Seek outside Cimmaron

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Bearpaw Luna 4 is 9" by 9" and weighs 29 oz. I'm reading up on the Cimarron stats, and I guess it's a little big bigger with the unique shape. The Luna 6, which is 10" by 10", is 36 oz. Is that size a better comparison? If so, then I take back the ouch comment.

Well 94 sq ft of the Cimarron to the 81 sq ft of the Luna 4 is a bigger chance. The Luna 5 is roughly 100 sq ft, but only 2 door and I have found bearpaw to fudge most of their numbers by an oz or two when their products hit my scale. Not a huge deal, that said I had the original backcountry shelter from Seek Outside and it was spot on when I weighed it compared to their claimed weight.

I can give up 6 sq ft for a 2nd door that enables more pitching options plus a more wind worth profile to a standard pyarmid style like the Luna or SL-5 that I like so much for the same weight as the Luna 6 and save $5 bones in the process.

I do love it when we get to the point where we have a 7 oz difference between shelters and the word "ouch" comes out. :)

Clarktar

WKR
I was thinking of selling mine to fund a sawtooth..... But maybe a cimmaron?

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is killing me! I debated whether to get the Cimarron.

I just ordered the LBO with 3pc vestibule, nest and stove jack. Not sure I'll be in a rush to use the nest but should be useful for trips with the family or in buggy country.

I do plan to add the Cimarron to the shelter fleet in the future.

Of course I also want the 6 or 8 person tipi while I am at it.

I wanted the LBO for the solo options. Starting small and working my way up. Obviously will be great for two guys as well. And being able to split the weight is nice.

May never make it to the 6 or 8 person tipi.

Just not sure I see the time when I'll need the tipi. I'd have to really work on my social skills if I expect 2 or 3 guys to hunt with me each year. I may have already hit my ceiling in that regards. ;-)

I am sure the Cimarron will be all I need for a 2 person hunt where we want to stand and have a bit more space. Advantage of being 5'8".

But as Luke as pointed out...when you start talking about the quality of shelters with amount of square footage size with weight differences measured in ounces it seems to be an amazing problem to have.

Compliment to the companies pushing this envelope for all of us!

Luke, been researching a floorless setup for a bit now. I'm down to this or the Sawtooth. Really like the sawtooth but it's double the cost. I visited Seek Outside office in GJ today and was very impressed with the help. We set up the 8 man tipi and Cimarron (demo) in the park. Very cool set ups. Only draw back I had with the cimarron was it was crowded standing up (5'11"), granted I was told the demo was a bit smaller then the final. What if any issues have you had with the sawtooth?

Kevin, how much taller or wider is the final Cimarron compared to the demo in the office?

Thanks
Jake

OP
G

geriggs

I'm in the same boat. ^^^^^^^^. Having a hard time deciding

OP
G

geriggs

If u include pole and stove jack.... Cimmaron def not half the cost. Sawtooth is about 250 more. Still significant. U could add a stove with that 250 or a nest.

Geriggs....copy, didn't notice that. The cost savings was pretty heavy before the adds but SO is still roughly $310 less.

Cimarron $350, stove jack installed $55, carbon pole $85, local pickup = $490 (94sqft) 2 lb 4 oz, plus 11 oz pole, plus stove jack and stakes

Sawtooth package $797 plus shipping (134sqft) 4 lb 8 oz everything

Like the two doors of the Cimarron and getting a stove with the savings. But, the sawtooth has more standing space and looks bomber. Win win with either I think. Any other words for thought?

