actual hunt for various reasons.

grfox92

WKR
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Too many guys.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Other hunts all of you could get tags for pretty easy:
-Spring/fall black Bear (CO September Rifle seasons, WY/MT/ID spring tags)
-Spring turkey hunt in New Mexico (Merriam's in the mountains). Actually a pretty good primer to let them buy a couple points next year and get a feel for the mountains.
-Antelope is usually a good pick for a first western hunt, but unless you have 10+ points you want to split with the 3 other guys you'll be lucky to hunt. Not many 0 point units left in Wyoming.
-Truthfully your best bet would be to party apply in New Mexico for a deer hunt that has lots of public land and lots of tags.

The pros of the hunts above is that nobody is totally out of their comfort zone on tag costs. An elk hunt with 4 guys, 3 of whom have never been, does not a good first western hunt make. Still questionable to me even if it was fully guided.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Im still loving the replies! Although I have to say Im surprised there is almost zero optimism. I am fully aware of the chances of this being a disaster and even more aware of the odds of not all 3 actually showing up.

Its funny Im seeing the Antelope recommendations as that is what I always tell first timers to do for their first western trip as well, and one of my most enjoyable hunts. But Im doubting if they could get tags anywhere now with the changes to states NR license structures.

I do like the idea of a base camp, and I have small outfitter wall tent that would work if there was 3 of us, but dont think it would work with 4. As for a fully guided hunt, I personally would have zero interest in one, and doubt if many of them would. (1 for sure would not, the others may) Im pretty addicted to backcountry hunting out of my pack as I truly believe it greatly increases my odds for success, but Im well aware it is def not for everybody.

I will say this, to the contrary of most replies, My Sept hunt with 4 newbies who had never backpacked before was totally awesome. All followed my gear recommendations (for the most part) and all showed up in shape and willing to hunt their asses off. I was pleasantly surprised and please. So I know it is possible!

southLA

WKR
Man even with just a couple of friends who don't have the same mindset as you, it's a disaster waiting to happen. They'll want to not sit a spot at last light, you'll hear "that's too steep", "let's just go get a burger in town", "there's nothing here pick another spot". As you may have guessed, i'm hunting solo this year....

I will say this, to the contrary of most replies, My Sept hunt with 4 newbies who had never backpacked before was totally awesome. All followed my gear recommendations (for the most part) and all showed up in shape and willing to hunt their asses off. I was pleasantly surprised and please. So I know it is possible!
Well you certainly have the right attitude about it! It would be fun if you update this thread with a recap after you do this trip.

-Spring turkey hunt in New Mexico (Merriam's in the mountains). Actually a pretty good primer to let them buy a couple points next year and get a feel for the mountains.
This is my vote as well. Turkeys.

Jethro

WKR
I’m optimistic. Deuce has the right attitude. I think all of the gang will go and you’ll have a blast regardless of tags getting filled. Still 2 trucks though 😉

All of us had that full of unknown 1st trip at some point and were still going

Edit to add there’s no way I’d actually hunt in a group of 4. 2 groups of 2.

I’ll add that the guy/son my daughter and I partnered with has hunted pheasants with us for about 15 years. So I knew him well and he knew me and we shared similar approaches and levels of intensity for hunting. This was key in my decision to try this hunt, and I encourage you to try out some of the guys’ suggestions outside of elk season to learn a little more about the group. This should help you “weed” folks out if necessary.