Seeking some insight part 1 - Blisters/sore feet

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Just completed my first backpack alpine trip, couple of days up to 7500' covering 10-12km with 2000' of elevation gain from the trailhead.

For over 2 months prior to this trip I've been doing 2-5km 2-3 times per week with the last month carrying 53lbs.

I have worn my hiking/hunting boots the whole time (Meindl ultralight from Cabelas) with good socks and my prescription orthotics. Never once during my conditioning did I develop a blister; in fact I'd say I'm not prone to blisters. By the time I got off the mountain my feet where pretty tender with a smaller deep blister under my big toe. The last hour or so down the hill was pure endurance and no enjoyment.

So what changed?

My insights....
1. I hiked further in one day (2-3 times my avg) then I had with my conditioning, and was dropping elevation most of the time
2. My present orthotics are a new prescription, having a month or two in them and wondering if the extra weight, gravity etc magnified the correction into soreness

Thoughts or Insight?

Very best,

Ian

Beendare

WKR
Maybe integrate some off trail [sidehilling and such] into your conditioning routine......seems like those conditions are what get your feet.

Key with feet is stop when you feel a hotspot and fix it-no exceptions

Stid2677

WKR
Did your training hikes include, up and down hill and hikes over trail like conditions or simply wearing a pack on the road?

Much harder on your feet when going up, down or side hill.

Did the discomfort mostly come from the decent? I have never had a blister in my Lowas however, If I get hot spots it is always on days with long decents.

muleman

WKR
A lot of things could be going on.

Moist feet (softened)from extended wear?

When I've gotten blisters on the bottom of my big toes it was because I was digging in my toes in loose fitting or boots that were not stiff soled enough for the terrain.

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the quick help....

Yes descent much worse then going up, my field oberservation coming down with sore feet, trails where made by those going up, not down!

Conditioning mostly road, some gravelled trail, very little like the hills, my usual hike has 200m of elevation of over a 4km circuit.

All my hotspots were treated with little change.

Still need to see the foot doc on my orthotics...

Oh and I'm 45 trying to live better then I have been..

Very best,

Ian

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Oh you mean speak American.....

Well, of course........eh.

As already pointed out.......you absolutely cannot expect flat land training to get your feet in shape for alpine hunting. The steeps, side-hilling, and rocks alone will kill your feet if you haven't prepared them for that. Add in the "all day" hiking and extra moisture from sweating and that will definitely lead to foot issues. I always wear a liner sock to wick the moisture away from my foot and into my cushioning merino sock to help with that. Also, take your boots off every now and then and tighten up your socks as well. If they bunch up at all, even a little tiny crease under your foot.......you'll feel it. And lastly......as Beendare said, fix the problem as soon as you feel a hotspot. Duct tape, leukotape, moleskin........whatever will work at that point.

gelton

WKR
Well, of course........eh.

As already pointed out.......you absolutely cannot expect flat land training to get your feet in shape for alpine hunting. The steeps, side-hilling, and rocks alone will kill your feet if you haven't prepared them for that. Add in the "all day" hiking and extra moisture from sweating and that will definitely lead to foot issues. I always wear a liner sock to wick the moisture away from my foot and into my cushioning merino sock to help with that. Also, take your boots off every now and then and tighten up your socks as well. If they bunch up at all, even a little tiny crease under your foot.......you'll feel it. And lastly......as Beendare said, fix the problem as soon as you feel a hotspot. Duct tape, leukotape, moleskin........whatever will work at that point.

This is true. I used the same boots this year that I do here at home that have well over 50 miles in them on inclines and declines and I got blisters. I attribute it to the boots getting wet everyday and eventually soaked which stretches them out. I had a ton of shoelace leftover after tying my boots that I never have here. I took forgranted everyone raving how well leukotape works so I never added it to my pack. Now I wont leave home again without it. This was on day two, but with a little ducttape and fortitude I made it through my 8 day trip.

i know of no way to toughen feet up other than backpacking. i scout alot. and backpack alot of the summer. it helps. but they still are never quite ready for a hunt. i find very few ways to replicate the steep ups, downs, and sidehilling as well as the long days and huge mileage. couple that with all the sweat making them soft, and theyre hurting.

things you can do to help your feet. keep them dry. not just water, but sweat. air them out. take your socks off. insoles out. maybe even a few times a day if you have to. sleep in dry socks. try a liner sock possibly. i like them, some dont. tape up hot spots with leukotape before the become an issue.

Whisky

WKR
Leukotape is a wonderful thing!! After tearing my feet up on a mulie hunt with wet feet (duct tape and moleskin worthless) I took precautions on my elk hunt and taped with Leukotape before the hunt. 10 days later I removed it. Amazing shit!!

Switching socks once a day is a great thing.....I have also recently learned Darn Tough sucks worth every penny and some.

Just last night I was picking huge chunks dead skin off the bottom of my feet. Hated to lose that protection as the new skin feels like a baby's ass. Time for more hunting I guess.

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like do the best I can to train, but accept the fact you can't truly replicate the conditions unless you replicate the conditions AND THE TIME

On a related note, KT tape is not kensio tex nor leukotape, works ok but doesn't have the stick....

Appreciate all the responses

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Little update which may serve as some advice.....

Visited the foot doctor and had my orthotics adjusted, so they where definitely a contributor to the problem. Future suggestions would be do a trial run in country similar to the hunt to test that everything with enough time for corrections. Almost 2 weeks post hunt and still have tender feet...