Jake

I was gonna get the cimmaron as they are basically the same price, and the guy from Seek Outside said they were awesome ..... But shipments of them won't go out until mid to late May (as of last week) so I sadly hung my head and kept their LBO that I already have. They are super roomy tho

Clarktar

WKR
I guess I can wait until I check out a Sawtooth in person. Luke, are you bringing your Sawtooth on that packraft trip this June?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was gonna get the cimmaron as they are basically the same price, and the guy from Seek Outside said they were awesome ..... But shipments of them won't go out until mid to late May (as of last week) so I sadly hung my head and kept their LBO that I already have. They are super roomy tho

The first production run is shipping this week. I expect the second production run to ship in 3 weeks, so near the end of April

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, been researching a floorless setup for a bit now. I'm down to this or the Sawtooth. Really like the sawtooth but it's double the cost. I visited Seek Outside office in GJ today and was very impressed with the help. We set up the 8 man tipi and Cimarron (demo) in the park. Very cool set ups. Only draw back I had with the cimarron was it was crowded standing up (5'11"), granted I was told the demo was a bit smaller then the final. What if any issues have you had with the sawtooth?

Kevin, how much taller or wider is the final Cimarron compared to the demo in the office?

Thanks
Jake

Jake,

I have never used or even seen a Cimmaron in person so take this all with a grain of salt. ;)

If I could only have one shelter to do it all from lightweight 100+ mile thru hikes here in Alaska to handle November storms on Kodiak and such it would no doubt be the Sawtooth. Its light enough at right at 3 pounds (just for the shelter including the stove jack and stuffing into its own pocket) that it'll work well for 2-3 people even with a stove. Stakes and a pole certainly add weight but much of the time for my longer distance 5-10 day thru hikes I would leave the designated pole at home and just use a trekking pole like I had with my SL-5.

For hunts on Kodiak and such the center pole would no doubt be going.

That said I am in a position to get both and the Cimmaron should be around 3/4 a pound lighter if I don't get the stove jack which I plan on not getting as I want to keep it as light as possible.

Adding a stove jack if you are getting one certainly should drive the weight of the Cimmaron up closer to the 40 oz mark for the fly itself which is now within a 1/2 pound of the Sawtooth and certainly blurs the lines of what to get ;)

I had my Sl-5 in some pretty nasty winds over the last 5 years and I have no reason to believe the Cimmaron wouldn't do even better. So for a do it all shelter it really comes down to how much you want to spend given what you do. The Cimmaron certainly will handle all MOST people will needs at a better price point. But the Sawtooth will handle extreme winds likely better, as it should though given its added weight and cost.

Don't think you'd be disapointed with either and again I am basing my thought on the Cimmaron off my experiences with the SL-5 and assuming it will do atleast as well as that if not better. Hope that helps.

AXEL

WKR
I would choose the Cimarron, it meets all of my needs, except I hope that SO will offer mossy netting as an additional cost option. I like the simplicity, the size works for my current needs/abilities and I won't spend more $$$$ than I must, no point in doing so.

I want a camp with a Cimarron, Ti stove, propane heater and stove/lantern and my Hille Saivo as my "bedroom". I have most of this gear, some old and perhaps not "kewl". but, it still works as I barely do, and this will do me in whatever BC wilderness situations I will take on now.

Mossy netting, puleeze!!!! :) :) :)

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No I did not, they will be coming. I can't fake it, I went on a trip, and carried the Cimarron but it was so pleasant I slept under the skies with a little campfire and had a great time

charvey9

WKR
For what its worth, I ordered the Cimarron with jack as kind of my do it all 2+ person do it all shelter. Hopefully it ships out in the first run, cause I would love to try it out this spring.

I did pick up a dedicated 4 section carbon pole for Ruta Locura with adjuster. Adjusts from 66-74", and should come in at roughly 6oz. Roughly $20 more with shipping, but half the weight.

Fingers crossed this solves one of my shelter dilemma's.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Got the email, my cimarron shipped out today....STOKED. I also spoke to Josh at Rota Locura today and will be picking up a CF pole to go with it. Kind of nice have both TI Goat and Rota Locura in my home town. The 16" cylinder stove from Ti Goat is what I am going to pair with the Cimarron.

muleman

WKR
Got the email, my cimarron shipped out today....STOKED. I also spoke to Josh at Rota Locura today and will be picking up a CF pole to go with it. Kind of nice have both TI Goat and Rota Locura in my home town. The 16" cylinder stove from Ti Goat is what I am going to pair with the Cimarron.

I'd love to come see your Cimarron some time.