Seek outside Cimmaron

No I did not, they will be coming. I can't fake it, I went on a trip, and carried the Cimarron but it was so pleasant I slept under the skies with a little campfire and had a great time

No worries, thanks for trying! IF you do have the opportunity sometime to get some photos with the stove setup sometime I'd love to see. One other question - do you ever think you'll have a full 4 person nest for this? That would be a good setup for family camping.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know it will be happening this weekend as I'm loaning it to someone else LOL I suspect a 4 P nest is likely

7mag.

WKR
My hunting partner is supposed to order one any day. He better get on it, our first scouting trip is in five weeks. Should be a considerable upgrade from my SL3.

Got to play around with the Cimarron today with a stove. Much thanks to Luke with Seek Outside and Kevin. The production line was much more refine then the demo. Very simple and fast to set up. Simply stake out a square, raise center (no off set needed), finish stakes, done. Huge space inside will fit 4 large guys shoulder to shoulder without a stove. We set up a medium stove inside with three people laying down with elbow room (luke 6'2", me 5' 11", wife 5'6"). You could fit a Large or XL stove with three with no issues, or 2 with lots of room for gear/wood.

Here are a couple pics to help you see what I'm talking about.
Luke putting in the last stakes.

wife is 5'6"

Wife and luke being great sports for my photos

quality work and a nice vent

Jake

colonel00

WKR
Is the vent close-able? One thing I noticed with my SL-5 and a stove is the heat just seems to go right out the vent(s).

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My measurements are 5'8 inches when doing the stake it out square method which is drop dead simple. 5'11 when doing a small setback. These are staked to the ground no exterior tensioning. I suspect you can add 2 -4 inches with tension and still be reasonably tight to the ground.

5'8 - 5'10 , is really as tall as we think is suitable with decent trekking poles.

Take-a-knee

Banned
5'8 - 5'10 , is really as tall as we think is suitable with decent trekking poles.

You'd need a pole jack with one pole right? Most are only 55in max. It is good to know it can be staked square. I wondered why you didn't just make it square like a traditional mid, Nest maybe?

With the demise of Golite and the SL5, I predict this will be a big seller. I tipi should be more storm-worthy in theory but for a shelter this small I don't think it really makes much difference. A LOT of mids have been left for protracted periods at altitude on Denali with no problem, as long as they were set up properly.

balto68

FNG
3 oz is what I heard as well. I wonder if the lead times are longer than the usual 3-4 weeks with this one, considering the popularity. When you order from SO, do they give you a time estimate?

Beastmode

WKR
3 oz is what I heard as well. I wonder if the lead times are longer than the usual 3-4 weeks with this one, considering the popularity. When you order from SO, do they give you a time estimate?
If you order over the phone Angie is very helpful and will give you a fairly accurate lead time.

I'm curious how the Cimarron compares to the 4-man tipi in the sense of useable space?

I see the footprint sq-ft numbers on the website, but how do they compare in the real world when you are inside them?

Also ,at 6'3", standing up in the Cimarron is a clear no-go, but what about the 4-man tipi? The tipi is 6'10" but I'm guessing due to the tipi geometry I probably wolgn't be able to stand in it without my head touching the fabric.....unless I dug a hole.....grin.

Thanks, Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

How long is the sod skirt? I haven't seen a picture that show the sod skirt very well. How much does it cost to have a stove jack added to the Cimarron? I stuck trying to decide between the Cimarron or the Luna 5. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike7

WKR
This seems like an interesting shelter.

I don't have any experience with sod skirts so I am not really sure how valuable they are...and for where I live, I am not sure there is a good purpose for one?? We have a lot of cold humid weather or warm weather, but not a lot of really frigid or extremely windy weather. I find a tipi here for most of the year doesn't allow enough ventilation, but a pyramid can be raised as conditions dictate, with the windward side being dropped to the ground.

I guess my question is, are the two doors necessary for ventilation during the warmer months and to some extent during the winter when the stove is not going, since this shelter has a sod skirt? But then on the other hand, the sod skirt can come in handy when using the stove during cold windy weather when there is no snow on the ground to help block wind around the edges?

Can you specify where the stove jack goes? I'd like to run a 2 man nest with the stove.