2023 Crispi Briksdal MTN GTX Review

I was able to get my hands on a pair of the new Briksdal MTN GTX from Crispi February of 2022 for product testing. First initial impressions on the boots just from the ergonomics were they look fantastic, feel very light, and very quality built. When I tried them on they immediately felt great which was probably due to the Asymmetrical lacing system and the Crispi EFX midsole.

From the day I got them I was still a little bit skeptical because I was so used to wearing all leather models for extreme durability and was worried that all synthetic microfiber material wouldn’t hold up nearly as well. Before I took them out and hiked around I swapped the factory Crispi insole for the Sole Active Medium insole that is heat moldable to the exact shape of your foot.

My first trip with the boots were right out of the box without anytime breaking them in on a shed hunt in the Utah desert where I hiked 30.4 miles in a three day time span. I was blown away by the comfort right out of the box and didn’t have a single blister or any foot fatigue whatsoever. I proceeded to wear the boot for the rest of the year basically every weekend shed hunting, scouting, and then hunting.

After wearing the boots for just over 530 miles in just about every terrain you can think of from the flat rolling hills of Wyoming to chasing elk at 12,000 feet of elevation and everything in between I am very impressed with this boot. It feels very light on your feet, has held up extremely well, it breathes significantly better than any comparable mountain boot I have ever owned, it is 100% waterproof and probably the best fitting most comfortable and supportive boot I’ve ever slipped my foot into. The only thing I wouldn’t recommend this boot for is anyone hunting in cold temperatures and snow just because it breathes so well you can feel the snow through the boots and you end up with cold feet at least for me it did. I would highly recommend this boot to anyone looking for a do it all early-mid season boot.

*Photos of the boots below are at about 514 miles after just cleaning and conditioning*IMG_3800.jpg
IMG_4531.jpg

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent review. Only thing I strongly disagree with is the sole insoles. I heat molded mine twice. And wore them every single day to work, the gym, and woods to "mold" them. And they never changed their shape whatsoever. I have a medium - high arch and with them I feel like I'm standing on rebar. Hated them! They did refund me 100% tho so great customer service

uncastan

FNG
Be curious to see how these hold up after another 500 miles. Thanks for the review!

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
How is the sizing? What other crispis would you compare them to, guide?

OP
U
How is the sizing? What other crispis would you compare them to, guide?
I'm an 11.5 in all my running shoes and sneakers and I was an 11.5 in this boot as well. The flex rating is going to be like a guide but the fit is going to be a little more versatile fit because of that lace to toe feature.

brockel

WKR
I just got a pair of these and these are the best feeling hunting boots I’ve ever had on my feet. Right from the start they felt broke in.

gostovp

WKR
I just picked up a pair of these at Scheels. They are very comfortable for me. I have a normal width foot, low to regular volume, narrow heel. I measure 11 on the Brannock for length, but measure almost 11.5 in arch length on the Brannock. All my running/athletic shoes are 11.5, so I usually get into an 11.5, and that’s what I went with in these and the fit is spot on. I’m a little weirded out that they aren’t leather… but I suppose microfiber synthetic furniture has been around forever and is known for its durability….

I've been eyeballing these but am a little wary of the synthetic models after my almost new Altitudes leaked water like they were made of cheesecloth. They were super comfortable and I was a huge fan until I got into some rain and dewy meadows. I just sent them back to be inspected, and will likely be upgrading to a different model of Crispi's.

gostovp

WKR
I get the concern over synthetic boots, especially nylon panel areas. The Gore-Tex bootie has got to be sewn correctly or there will be problems. A leather boot can be treated with some kind of wax to help with waterproofing… but that comes with its own set of issues, because once wetted out they can take forever to dry, and then they don’t breath at all. The use of synthetic microfiber in this boot is really interesting, as the more reading I’ve done, it sounds like some of these new synthetic leathers are actually as durable as real leather, they breath better, require way less break in, and dry faster, and don’t shrink and stretch nearly as much… I’m actually surprised more manufacturers aren’t starting to use them.

No water leaks in your travels? What do you treat with? Sounds like these boots are moderately stiff?

My colorados I bought off here basically new in box leaked like a sieve first week out. It was very wet though. Very comfortable boot though for everyday wear.

gostovp

WKR
I also have a pair of Summits that have been dry, but i treat them frequently with the Crispi spray waterproofing
I haven’t really tested these Briksdahls yet for waterproofing … planning to soon.

I'm all for synthetics, but my experience with the Altitudes has made me a bit wary. To be fair, every GoreTex boot I've owned has failed eventually and I accept that it will happen, just wasn't expecting a brand new pair of boots to leak immediately.

I bought a pair of these off of Black Ovis today (as a heads up, they're on sale). Wondering how I'll like a Flex 3 after using a Flex 4 (Colorado) for the past two years. The Zamberlans I got this winter (1104) to replace my Colorados ended up being way too flexible and run hot.

The Colorado was (is) a great boot, just never fit my low volume and narrow foot the best.

gostovp

WKR
I bought a pair of these off of Black Ovis today (as a heads up, they're on sale). Wondering how I'll like a Flex 3 after using a Flex 4 (Colorado) for the past two years. The Zamberlans I got this winter (1104) to replace my Colorados ended up being way too flexible and run hot.

The Colorado was (is) a great boot, just never fit my low volume and narrow foot the best.
Those Zamberlans look to be on sale for a good price too but I can see how they might run hot.

I will be going on my first Wyoming antelope hunt in October. We will be in the eastern side of the state. Our guide says there are definitely cactus to deal with. Since these are partial synthetic material I’m guessing they would not be the best choice for this hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro