Seek Outside Kenai 5400 Pack Review ***updated 12/25/22***

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This spring has been extremely busy with gear tests in what has been an extremely wet season. It has been perfect conditions to test the new Seek Outside Kenai 5400 pack built with the new UltraPE 400 fabric. It's a fabric that touts waterproofness, an incredibly high abrasion resistance, and high tear strength. So far it's been on several trips, multiple pack outs, and a few midnight brush thrashings where more damage occurred to me than the pack. I'll continue to put more miles on the pack and report back with my thoughts in a written review.

**Update 12/25/22** Seek Outside Kenai 5400 Pack Review

P1000306small.JPG
P1000295small.JPG
P1000294small.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bighorse

WKR
I'd like to see the connection points where the belt attaches to the frame please. I personally like the functionality of the large open pockets paired with the enclosure style main pockets. A backpack while hunting is a tool that gets deployed frequently and I like to modulate what items I want to quickly access vs store. Looks like there's three main exterior loose pockets, perfect. My only issue is that they fill with leaves and twigs but that's minor stuff easily emptied. How does the roll top close on the main bag too? Anyhow...enjoy the testing

bozeman

WKR
Have they changed the belt/lumbar pad in the new styles? SO has one of the most comfortable packs I have ever used, but the belt/lumbar pad slippage finally got to me. Looks like a NICE pack!! Looking forward to hearing reviews.

Looking forward to it! I’m gonna sell my brooks pack bag which I’ve been using for several years and pick up this. Seems like the perfect hunting pack.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have they changed the belt/lumbar pad in the new styles? SO has one of the most comfortable packs I have ever used, but the belt/lumbar pad slippage finally got to me. Looks like a NICE pack!! Looking forward to hearing reviews.

The belt and lumbar area have not changed. Although the buckle and straps are different than the ones on the Lanner. They attach to the waist belt with gatekeepers and have a single buckle.
fb72ecb0c25b256616aa212cc14d7c21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jltroberg

FNG
I run the Kifaru pack, older Duplex Frame, Reckoning and now Stryker XL. I like them, but always have wished for lighter and waterproofing without adding the rain cover. Looking forward to the review, I also wonder if it's possible to strap a SO pack onto my Kifaru frame? Thank you

Hey @Josh Boyd really looking forward to this review!

Is any way for you to acquire a SO wingspan pocket to attach to this bag and determine if there are any advantages to owning it?

I think most important question to answer is how does it carry weight at 100lb+ in direct comparison to other frames like EXO's, Stone Glaciers and Kifaru's as that will be one of the biggest deciding factors for us hunters. It may haul it well but if other frames haul it better or worse, that would be really useful to find out from your review.

Lastly, can you let us know if the tall side pocket and short side pocket are functional (can pull stuff in and out) while the bag is fully compressed for sleek day hunting?

I have really been wondering if the short side pocket is in reachable distance while hiking to grab and put back a nalgene or if you really need a bottle holster on your belt for that.

Thanks again!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is any way for you to acquire a SO wingspan pocket to attach to this bag and determine if there are any advantages to owning it?

I think most important question to answer is how does it carry weight at 100lb+ in direct comparison to other frames like EXO's, Stone Glaciers and Kifaru's as that will be one of the biggest deciding factors for us hunters. It may haul it well but if other frames haul it better or worse, that would be really useful to find out from your review.

Lastly, can you let us know if the tall side pocket and short side pocket are functional (can pull stuff in and out) while the bag is fully compressed for sleek day hunting?

I have really been wondering if the short side pocket is in reachable distance while hiking to grab and put back a nalgene or if you really need a bottle holster on your belt for that.

Thanks again!
The side pockets are very functional. I've not had any issues pulling a Nalgene out or replacing it while on the move.

HNTR918

WKR

Thanks again!

I don't know how "comfortable" 100+ lbs is supposed to be.
I did carry out half of a boned out elk and weighed the pack at 119 lbs when we got back to the truck.
I was definitely the weak point of the combo, not the pack.

hey @Josh Boyd just curious if you had any further opinions and how the review was coming along? have you had ant opportunity for heavier weight testing?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey @Josh Boyd just curious if you had any further opinions and how the review was coming along? have you had ant opportunity for heavier weight testing?
The review is coming along and I've been using the pack almost exclusively since the spring. I can honestly say the pack carries heavy loads quite comfortably; Elk quarters with the bone-in, easily fit the internal load sling with room to spare. I've been hunting like crazy all fall and am trying to write reviews in the small gaps of time between hunts....but this one is coming soon.

The review is coming along and I've been using the pack almost exclusively since the spring. I can honestly say the pack carries heavy loads quite comfortably; Elk quarters with the bone-in, easily fit the internal load sling with room to spare. I've been hunting like crazy all fall and am trying to write reviews in the small gaps of time between hunts....but this one is coming soon.
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to the final review

sdirks3

FNG
Super interested to see the full review! Especially your thoughts on the integrated face pockets vs the modular talon system

@Josh Boyd Would it be possible for you to test the waterproofness of the backpack? Ultra is supposed to be as waterproof as possible but under real world conditions of hiking in heavy rain, I would like to know if any/how much water enter the bag. Is this within the realm of this review?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Josh Boyd Would it be possible for you to test the waterproofness of the backpack? Ultra is supposed to be as waterproof as possible but under real world conditions of hiking in heavy rain, I would like to know if any/how much water enter the bag. Is this within the realm of this review?

It has been tested extensively in heavy rain and wet brush this fall and I’ll certainly cover it in the review. The fabric used in this pack is extremely water proof but the seams are not. Stay tuned to see how water resistant this bag is and how you can ensure your gear stays dry inside…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk