Self pep talks

If you've had a couple crap years of hunting and you're feeling like you've forgotten how to be a good hunter, what are some strategies you use or what do you tell yourself or remind yourself of to get yourself motivated and confident again?

I've got 1 or maybe 2 days left of my hunting season to arrow an elk in a really tough area. My freezer is empty and I'm feeling like I suck. So I'm trying to figure out how to stay confident, hunt smart this weekend, and do what I can to make it more likely I'll fill tag.

Randle

WKR
Same here Ross. I look back over some of my toughest hunts that produced great results and tell my self I can do that again.

bnsafe

WKR
Hear ya. I use to be awesome. If it was huntable I killed it. But now that I am older I just dont have the drive to see whats over the next hill anymore. I see some of my buddies whacking stuff daily and I dont understand where I lost my mojo. I know how to do it, just dont have the drive to do it.

Rick M.

WKR
I remember having a really shitty time bear hunting in Idaho a couple years back. Up and down for ten miles through some of the steepest terrain I've ever been in. I was so defeated at one point that I remember saying "why the **** am I out here. I could be at home with my wife and son. Why am I doing this to myself. I'm not a hunter".

Turns out I just needed a snack. A couple honey stingers and a Bobo's and I was right back in the game. Felt like a damn Snickers commercial.

Marble

WKR
Evaluate your mistakes, decide what you should have done differently, then do it.

Over find most people who are unsuccessful are either lazy or lack experience. The other reasons are health and other problems in life that are consuming their thoughts, distracting them from hunting.

Get enough time to commit and hunt like you want to have no regrets.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
The later a hunt goes and the closer to the end of a trip, the more excited I get...because if it does happen after all that work, the reward will be so much greater

The last day is the best day

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
If you've had a couple crap years of hunting and you're feeling like you've forgotten how to be a good hunter, what are some strategies you use or what do you tell yourself or remind yourself of to get yourself motivated and confident again?

I've got 1 or maybe 2 days left of my hunting season to arrow an elk in a really tough area. My freezer is empty and I'm feeling like I suck. So I'm trying to figure out how to stay confident, hunt smart this weekend, and do what I can to make it more likely I'll fill tag.
To me, hunting is more than filling a tag. It is the journey and hard work that is the best part for me. My freezer has been empty for two seasons now. I have busted my ass more than most. I have been frozen, wet, and muddy, and I know most would have called it in those moments.

But those were also times when I created strong memories with my best friend. Those were times when it made me appreciate the good things we have in life. None of us are filling our freezers out necessity. We are spending way more than we are getting out of our meat. But its not about that.

Everyone is different and I can't tell you what type of man YOU should be. But I know for myself, I learned a while ago life is too short to put pressure on things like hunting. This world has got you in a pressure cooker in every way. Hunting is my way to escape all the bullshit and appreciate this beautiful world God has made for us.

So if you were to ask me specifically. Maybe you suck, maybe your not a good hunter, maybe you are a great hunter but just have had some unlucky days. MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE. Who the heck knows? But your sure spending a lot of your time worrying about the end result without appreciating the beauty that comes with just enjoying the journey. I would gladly trade places with you, knowing I would come home with an empty freezer. Just to be out in nature enjoying it all, the sounds, the smells, the animals.

Good Luck.

It took me 20 years (multiple weeks each year) of hard hunting (Montana) to kill my first bull elk.

Many thoughts, many emotions, many close calls, and many failed ideas.

In the end, many lessons learned. Learning to enjoy the moment and defining success was huge. But the biggest one was this:

You can quit or you can keep hunting. One way definately won't fill a tag. The other one might. Do you want to fill a tag or not?

Yoder

WKR
I always go to David Goggins book Can't hurt me on audio book. Then my internal dialog sounds something like: "Are you going to quit like a little F'n B##ch??". Then I use his cookie jar concept where I think about all of the truly difficult things I have overcome in my life to put things in perspective. I was ready to quit hunting this year. I thought I missed the biggest buck of my life. After all the hours of scouting, hiking, planning. Time spent on stand to miss with my rifle made me want to quit for the year. I replayed that message in my mind, continued looking and found my buck.

walked around in the colorado mountains for a week in 1-3 feet of snow freezing my ass off this year only to get skunked. My back hurt, my legs and lungs were burning. I was cold, cold. cold. But I am pushing 50 and I have started to appreciate that I won't always be able to do this. Someday, I will take my last walk in the mountains. Until then, it is enough to enjoy the scenery, soak in the solitude and stay in the chase. Keep hunting. Just hoping for a few m ore magic moments before my time is done. Now, I am back home in the east, suiting up for the last couple of days of rifle whitetail season to fill that hole in my freezer that was meant for an elk. For the next hour, I will be under the stars listening to the wind blow and the woods wake up. For a couple more hours, I will sit and wait and hope for that monster buck or at least a nice sized doe to wonder into one of my lanes. Though I will be happy, part of me will be dreaming of next year and that next walk in the cold mountain air. Kills are great. Meat in the freezer. Trophies on the wall. But the real win is just to play the game. For as long and as well as you can, just keep hunting.

kbox

FNG
Got burned out and decided to take a break. Gave up the lease I've had for 25yrs. This is the 2nd season of no hunting, but I'm starting to miss it a little.

4rcgoat

WKR
How you feel makes no difference. What you do is ALL that matters. Decide that you will DO your part, regardless of how you feel.

It's two days. Pep talk for two days of anything should be short. "Do your job, Pussy!" works for me if it comes down to a pep talk. :)
Suck it up buttercup!!

How you feel makes no difference. What you do is ALL that matters. Decide that you will DO your part, regardless of how you feel.

It's two days. Pep talk for two days of anything should be short. "Do your job, Pussy!" works for me if it comes down to a pep talk. :)

I'm pretty simple minded. "Don't be a bitch" works for me.

ewade07

WKR
I was running a streak of like 7 years archery hunting without shooting anything. I started to question why the hell i was still doing it. Then i shot my first elk with my bow this year and i remembered why. Some years are gonna suck, but sooner or later, if you put the work in, things turn around. Already looking forward to next archery season!