Seek out side 8 man Tipi with wood stove?

HI all.
Plan on trying haul road hunt for the first time this year. Anyone ever use SO 8 man Tipi with stove up there?
I know I’ll have to haul wood up but I think it would be well worth it.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah it's got a huge footprint but great for up to 4 guys max. My huntin buddy likes to bring that 8-man for just two of us and it drives me nuts. He's over 6' and "wants to stand straight up with no hunchin' over (typical surgeon). I prefer the 6-man Seek Outside "RC" to the Kifaru, but we own both brands.

The stove is not worth it until late August/early sept. IMO. You'd be better off with a propane buddy heater for quick bursts of manageable heat ups. But that's just my 2 cents. You'd need a lot of small wood for a week's stay, or 4-6 cans of propane

OP
J
yeah it's got a huge footprint but great for up to 4 guys max. My huntin buddy likes to bring that 8-man for just two of us and it drives me nuts. He's over 6' and "wants to stand straight up with no hunchin' over (typical surgeon). I prefer the 6-man Seek Outside "RC" to the Kifaru, but we own both brands.

The stove is not worth it until late August/early sept. IMO. You'd be better off with a propane buddy heater for quick bursts of manageable heat ups. But that's just my 2 cents. You'd need a lot of small wood for a week's stay, or 4-6 cans of propane

Theres going to be 3 of us and planning on using it as a base camp near the road. Will be there the first 2 weeks in September so some sort of heat would be nice.
Propane would definitely be time saver . Ever use a 20# Propane tank and a heater that mounts on top in the SO?
Thanks Larry

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm always remote so the 20# propane doesn't work for our style. It'll work I'm sure. Just be careful with adequate ventilation inside the tent. One hour burn time, fresh air inlet for a minute or two. People die every year to carbon monoxide poisoning.

OP
J
The 8 is nice for room you can pitch it down to a 6 if its just you and a buddy
I'm always remote so the 20# propane doesn't work for our style. It'll work I'm sure. Just be careful with adequate ventilation inside the tent. One hour burn time, fresh air inlet for a minute or two. People die every year to carbon monoxide poisoning.
This is the first trip see how logistics are and what we can learn from boots on the ground.
Next trip will be more adventurous.
Thanks again for all you do for the hunting community!

*zap*

WKR
I would take an 8 over a 6 anytime. I have a 6 (ti-goat vertix 7.5). One good thing with the ti-goat is that it takes a lot less stakes to fully stake and it has been solid so far. The bug net door velcros in/out also.... one door = less ventilation though.

20220913_190813.jpg

20220913_190919.jpg

Last edited:

adoyle

FNG
8 man with sxl stove and a pile of wood with 3 or 4 dudes with gear works great.