September Hunt Ideas - what and where to hunt?

I have 10 days in September to get away for a hunting trip due to some other obligations this year. I am curious, if you guys had 10 days what animal would you hunt and what state? I am tempted to go chase some screaming elk but also like the idea of a low key whitetail hunt in Kansas or Iowa too. What say you? For reference I have already hunted elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, and whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk would be #1 for me but just for a different flavor......a cast and blast float trip on the Salmon river is something I've always wanted to do.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Just going off your list of what you have already done, I don't see Bear anywhere, so I will suggest one of the early September bear seasons in Virginia or West Virginia for ya

Scottyboy

WKR
If you don’t have points in Iowa, cross that off your list.

Elk is never the wrong answer though

OP
T
Some good suggestions. I have done some bear hunting too but I like the idea of going again. They are fun to hunt. Elk or high country mule deer sure are tempting though. Something about the mountains!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ19

WKR
I would hunt squirrels in Wyoming.
I think there are a number of guides that will take you on guided pine squirrel hunts in wyoming wilderness areas. A buddy of mine got a euro mount of a big male gray squirrel he killed a few years back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Doesn't Iowa deer open Oct 1st? Kansas is a draw for a tag, Idaho tags are gone, Colorado deadline for draw is tomorrow? I think. MT draw is already passed, same with Utah, WY elk draw deadline has passed. You don't really have many options at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kentivan

FNG
I can share my experience in September hunting for ducks. Hunting for ducks in the early days of September is not much different from hunting in August, but with dangerous months it becomes much more complicated and requires from the September hunter not only knowledge of the habits of game, but also a certain shooting skill and skill. In addition to the fact that in September you often have to shoot at dusk, the duck has become stronger on the wound, and the shooting distance, as a rule, at fast-flying game is greater than in August.
Here you have to hit with a long takeaway, and the requirements for the battle of the gun are quite strict. Accuracy at 40-45 meters is in no way less than 50%, and even this is with a cartridge with an enhanced charge (from 40 grams of shot), and a standard cartridge should have an accuracy of around 70%, which already requires sufficient shooting skill from the hunter.

Scoot

WKR
My top 19 picks would be elk. #20... elk. I imagine there are other critters out there to hunt in September, but don't care.

Kinda your only options currently if you missed the draws are otc elk in Colorado or maybe getting a leftover tag in the secondary draw for mule deer in Colorado. Something i wish i did in colorado was packed a little fishing rod. So many lakes and streams have good trout in them that i couldnt catch

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk