Self pep talks

If you've had a couple crap years of hunting and you're feeling like you've forgotten how to be a good hunter, what are some strategies you use or what do you tell yourself or remind yourself of to get yourself motivated and confident again?

I've got 1 or maybe 2 days left of my hunting season to arrow an elk in a really tough area. My freezer is empty and I'm feeling like I suck. So I'm trying to figure out how to stay confident, hunt smart this weekend, and do what I can to make it more likely I'll fill tag.
My mantra for decades now has been "It only takes one."

I just remind myself that I'm only looking for one animal. That's all I need. And that critter can show up at any time.

Hang in there. Hunting is supposed to be fun. The quickest way to make it un-fun is to put too much pressure on yourself to harvest something.

packer58

WKR
If you've had a couple crap years of hunting and you're feeling like you've forgotten how to be a good hunter, what are some strategies you use or what do you tell yourself or remind yourself of to get yourself motivated and confident again?

I've got 1 or maybe 2 days left of my hunting season to arrow an elk in a really tough area. My freezer is empty and I'm feeling like I suck. So I'm trying to figure out how to stay confident, hunt smart this weekend, and do what I can to make it more likely I'll fill tag.
Stay in the game, by staying in the game you'll put yourself in a position to take advantage of possibly the single opportunity your going to have on an elk during this "tough" hunt. You've waited all year or possibly multiple years for this hunt, keep at it and good things can happen ...

Rob5589

WKR
I can sympathize 100%. I try to recall my successes, which aren't many. But that feeling you get when you get one down is what I try to think about.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What I like to say is, if what you are doing is not working, change it up a bit, if you are use to sitting in a stand, try still hunting, this works real good on windy days.

Jethro6x6

FNG
walked around in the colorado mountains for a week in 1-3 feet of snow freezing my ass off this year only to get skunked. My back hurt, my legs and lungs were burning. I was cold, cold. cold. But I am pushing 50 and I have started to appreciate that I won't always be able to do this. Someday, I will take my last walk in the mountains. Until then, it is enough to enjoy the scenery, soak in the solitude and stay in the chase. Keep hunting. Just hoping for a few m ore magic moments before my time is done. Now, I am back home in the east, suiting up for the last couple of days of rifle whitetail season to fill that hole in my freezer that was meant for an elk. For the next hour, I will be under the stars listening to the wind blow and the woods wake up. For a couple more hours, I will sit and wait and hope for that monster buck or at least a nice sized doe to wonder into one of my lanes. Though I will be happy, part of me will be dreaming of next year and that next walk in the cold mountain air. Kills are great. Meat in the freezer. Trophies on the wall. But the real win is just to play the game. For as long and as well as you can, just keep hunting.
amen, trust me-@ 62,,, we just keep on pushing,, I hope to never give in, or give up,,, onward,,,

OP
H
Thanks all.

I will absolutely get out and bust my butt. No problem there.

I need to "remember" how to hunt.

To me, hunting is more than filling a tag. It is the journey and hard work that is the best part for me. My freezer has been empty for two seasons now. I have busted my ass more than most. I have been frozen, wet, and muddy, and I know most would have called it in those moments.

But those were also times when I created strong memories with my best friend. Those were times when it made me appreciate the good things we have in life. None of us are filling our freezers out necessity. We are spending way more than we are getting out of our meat. But its not about that.

Everyone is different and I can't tell you what type of man YOU should be. But I know for myself, I learned a while ago life is too short to put pressure on things like hunting. This world has got you in a pressure cooker in every way. Hunting is my way to escape all the bullshit and appreciate this beautiful world God has made for us.

So if you were to ask me specifically. Maybe you suck, maybe your not a good hunter, maybe you are a great hunter but just have had some unlucky days. MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE. Who the heck knows? But your sure spending a lot of your time worrying about the end result without appreciating the beauty that comes with just enjoying the journey. I would gladly trade places with you, knowing I would come home with an empty freezer. Just to be out in nature enjoying it all, the sounds, the smells, the animals.

Good Luck.
I kill less stuff than I used to.

But I feel like I'm a better hunter. I do cool things in cool places and watch some amazing animals.

Rich M

WKR
Stop thinking about it, just go hunt cause you want to. Pep talk or smack talk aint gonna do much for you if you don’t really want to go.

Ive gone up to 13 years between kills. The struggle is real! Btw, im deaf.

Just go, enjoy the last couple days, pull the rabbit outta yer hat!

OP
H
Stop thinking about it, just go hunt cause you want to. Pep talk or smack talk aint gonna do much for you if you don’t really want to go.

Ive gone up to 13 years between kills. The struggle is real! Btw, im deaf.

Just go, enjoy the last couple days, pull the rabbit outta yer hat!

Do you hunt in areas with any sizeable predator population? Do you hunt solo?

I found out in September that I've got a fairly rare eye disease that causes blindness. I'm down to 60 degrees of vision between both eyes and have a lot of "junk" in my vision, so that's made it harder. Time will tell if treatments work.

I'm hoping I still get to hunt until my knees don't work. But, my wife and I plan to move to an area in 5 years or so that has a grizz and wolf population, so I'm not sure I'll get to hunt solo anymore w only 60 degrees vision, if it remains that good. Don't have to worry about predators in Utah.

Anyway, I got out today for my last day. Busted my butt through some deep snow for quite a few miles and didn't see anything but moose and deer. But I did find some elk tracks leading me to a promising spot for next year. It was a good time!

Rich M

WKR
Do you hunt in areas with any sizeable predator population? Do you hunt solo?

I found out in September that I've got a fairly rare eye disease that causes blindness. I'm down to 60 degrees of vision between both eyes and have a lot of "junk" in my vision, so that's made it harder. Time will tell if treatments work.

I'm hoping I still get to hunt until my knees don't work. But, my wife and I plan to move to an area in 5 years or so that has a grizz and wolf population, so I'm not sure I'll get to hunt solo anymore w only 60 degrees vision, if it remains that good. Don't have to worry about predators in Utah.

Anyway, I got out today for my last day. Busted my butt through some deep snow for quite a few miles and didn't see anything but moose and deer. But I did find some elk tracks leading me to a promising spot for next year. It was a good time!

You are making it work! And you found a new hunt area w promise.

I know a few folks w macular degeneration who have had great success w treatments. Not sure what you have. Wish you much success there.

Now’s time to reflect and figure out what to do next year while everything is fresh. Write some stuff down so it isnt forgotten.

I mark stuff on google earth and the ring of knowledge expands every year. Sometimes know what i shoulda/woulda/coulda sometimes not. As i get older, spend more time sitting as opposed to putting on the miles. Couple of days at point x often means getting game.

Have a great Christmas. You’ll get one next year.

Yarak

WKR
I really never think about being a success or failure when hunting season is in
Every day is different and my strategies have proven good in past seasons
One strategy that has worked well for me when hunting a particular area consistently is to have several ways in and out
Believe it or not animals will pattern you if you continue to walk the same path to the same spot every time