Seek Outside Large Stove sparks burning tent!

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Bought the seek outside large stove, and wondering if you guys have modified anything to avoid sparks burning tent? I have the most recent model. So the damper has a built in spark arrestor, and I have the Dynamo Cimarron tent, and have probably three holes in it now from Sparks escaping through the damper. When it's dark outside, if you get a fire going, you can see the sparks flying off the top. Curious if you guys have modified anything yo avoid this? I kind of want to call seek outside to complain, seems like a poor design. Also, have you guys discovered any good way to keep smoke out of the tent? Stove really doesnt do a great job of that. Maybe there's a better stove on the market I don't know about!

*zap*

WKR
Burn better wood and add another spark arrestor at the top of the pipe. Also use a long enough pipe. I use a medium and have no issues with smoke in shelters.

*zap*

WKR
I would think if your getting smoke and sparks the wood may be green. Just a suggestion, good luck. I know that I used a 7' pipe for a Cimarron and the new dogtag damper/arrestor at the stove and I put the old style arrestor at the top of the pipe.

Johnboy

WKR
I have a TiGoat WIFI with the spark arrestor at the end of the pipe. It's given me no issues, even when burning lousy Brooks Range firewood. I would add a second arrestor to the top end of pipe and see if that makes a difference.

If the sparks are coming from the end of the pipe, get a longer pipe. If they are coming out inside the tent at the top of the stove, send the stove back for replacement. Or, use bubble gum while burning it.

Longer stove pipe would be where I would start. I’d call seek and see what tips they can give you on the smoke, aside from the others stated above.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Another cause of smoke in the tent is a clogged spark arrestor. Green wood will clog up a spark arrestor faster than dry wood.

I’m not familiar with the built in spark arrestor you have, but I’d clean it daily if burning green wood.

cnelk

WKR
The stove pipe needs to be good and hot to create a good draft.

I’d say add more pipe and burn more small kindling before adding larger pieces of wood

croben

Lil-Rokslider
What size stove pipe are you running in it? Seek Outside recommends 6.5-7 feet, but you might need a bigger one.

Marble

WKR
Adding a second arrester and a longer pipe usually works. I've also seen people out an arrested or some type of screen on the end too.

When i had my pipe built I had an extra few feet added.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Did you all know that if you drill holes in the last 8" of your pipe (perforate) it will allow more O2 into the pipe and help burn any embers coming up the pipe. Try it. Since doing it to my stove pipe I have yet to see any sparks come out of the pipe.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The stove pipe needs to be good and hot to create a good draft.

I’d say add more pipe and burn more small kindling before adding larger pieces of wood

This right here, get it real hot with kindling before adding larger wood. I use a 7 ft pipe out of a liteoutdoors 18” cylinder stove never any issues with sparks on the tent. I’ve compared my stove to the box seek ones, everyone likes mine better.

fishslap

WKR
Another cause of smoke in the tent is a clogged spark arrestor. Green wood will clog up a spark arrestor faster than dry wood.

I’m not familiar with the built in spark arrestor you have, but I’d clean it daily if burning green wood.
Good advice. For this reason I’d recommend not adding a second spark arrestor as others have mentioned. I’d used the SO one that you can spin around and clean periodically. That’s what I use. To get rid of the excessive sparks I’d follow the rest of the advice in this thread.

*zap*

WKR
it is simple to clean a spark arrestor at the top of the pipe often enough to keep it functioning well, especially if you have one at the stove outlet also. Just do it when you dump ashes..

Last edited:
I put a baffle in my box medium stove. It’s a pain admittedly to setup and requires 10 more minutes but it sure works well. No sparks come out and you get a complete burn.

I like a long pipe. I use a 9 footer for my 8 man seek outside on top of a stove that sits 18 inches high already.