Seek Outside Wingspan Pockets (UPDATED 11/13/2022) Modularity With Goshawk/Merlin Testing and Review

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thats the kind of organization I was imagining. Putting camp in a pocket/two pockets and being able to drop the weight off entirely once you get where you're going... or, emptying those pockets, and now you have an easy to access food pocket and another pocket for whatever.

The bag explosion at camp no matter how well you pack and organize is annoying at best. It would be nice to be able to avoid that altogether - or reduce it as much as possible.

If I did this right, I could also drop my bag altogether for day hunts and be left with a 2400ci "day pack" consisting of two wings that weighs a little over 3lbs with the SG frame.
For sure. I thought about using it as a food and kitchen bag to hang in a tree since it is waterproof, that would make organizing easy. I could see it as a puffy and warm stuff bag that you could leave at camp if you came back for lunch after glassing all morning, and still know your stuff is where it needs to be for the next day rather than reorganizing.

For sure. I thought about using it as a food and kitchen bag to hang in a tree since it is waterproof, that would make organizing easy. I could see it as a puffy and warm stuff bag that you could leave at camp if you came back for lunch after glassing all morning, and still know your stuff is where it needs to be for the next day rather than reorganizing.
When/if you get a chance, would you mind measuring the distance between the sewn in gatekeepers? I'm just trying to see how "ambitious" this project might be. It'd be nice to have an idea of how much will be involved before I pull the trigger and order.

Thank you!

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
When/if you get a chance, would you mind measuring the distance between the sewn in gatekeepers? I'm just trying to see how "ambitious" this project might be. It'd be nice to have an idea of how much will be involved before I pull the trigger and order.

Thank you!
Top is on the right.
6" from top loop to mid
5" from mid to bottom

Top of pocket to top loop is 5.5"
Bottom of pocket to bottom loop is 7.5"

PXL_20220830_183217970.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
@KickinNDishin got a Flight pack, I think I am going to get one for summer scouting because it is rad, and I wanted to see how the Wingspan Pockets would fit.
PXL_20221016_134936452.jpgPXL_20221016_135018695.jpgPXL_20221016_135039337.jpg

This is on the 23" version and while all three gatekeepers CAN connect, I would leave the bottom one off. @Kevin_t @RockChucker30 are the loops for the 25" flight in the same locations/spacing?

sdirks3

FNG
Wingspans on a flight would be awesome! Was debating that or the gila for a day pack but was worried about space in the shoulder seasons, but if I could have ultralight most of the year and toss on a wingspan when needed....

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Wingspans on a flight would be awesome! Was debating that or the gila for a day pack but was worried about space in the shoulder seasons, but if I could have ultralight most of the year and toss on a wingspan when needed....
I would get the Gila. I think the Flight is rad, but we also have more than one backpack. The pan with the flight for @KickinNDishin is to hunt with it and pack out one elk front or take on my day gear while I pack meat. Once back at the truck, she can grab her Revolution frame and we can finish moving meat if need be. If I had ONE SINGLE pack, I think packing more meat than the above would warrant the external Revolution frame or the internal Evolution support of more substantial suspension.

sdirks3

FNG
I would get the Gila. I think the Flight is rad, but we also have more than one backpack. The pan with the flight for @KickinNDishin is to hunt with it and pack out one elk front or take on my day gear while I pack meat. Once back at the truck, she can grab her Revolution frame and we can finish moving meat if need be. If I had ONE SINGLE pack, I think packing more meat than the above would warrant the external Revolution frame or the internal Evolution support of more substantial suspension.
Was thinking Flight vs Gila as a secondary pack for backpacking to complement the Goshawk for hunting/trips that need the breakaway - thoughts on that situation?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Was thinking Flight vs Gila as a secondary pack for backpacking to complement the Goshawk for hunting/trips that need the breakaway - thoughts on that situation?
Yeah, then I'd do the flight.

To add to the review (I guess I am out of photos in the first post) this Seek Outside modularity is still rocking.
I finally had a tag and with temperature in the low teens until midday, I kept my hiking boots in the Goshawk and wore my pac boots for morning glassing. With needing a heavy puffy jacket and pants the extra space the Wingspans offered was perfect.
The modularity shined when I shot a buck. My wife, @KickinNDishin , was able to take on the Wingspans with some day gear and my pac boots in her Seek pack, and that allowed me to take all the meat. One trip pack outs are nice.
29380.jpeg

Speaking to the Revolution frame, about 16 hours later I packed out all the meat of a buck for another friend as well (I won't carry other hunter's heads).
PXL_20221030_201353390~2.jpg

I am terrible at elk, but will do my darnedest to try and give a cow a ride.

As a sidenote, the Creative Outdoors rifle sling works well.

Last edited:
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I am out of tags now.

Some folks asked how the Revolution frame handles weight. This last hunt I packed two elk fronts, a rear, a sack of scrap meat, and some day gear. @Jsusic 's rifle sling works as advertised.

@KickinNDishin has taken a liking to the Wingspan and Merlin combo. When I am the hunter, I will regularly ask her to trek back to the truck and drive it out and around "to the other side" so I can hunt through. The modularity of the Wingspans has paid off by keeping us organized. Pre-dawn puffys and layers can be kept in one Wingspan, and then off loaded at the truck midday easily rather than digging through a pack.

She ended up using one Wingspan (which itself was loaded with cutoff meat) to lash down an elk rear, and then the Merlin (loaded with back straps in the main, snacks and toiletries in the other two pockets) to secure further secure. I'd wanted to try the two Wingspans together to pack meat, but either one of us forgot to speak that want or one of us forgot they heard it...

I did take the lumbar pad off for my two rifle hunts. I think it is a better fit for me under 40-50 lbs load or so. I do think it above that it has some benefit for helping suboptimal pack placement or fit. I have gotten so familiar with this pack that it is simple to move around or adjust the straps once I get it on my back with a big load.

received_1175861783355547.jpegreceived_3285870225003620.jpegreceived_512305114130907.jpegPXL_20221112_214319777.jpgPXL_20221112_214853406.jpgPXL_20221112_215613864.jpg