Seek Cimarron DCF Interior Space in Snow

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
If you're camped on a snowpack with a floorless shelter, you can dig *down* and carve out sleeping benches and tables and pee-holes.

Gives you a lot more headroom and adds functionality as well - just make sure you leave "pillars" for your poles. :D

Snow-loading is always a problem. If you're really getting that much snow regularly, you may want to swap to a Hilleberg or similar which is rated for it. Or just wake up more often and knock it off.

Cheers,
-mox

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
If you want to setup shop on an area that already has 3' of snow, how do you stake the tent down? Is there a difference in methodology for compacted snow vs fresh powder?

Thanks!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Regarding staking - see our deadman video or winter tips video from last year on YouTube

It’s all situationally dependent . Knocking it off is the best best if pitched to the ground . FYI ive seen tunnel tents collapse under snow loads that tipis still stand in albeit with reduced interior space .

If you know snow is coming pith is a little taller that evening so the snow has a place to go . I’ve been in a DCF cimarrok in 12 inches or so and just knocked it off every 2-4 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
You don't really ever stake into loose snow, you always stake into compacted, usually by stomping around to compress/melt and let it sinter/re-set into a block for 30 mins then actually placing the stakes. Usually you use snowshoes/skis to do the whole platform at once.

I have never tried spray-on teflon. Would be fun if it worked, though. Just research it before you try it, but DCF/dyneema may be fine since it's non-stretch and doesn't breathe anyways. *laugh*

I re-iterate: research first, maybe contact DuPont and let us know before you spray it on and something crazy like "it melts the tent" happens. :)

Cheers,
-mox

I've found the line locs really helpful in achieving a more vertical pitch for snow. Set up with the line locs fully tight so your base is properly oriented, then loosen them all the way, crank the pole up and tighten back down to adjust for any elevation differences. Really helps with maintaining a tight, vertical pitch and a lot of the snow will slide off.

We usually pack snow around our heads and sides to keep drafts out but leave space around the bottom of the door at our feet to help with condensation.

If you want to setup shop on an area that already has 3' of snow, how do you stake the tent down? Is there a difference in methodology for compacted snow vs fresh powder?

Thanks!
Look up "deadman", this works great in snow just using medium sized sticks

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So I'm thinking of where to place the stakes if I intend to raise the shelter 12" off the ground.

If you were to stake the shelter to the ground, you would stretch it taut and put the stake right where the material touches the ground. If you intend to raise the shelter, I'm envisioning that the staking point should be offset outside of the "shelter bottom material perimeter". Hard to describe that in words.

How do you go about staking the tent out if you intend to raise it by 12"? Stake it to the ground first and then offset the stakes after it is partially setup?

If you keep the same staking point as if you were staking it to the ground and just raise it up, it would change the angle of the shelter wall (making it steeper) and still give you essentially the same footprint area at the bottom. It would give you more headroom in some areas, but if you were to offset the staking points, it's essentially like you have a larger teepee if you were to carve into the snow and keep the tent wall at the same angle as if it were staked to the ground.

What's the best way to do it?

Stake out like you typically would. With line locks all the way down stake the four corners not too taught but where the fabric naturally relaxes to. Then setup your pole at a lower height and stake the other points semi-taught. Loosen all the line locks fully, crank the pole up, and adjust line locs as necessary.

It doesn't significantly shrink your footprint but it does give you quite a bit more height and the pitch feels more vertical.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You don't really ever stake into loose snow, you always stake into compacted, usually by stomping around to compress/melt and let it sinter/re-set into a block for 30 mins then actually placing the stakes. Usually you use snowshoes/skis to do the whole platform at once.

I have never tried spray-on teflon. Would be fun if it worked, though. Just research it before you try it, but DCF/dyneema may be fine since it's non-stretch and doesn't breathe anyways. *laugh*

I re-iterate: research first, maybe contact DuPont and let us know before you spray it on and something crazy like "it melts the tent" happens. :)

Cheers,
-mox
You can pitch in deep loose snow with a good deadman see video below

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but burying deadman anchors is not the same as staking into a surface.

You could bury your stakes as deadman anchors, and they will be a beast to get out once the repacked snow sinters overnight. Slippery knots go here, with sticks you can just leave in place. We had a recruit bury hardware overnight. Next morning everyone stood around in amusement while he tried to chop out his anchors and recover all of his gear from their icy tombs.

I have dug out many deadman-stakes for SAR work, but luckily so far no actual deadmen!

Cheers,
-mox

*zap*

WKR
I posted where to buy adhesive pull outs for dcf and here is a tutorial for non dcf material that you want to put pull outs on...

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I posted where to buy adhesive pull outs for dcf and here is a tutorial for non dcf material that you want to put pull outs on...

That looks to be more of a PU material. You can use our Sil repair patches to make your own .. it adheres pretty well .

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I wish the Cimarron door ties were reingorced to safely use as guy-outs. I would gladly carry the added weight for this and a second door tie.